Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefighter English

Dear Firefighters,

I have a private Blog in Germany about Firefighting. After some chats with firefighters from the United States I decided to start translating it in english. The problem is, that you use a lot of specific words which are really hard to find in dictionaries.

So, could you please give me a short feedback if the translation makes sence and are understandable? This is my Firefighter Blog.

It wold be a great help if you could give me a rough feeback.

Thanks for your support!

Best regards from Germany

Florian
    Last edited by Firefighter Germany; 10-28-2010, 03:48 PM.
    My private Firefighter-Blog about firefighting in Germany

I read most of the "Drill Yourself" entry and would have thought it had been written by a native English speaker. Sehr gut!
    “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Hi EastKyFF,

thanks for your feedback :-).

It is written by a native speaker, she helps me translating everything, but the problem is that she has no idea about firefighting. So I translated the special word by myself and I am not sure if these words are correct.

Best regards

Florian

Comment

Hey, just reading over sone of the posts. Looks good.
        By the way, I just got back from a trip to Dachau!
        Firefighting - one of the few professions left that still makes house calls.

Comment

Don't worry about the translation it is wunderbar!
          ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
          Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Just be aware that there is some terminology that a civilian just won't understand, whether it be in English or German... sometimes even the terms used by different parts of the same nation can be difficult to fathom.
            Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 10-27-2010, 07:34 PM.
            ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
            Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Feel free to drop by here and ask for a word as necessary. You could even post a photo and say, "Hey, we call this a _________. What is the English word for it?"
              “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
              ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Wow, looks wonderful.

Didn't see a single translation problem....great job!
                Jason Knecht
                Firefighter/EMT
                Township Fire Dept., Inc.
                Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
                http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
                EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

Hey Hansi. That's a pretty cool looking blog. I just skimmed a couple of the entries. I found a couple things I thought I'd point out. On August 11th, you say "It is intended to relieve the interior attack teams and carry important utensils." Utensils could be used that way, but it's generally used to describe silverware used for eating (Forks, Knives, etc.) Replacing "utensils" with "tools" would probably be more appropriate. You also left out an r at the end of interior in the first sentence.

On February 17th you say, "Particularly in North America, firefighters are ranked very high." I think it would be more appropriate to replace that with, "Particularly in North America, firefighters are highly respected." I think that's what you're trying to say.

I hope that's not being too nit-picky.

Comment

Translation

Hansi,
                    Great Job. Nice blog. Don't pay any attention to FF_Johnston. He couldn't start to translate English into Deutsch.
                    Your blog is sehr gut!

Comment

Hi guys,

thank you very much for your very motivating feedback. I hope you will find a few interesting information from the other side of the ocean.

I decided to change my profile from my nickname "Hansi" to my realname "Florian". Just in case you wonder :-).

@FF_Johnston

thanks four your feedback, I corrected it. It's not nit-picky, I learn with every feedback, so I appreciate it. And I love it to understand more and more the english phrases when I read your blogs and forums.

Best regards

Florian

Comment

Nice looking blog.

What's an escape hood?

Also, how did you get that picture of my wife in the tattoo article??
                        I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Florian - See if you can make contact with Armin Schlüter at Feuerwehr Kassel. He has been here many times and is quite familiar with the U.S. fire service. He speaks very good (but not perfect) English and may be able to help you.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
                            What's an escape hood?
                            Hi ChiefKN,

it should be such a thing. To rescue victims from area with smoke.

Best regards

Florian

Comment

Originally posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
                              Florian - See if you can make contact with Armin Schlüter at Feuerwehr Kassel. He has been here many times and is quite familiar with the U.S. fire service. He speaks very good (but not perfect) English and may be able to help you.
                              Hi chiefengineer11,

thanks for the tip, I'll try to find him.

Best regards

Florian

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X