Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reasons why Chiefs do not like NFPA leather helmets in volunteer depts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasons why Chiefs do not like NFPA leather helmets in volunteer depts?

I noticed that some Chiefs in vollie depts do not let their firefighters wear leather helmets even if they are NFPA.. (Phenix, N6A's, Conways etc.)

If they are VOLUNTEERS and not even paid, why the hate on even the NFPA leathers? Is there something I am missing here?

It may be as simple as being required to wear what the department provides....that way they know what it is, how old it is etc... in over 20 years and with dozens of Depts, I've never seen a Chief that 'hates' the leather helmets.....

Comment

Uniformity.

Being able to scan the fireground and being able to identify your guys, and where they are operating at what tasks, by the helmet style or color.
      Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

OR......Keep your people in COMPANY and it makes it REAL easy. T.C.

Comment

Nope, never seen a Chief that "hates" leather. I have, however, seen Chiefs that insist you wear what the department provides, for the reasons given by another post above, and I will go one step further- Perhaps the Chief is insistent in protecting his members from being denied any compensation by insurance companies if god forbid they are injured.
          "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Nothing wrong with individual taste and preferences...

But there is nothing more frustrating than looking out over a fireground at 47 firefighters wearing 47 different helmets and 47 styles of turn-outs.

It looks more like a Star Trek Convention than a scene.

And over there is the Blubian... standing next the Rostinome. Don't you see the sparkles sir?

Uniformity is key in Teamwork. Although, the pastels and decals make it easy to identify the hero.
            HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
              Uniformity.

Being able to scan the fireground and being able to identify your guys, and where they are operating at what tasks, by the helmet style or color.
              You do realize that leather fire helmets (at least the ones from Cairns) are available in several colors also.

Comment

Several years ago there was a study done by a group of scientists. It was an exhaustive study using volunteer firefighters from all over the U.S. It involved physicians, neurologists, chiropractors, and some of the top sports medicine doc's in the country.

The firefighters were put through physical agility tests of all kinds wearing their leather helmets. Bending, reaching, donning and doffing of SCBA. To determine why there was a huge spike in the amount of leather helmet related neck injuries. The team even went so far as to have very attractive women walk by to test the rapid head turning theory.

It all proved useless. The team was unable to prove exactly why the neck injuries were occurring to volunteer firefighters. They were all baffled. The study was ended and the participants were sent home. Through a stroke of luck and because all of the hotel rooms were booked because of a NASCAR race, a participant generously offered a room to a stranded scientist. It was there that night that a huge discovery was made. The volunteer was sleeping in his helmet. When asked if his colleagues also slept in their helmets, his answer was a "hell yes, we all do!". This proved to be the missing link. The study was recalled and a conclusion was formed. Volunteer firefighters when allowed to purchase their own leather helmets, were so proud of them, and thought they were so cool, that they were sleeping in them.

Maybe the volunteer chiefs got ahold of this study, therefore that is why you can't wear a leather helmet.
                IAFF

Comment

snowball, you have just created another classic post!

Comment

Originally posted by snowball
                    Maybe the volunteer chiefs got ahold of this study, therefore that is why you can't wear a leather helmet.

Ok... now you have spilled the #eans. That was closely held secret.

And thanks for making me spill my soda in my key#oard.

You owe me a new one since the key #etween the "V" and "N" is now non-functional.
                    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

Snowball you never cease to amaze me. All science trembles at the searing logic of your fiery intellect.
                      Matt G.
                      Battalion Chief
                      IACOJ-Member
                      FTM-PTB

Comment

Damn. And I was patenting a pillow for that! T.C.

Comment

Originally posted by SkullKrusher2010 View Post
                          I noticed that some Chiefs in vollie depts do not let their firefighters wear leather helmets even if they are NFPA.. (Phenix, N6A's, Conways etc.)

If they are VOLUNTEERS and not even paid, why the hate on even the NFPA leathers? Is there something I am missing here?
                          Hate then? No. But recruit/require guys that have at least a lick of common sense. How they spend $ is a good indicatior. As are driving habits, employment, work ethic, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by FireMedic049 View Post
                            You do realize that leather fire helmets (at least the ones from Cairns) are available in several colors also.
                            Yes.

My point was that this poster was implying that he wanted to buy his own leather helmet, which I took to mean that the department used another style. Therefore, if he purcahsed his own helemet he would not be uniform with the rest of the department. If other members were allowed to and decided to buy still another styles, the department would become less and less uniform.

I don't think most volunteer chiefs hate leather, but the simple fact is cost is a major consideration to most VFDs, and given that they can buy 3, or even 4salad bowls for the cost of 1 leather, purchasing leather helmets simply does not make good fiscal sense.
                            Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Maybe the chiefs were scared by a cow , when they were young ??
                              ?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X