NY Roof Hook/Multi-Purpose Hook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NY Roof Hook/Multi-Purpose Hook

I've found a few threads/posts about the NY Roof hook/Multi-Purpose Hook.

We've recently acquired the 4' version with D-handle. Most of the guys arent sure about all its uses.

I'm looking for some online instructional video, anyone know where I can find some? I've done a search, but either my computer or I'm is in the stuck on stupid mode and can't seem to find any.

Thanks.

It isn't a real complicated tool. Pretty much anything a pike pole would be used for, it will do better.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

Yep...........

We have them, and they get work on a regular Basis. One thing that they do well is pull down "Plaster on Wood Lath" type interior Wall Covering...... They're also fairly easy to use on Tin items like Ductwork, old Tin Ceilings, Etc.........
      Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
      In memory of
      Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
      Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

I apologize if this seems obvious but please don't have your guys drive that tool into a ceiling or wall while holding the D-handle. That is a good way to hurt your wrist if you hit a stud or rafter. Any tool like that should always be driven with both hands on the shaft.

Both my career and volly FD's have FDNY Roof Hooks and we use them interchangeably with pike poles. Finding that most of the firefighters prefer and will grab the Roof Hooks first.

My volunteer FD has quite a variety of hooks from the traditional pike pole in various lengths to the San Francisco Pike, Boston Rake, and the LA Rubbish Hook. We have used them all on occasion and for the right task they all work fantastic.
        Crazy, but that's how it goes
        Millions of people living as foes
        Maybe it's not too late
        To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Originally posted by fieldseng2 View Post
          I've found a few threads/posts about the NY Roof hook/Multi-Purpose Hook.

We've recently acquired the 4' version with D-handle. Most of the guys arent sure about all its uses.

I'm looking for some online instructional video, anyone know where I can find some? I've done a search, but either my computer or I'm is in the stuck on stupid mode and can't seem to find any.

Thanks.
          A TRUE NY Roof Hook is 4-8' has the hook on one end and a pry adze on the other. NO D handle.
          Last edited by Rescue101; 02-19-2011, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
            A TRUE NY Roof Hook is 6-8' has the hook on one end and a pry adze on the other. NO D handle.
            My volly FD has a 4 foot with D-Handle, 6 footers with either a gas shut off or the pry/chisel type end, and 8 and 10 footers with the pry/chisel type end.

My career FD has 6 footers with the "Ram knob" end.
            Crazy, but that's how it goes
            Millions of people living as foes
            Maybe it's not too late
            To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

A TRUE NY Roof Hook is 4-8' has the hook on one end and a pry adze on the other. NO D handle.
              True dat. We're using them at work and the volly house too...I can't imagine using a D-handle version of the hook. Don't let it get you hurt!
              Career Fire Captain
              Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Yup, thats the one we have.
                Career Firefighter
                Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
                I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                  My volly FD has a 4 foot with D-Handle, 6 footers with either a gas shut off or the pry/chisel type end, and 8 and 10 footers with the pry/chisel type end.

My career FD has 6 footers with the "Ram knob" end.
                  Like EVERY other tool,they've been bastardized! Look,I don't make this schit up and I KNOW they come in several "flavors". The one I posted is the TRUE/ORIGINAL NY ROOF Hook. I have several of the other types on our rig as well. I've got 'em in 6,8,and 12's.Plus D ring closet hooks,Boston rakes,etc. There is enough stuff on the Ladder to work an Engine company and FOUR Truck companies. Tools,I GOT! T.C.
                  Last edited by Rescue101; 10-22-2010, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                    I apologize if this seems obvious but please don't have your guys drive that tool into a ceiling or wall while holding the D-handle. That is a good way to hurt your wrist if you hit a stud or rafter. Any tool like that should always be driven with both hands on the shaft.
                    BUMP
                    Couldn't agree more on this. Didn't realize this the first time I used one. Hand was sore for a week.

Comment

Originally posted by fieldseng2 View Post

4ft version works good in a basement with a 6-7ft ceiling. Also to hold the hood up on a car.
                      6ft D-handles are good on a roof. Gives you something to hold onto when pulling the cut back. And when pushing down the ceiling after, hold the head pushing the D handle down into the hole and it knocks the ceiling down pretty good.

Comment

Actually....a "true NY Roof Hook" comes in various sizes...most common..is 6-12' and is called a Haligan Hook and comes with either a pry or punch end. I guess putting FDNY in the catalog sells more....

Its used much like your standard hook....but you can pry with it...where as most wood or garbage fiberglass will break. This hook however; will bend. Its used in NYC on the Roof and OV positions. Its great for prying up just about anything you can find on a roof....mainly, tounge and groove roof material, vents, scuttle covers and skylights...etc etc. When pulling plaster and lathe....use the pry end for a purchase and then pieces that hole....otherwise you'll just spend too much enegry getting through.
                        IACOJ Member

Comment

Originally posted by VinnieB View Post
                          Actually....a "true NY Roof Hook" comes in various sizes...most common..is 6-12' and is called a Haligan Hook and comes with either a pry or punch end. I guess putting FDNY in the catalog sells more....

Its used much like your standard hook....but you can pry with it...where as most wood or garbage fiberglass will break. This hook however; will bend. Its used in NYC on the Roof and OV positions. Its great for prying up just about anything you can find on a roof....mainly, tounge and groove roof material, vents, scuttle covers and skylights...etc etc. When pulling plaster and lathe....use the pry end for a purchase and then pieces that hole....otherwise you'll just spend too much enegry getting through.
                          Bless you my son! Hehe T.C.

Comment

Umm..........

We have all 3 (Adz, Gas Shutoff, D Handle) different Ends, and nobody has had any problems with them that I'm aware of......
                            Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                            In memory of
                            Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                            Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

So really the "hook" (not the straight part) is used for grabbing things like pulling down fire escapes, raking thru debris during overhaul, and/or used as leverage like a fulcrum when prying up floor boards or roofing planks....?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X