I'm in dire need of some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm in dire need of some help

Not sure how you department works exactly but if he has gotten as far as the interview process he is good shape (from experience). Not saying that he is going to get it but good. As far as calling and telling how much he wants it? Not sure how much that will help, most everyone that applied really wants its so you'd be preaching to the choir. Again, not sure about your dept but from my experience, there is ALOT of politics involved. It would be good to get his name out there to the right people. I'm sure it would help more than hurt. Hopefully its not too late. Alot of times the "higher ups" know who they want so you're fighting for even less slots than you think. As far as, "the list" I am not sure they would send you something with everyone's name on it. On my department, I got a private phone call and was asked if I was still interested in the position. I hope all works out for you. Just be patient and hopefully that phone call or email will come.

Hopefully he gave a good interview and didn't "dazzle them with BS" Sometimes the most qualified and best person for the job gives a horsecrap interview. Sometimes the worst candidate gives the best interview. It's all people skills and if you have them, things will go well.

If he made it to the interview process, he has already beaten over half of the candidates. The interview is the time to sell yourself, make yourself stand out above the rest. Why should I hire you over the next guy? Hopefully he did that.

Sure, calling and talking to whomever will listen gets your name out. Calling or stopping by in person to check up on what is happening is always good however do not be a pest. Persistent - yes, annoying - no. Nothing in government goes fast. It takes time to go through the process of hiring someone. There are so many people involved and so many steps that it does take time and sometimes, no news is good news.

Even if he doesn't get this one, never stop looking. If he had the burning desire to be a firefighter for sake of being a firefighter and not just a job, if he is motivated by his heart and not his wallet, then he will get hired someplace eventually. You seriously limit your income potential by being a public servant!

Good luck!!
    Last edited by Dickey; 10-19-2010, 04:36 AM.
    Jason Knecht
    Firefighter/EMT
    Township Fire Dept., Inc.
    Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

If he wants to know, he should make the inquirey. He's a grown man. It is completely inappropriate for his girlfriend/wife/mother to call up and demand to know what her sweetie pie's status is and tell them how special he is. Trust me, that will not help.

And if they told him NOT to to inquire, I don't know why you're even asking this question. You sound like a psycho. If I were your BF, I'd be running very fast.
      Last edited by nmfire; 10-19-2010, 07:54 AM.
      Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Originally posted by uneasy
        He says that he was explicitly told not to contact them about the position,
        And THAT right there is all that you need to know. Why don't you back off and let your boyfriend handle his own destiny???

And for the record, if my girlfriend/wife/significant other/whatever came onto a National Forum (that is frequently monitored by hiring personnel) and mentioned his first name AND the hiring department (Gwinett County) you would now be an EX-girlfriend/wife/significant other/whatever.
        "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

I know you are just trying to help because you care about him. I commend that. Like some of these geezers on here would only be so lucky. It's better you come on here and ask for advice before you do something that could jeopardize his chances.

Unfortunately, in this situation there is nothing to do but wait. I know it stinks, but that is all you can do. Like what was mentioned above, he got the interview which is half the battle.

Good luck.

Comment

Well............

Good Morning. You are absolutely brand new at this, so I promise I won't yell at you. (Folks here say I do that sometimes) What you are really doing by asking this question in the manner that you did, is creating a problem instead of finding a Solution. I know what it feels like to sit home and wait for the phone to ring. Or not. Been there, done that, once on my own, once with a Wife and Son also worrying along with me........ Here's the Scoop: Many, if not virtually all, of the places that I know anything about, the Fire Department does not do the Hiring, they only participate in Part of the Process. Hiring, under Civil Service Rules, is done by a Political Subdivision's Personnel Department (or to be Politically Correct, the "Human Resources" Department) I'm reasonably sure in your case that this is the system in use there. These folks hire people for every County Department, Fire, Police, Roads, Trash, etc. and they're not focused on a single Agency within Government, they just bring folks in to help when needed for things like interview Boards, Physical Agility Testing, etc. Bottom line is that he's right when they said "Don't call us" Because they (FD) don't know anything. I hope this helps explain things a bit. Good Luck......
            Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
            In memory of
            Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
            Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Let it be. GCFS is a large department with an extensive hiring process.
              Career Firefighter
              Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
              I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

My advice test test test and then test some more

My opinion it is a matter of luck if he gets picked up
                Yes he has to put his best effort in

Keep on testing.
                Some processes are short some are long and drawn out
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Originally posted by fire49 View Post
                  My advice test test test and then test some more

My opinion it is a matter of luck if he gets picked up
                  Yes he has to put his best effort in

Keep on testing.
                  Some processes are short some are long and drawn out
                  Dude, did you even read this thread?
                  IAFF

Comment

For the record, I had no intentions of calling the FD or HR Department wanting to check the status of things for him, or tell them how fortunate they would be to hire my sweetie pie. I am concerned, which is something that I don't believe is damnable.
                    Really?

