NY Roof Hook/Multi-Purpose Hook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Like EVERY other tool,they've been bastardized! Look,I don't make this schit up and I KNOW they come in several "flavors". The one I posted is the TRUE/ORIGINAL NY ROOF Hook. I have several of the other types on our rig as well. I've got 'em in 6,8,and 12's.Plus D ring closet hooks,Boston rakes,etc. There is enough stuff on the Ladder to work an Engine company and FOUR Truck companies. Tools,I GOT! T.C.

Golly, gosh. YAY?
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Fields Call me when you get a chance I will PM you my number I have some video's for you and I carry a 4ft one when I work. I love it so much better then a Pike Pole I wish I had a six foot one as well.

Comment

There is a good video floating around from I believe Durham, NC of a truckie pulling ceiling with a roof hook. Quite obviously shows the advantage over a pike pole.

Found it: http://thebravestonline.com/news.html?view=1&id=19345
        Career Firefighter
        Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
        I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

Originally posted by fieldseng2 View Post
          So really the "hook" (not the straight part) is used for grabbing things like pulling down fire escapes, raking thru debris during overhaul, and/or used as leverage like a fulcrum when prying up floor boards or roofing planks....?
          You can use it for whatever you want. It's your tool.

Comment

I get it does all the things a regular pike pole can do (ceilings/walls, raking thru debris, etc), some cases its better. Just curious what you else Brothers can use over another tool.

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
              Golly, gosh. YAY?
              Look at it like the Squad you're building up. WITH EXTRAS,hehe T.C.

Comment

Originally posted by fieldseng2 View Post
                I've found a few threads/posts about the NY Roof hook/Multi-Purpose Hook.

We've recently acquired the 4' version with D-handle. Most of the guys arent sure about all its uses.

I'm looking for some online instructional video, anyone know where I can find some? I've done a search, but either my computer or I'm is in the stuck on stupid mode and can't seem to find any.

Thanks.
                Is an instructional video on this basic of a tool necessary?

Comment

Originally posted by NoFireGeeks View Post
                  Modern day fire service...

Comment

Originally posted by Beastfighter View Post
                    Modern day fire service...
                    Pull ceiling? Whats that?

Comment

I dunno if it is or not...i was asked to find one. Ya, I know it's a basic tool. What I think the guys here wanna see is what can it do that a regular pike cant. Honestly,we dont see this particular tool very often...It's not standard issue around here. Every dept Ive worked for/with has never had this tool...just the standard pike pole.

So I guess since there is no one around here to say...."oh ya...you can do this, this , and that with this hook vs. your old fashion pike pole"...thats prob why they wanna at least watch sumthin that shows all its uses. There are some guys around here that even think the halligan is a worthless tool....so now you have some kind of idea what Im dealing with.

Sorry "NoFireGeeks" I'm not as smart or as experienced as you with this tool, just lookin for some support (ie teaching aid) to help me show my guys how to use this tool. Sometimes its takes more than just me trying to elucidate a new idea, tactic, piece of equipment, or in this case...a new tool to us.

Comment

I think basic use of hand tools is becoming a lost art. I used to assume everybody could read a tape , drive a nail ,and use leverage to their advantage. I was wrong big time.
                        The uses of your hand tools cant be aqquired in a single drill. You need to "pack a lunch" when you get an aqquired structure and spend the better part of a day trying out different tools side by side. Take the house apart -not only will you gain some insight on the use of the tools , you may pick up a thing or two about building construction. You need to try half a dozen ways of pulling or opening up , when you find a way that works - repeat it untill you run out of stuff to tear up. You dang sure arent going to wear them out - if if they are going to break - now's the time to find out.
                        ?

Comment

Fieldeng2, PM the address to your firehouse, I'll send you what we have on it. It will all be paper based, no videos I know of....although if I find anything, I'll kick it out.

The Haligan Hook, was invented by us years ago, we use it everyday for two positions on the truck....the roofman and outside vent man. It doesn't replace the standard hooks, but it is for specific duties of the outside team that makes it better in those cases. Some companies around the city will weld eyelets on the bases to facilitate the mounting of a 2-3' chain. When married with haligan bar, with the dame eyelet...you can vent from the floor above in buildings that have no fire excapes and out of reach of ladders. Its also better to use this hook than the standard to drop fire escape ladders...they control the rise and fall of the ladder with ease.

This thing has a ton of uses....just pm me you details, I'll mail them too you.

Stay Safe

VinnieB
                          IACOJ Member

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse