X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dirty Axe
    Forum Member
    • Feb 2010

No Helmet Accessories?

Anyone else have a Dept. policy that says you can't have a band on your helmet for tools/accessories? I got thinking of this after reading the helmet thread (btw my Chief does hate leathers, and we all have to wear Dept. issued Bullard's... I don't have a problem with it, just adding to the discussion).

Anyway, I had chalks and a flashlight on my helmet one night on scene and our Safety Officer ripped into me about how that was against Dept. SOP. Of course I promptly removed them, but I had never heard this before. We are then, as far as I know, the only Dept around that doesn't allow this. Any others? He said it's a safety thing; it seems to me when I'm doing interior work, having to dig through my pockets to find my doorstops seems a lot more dangerous than being able to reach up and pull exactly the one I need (because I know where they were positioned) off my helmet.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

Stay safe all
  • FyredUp
    Forum Member
    • Jul 1999

Originally posted by Dirty Axe
    Anyone else have a Dept. policy that says you can't have a band on your helmet for tools/accessories? I got thinking of this after reading the helmet thread (btw my Chief does hate leathers, and we all have to wear Dept. issued Bullard's... I don't have a problem with it, just adding to the discussion).

Anyway, I had chalks and a flashlight on my helmet one night on scene and our Safety Officer ripped into me about how that was against Dept. SOP. Of course I promptly removed them, but I had never heard this before. We are then, as far as I know, the only Dept around that doesn't allow this. Any others? He said it's a safety thing; it seems to me when I'm doing interior work, having to dig through my pockets to find my doorstops seems a lot more dangerous than being able to reach up and pull exactly the one I need (because I know where they were positioned) off my helmet.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

Stay safe all
    Okay first of all, chalk is what you write on a bulletin board, chocks are what you block open a door with.

Second of all, it really isn't that big of a deal. If you always put your chocks in the same pocket how hard is it to find them really? I have some on my helmet and some in my left hand coat pocket. I can find either way almost equally as quick.

Thirdly, follow your departments S.O.G.'s.

It really is that simple.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

• jmitchell
      MembersZone Subscriber
      • Oct 2003

Every dept will always have it's own way of doing things. Just depends on whose writing the manual that day. I could see it being a safety argument depending on what is up there and want to say NFPA does not like anything added to a helmet. But technically, if your so deep in the fire that things on your helmet catch on fire, you got bigger problems.

Like I said, all depends on who is making the rules that day and we just have to follow them until we are put into the position to create policies ourself.
      "In general terms, firefighting isn't always about putting the fire out; its about making sure anything else doesn't catch on fire. What's burned is burned. Once you understand this, your tunnel vision is replaced by effective strategy."

Comment

• backsteprescue
        Forum Member
        • Apr 2004

Great quote in your sig Jmitchell!
        ------------------------------------
        These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
        ------------------------------------

Comment

• JJR512
          Forum Member
          • Sep 2010

A guy at my station (and he's a county/paid guy, too, not a volunteer) has a Batman figurine strapped to the side of his helmet:

-Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Comment

• Dirty Axe
            Forum Member
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by FyredUp
            Okay first of all, chalk is what you write on a bulletin board, chocks are what you block open a door with.

Second of all, it really isn't that big of a deal. If you always put your chocks in the same pocket how hard is it to find them really? I have some on my helmet and some in my left hand coat pocket. I can find either way almost equally as quick.

Thirdly, follow your departments S.O.G.'s.

It really is that simple.
            Thanks for that grammar lesson, really.

And no, it isn't that big of a deal - hence in my original post I said I was just curious (message boards are fun like that).

Is it much more difficult? No, it's not, but I've been in some fires where I've been low enough it would have been quite a bit easier to reach up instead of dig into a pocket and find the right size CHOCK. Again, just conversation. God forbid.

As for my department's operating guidelines, I'd like to think I covered that mentioning I promptly did as directed.

Simple. Thanks.

Comment

• Dirty Axe
              Forum Member
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by JJR512
              A guy at my station (and he's a county/paid guy, too, not a volunteer) has a Batman figurine strapped to the side of his helmet:

Ha! Love that. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• MarcusKspn
                MembersZone Subscriber
                • Jan 2006

Usually the reason given for SOG's like this are that they present an opportunity to get tangled up in wires and such.
                "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• PaladinKnight
                  Forum Member
                  • Aug 2006

Our SOPs don't allow anything attached or hanging on the helmets. This includes lights, straps, or decals. What they are issued is what they must wear.
                  HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

• PFDSquad47
                    Forum Member
                    • Sep 2010

My department allows nothing but department issued helmet decals. The only exception is a small American flag which is allowed but not supplied by the city. The flag must be on the rear of the helmet to the left of center above the brim. This began after 9/11 with the huge upswing in country pride. We wear Bullards also. Occasionally you will find somebody with a helmet band with different items but rarely. So to answer your question, NO we are not allowed to put stuff on our helmets.

Comment

• rm1524
                      MembersZone Subscriber
                      • Apr 2009

Have you looked at the department SOP? If not why? You make it sound that you have had these items on your lid for some time. So either you have not been following policy for some time and just got caught or it's some thing that you didn't know about.

Maybe I'm just different but every so often I sit down and look through our policy and procedure manual looking for anything that has been revised or added. I am in no way a safety sally or have the thing memorized, but I hate being asked why I wasn't following policy. It also saves on shoe leather by not having to go to a Chief's office and explain why I was not following policy.

Comment

• JTFIRE80
                        MembersZone Subscriber
                        • Jul 2006

Any "xtra's" must be approved by the Chief. I used to have a little troll...then he burnt up!! I miss that guy.
                        A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Comment

• FWDbuff
                          Forum Member
                          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by JTFIRE80
                          Any "xtra's" must be approved by the Chief. I used to have a little troll...then he burnt up!! I miss that guy.
                          you ARE a little troll
                          "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

• FWDbuff
                            Forum Member
                            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by PFDSquad47
                            Occasionally you will find somebody with a helmet band with different items but rarely.
                            Those guys with the black helmets???
                            "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

• LaFireEducator
                              Forum Member
                              • Apr 2004

We don't have a policy on helmet accessories, except that members are not allowed to, in any way, cover the large identification numbers on each side of the helmet.

That being said, it's basically impossible to put a band around the helmet and carry flashlights, chocks or anything else without partially blocking the numbers or the EMS star of life in the rear.
                              Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...