I've been adamant about contacting SOMEONE and getting his name out there so that they know about him and how badly he wants the job (because he does). They need to know who he is, because of how many people there are. At least that's how I see it.
                    So anyway.....

Also, if I'm freaking out for absolutely no reason, tell me.
                    Yes. So stop trying to interfere/intervene in something you have no business interfering in before you completely ruin "your sweetie pie's" chances of getting hired. Also, it would be nice to stop embarassing him on an international forum.

....a 19 year old girl.
                    Explains everything.
                    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

I only want to know how to delete things off of here.
                      The best you can do without moderator assistance is go back and edit each message you've posted to blank.

You might want to think about these things a little more carefully before posting (potentially permanent) messages on a national forum in the future.
                      Last edited by DeputyMarshal; 10-19-2010, 04:30 PM.
                      "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
                      sigpic
                      The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

I don't see what the problem is, in regards to the conflict that has arisen between the OP and certain members responding.

The OP is a concerned girlfriend who wants her boyfriend to be happy, wants him to get what he wants, and wants the best for him. That's great. Maybe some of you are jealous and wish you had someone like that?

The OP is an outsider to the whole world of the fire department, and because of that, does not know how it works. In regular business hiring and recruiting processes, it's usually a good idea for an applicant to contact the interviewer shortly after the interview, the purpose of which is ostensibly to thank the interviewer for his or her time and briefly say that you enjoyed it and feel you'll be a good fit for the company. The real purpose for this is to keep your name at the top of the interviewer's mind. The OP is probably familiar with this concept, which is why she feels so strongly that her boyfriend should be contacting someone.

And wanting her boyfriend to contact someone, and asking whether or not he should—asking how seriously do they mean "don't contact us"—is not the same thing as stating that she wants to contact them and ask if they're still thinking of her "sweetie pie".

I also read through the OP a few times and could not find where she mentioned her boyfriend's name.

So basically, what we have here is a concerned girlfriend who dared to jump into an alien world to try to find out a little bit more about it, in the interest of helping her boyfriend who wants to live in that world that's alien to her. All that needed to be said was an answer to her question—"No"—with a brief explanation of why not, of how this world works. I commend the bravery of the OP and I applaud those of you recognized this for what it was, didn't read more into it than what was there (the she herself wants to contact someone) or completely invent stuff (that she mentioned her boyfriend's name), and answered her directly and politely.
                        -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Comment

I have never said his name. You have no idea who I am. With that, there is absolutely no embarrassing factor. Your rebuttal to my first statement is completely invalid; I've wanted him to contact someone. That in no way means that I personally wanted to contact anyone. Hence why I came here for all of the reasons stated above.

I have no interest in going back and forth trying to win an insult war with you, which you seem to have an interest in doing for some reason that I can't fathom. I'm completely finished with this thread, and I only want to know how to delete things off of here.
                          HEY, you came in here after getting an account and posted this in several places.

You ask for help and suggestions. You received that!!

Don't get upset lady!
                          Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

deleted...
                            Last edited by PaladinKnight; 10-19-2010, 04:38 PM.
                            HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

Originally posted by JJR512 View Post
                              I don't see what the problem is, in regards to the conflict that has arisen between the OP and certain members responding.

The OP is a concerned girlfriend who wants her boyfriend to be happy, wants him to get what he wants, and wants the best for him. That's great. Maybe some of you are jealous and wish you had someone like that?

The OP is an outsider to the whole world of the fire department, and because of that, does not know how it works. In regular business hiring and recruiting processes, it's usually a good idea for an applicant to contact the interviewer shortly after the interview, the purpose of which is ostensibly to thank the interviewer for his or her time and briefly say that you enjoyed it and feel you'll be a good fit for the company. The real purpose for this is to keep your name at the top of the interviewer's mind. The OP is probably familiar with this concept, which is why she feels so strongly that her boyfriend should be contacting someone.

And wanting her boyfriend to contact someone, and asking whether or not he should—asking how seriously do they mean "don't contact us"—is not the same thing as stating that she wants to contact them and ask if they're still thinking of her "sweetie pie".

I also read through the OP a few times and could not find where she mentioned her boyfriend's name.

So basically, what we have here is a concerned girlfriend who dared to jump into an alien world to try to find out a little bit more about it, in the interest of helping her boyfriend who wants to live in that world that's alien to her. All that needed to be said was an answer to her question—"No"—with a brief explanation of why not, of how this world works. I commend the bravery of the OP and I applaud those of you recognized this for what it was, didn't read more into it than what was there (the she herself wants to contact someone) or completely invent stuff (that she mentioned her boyfriend's name), and answered her directly and politely.
                              I guess we found the boyfriend.
                              Career Firefighter
                              Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
                              I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X