X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Catch22
    MembersZone Subscriber
    • May 2000

Originally posted by Captain Easyrider
    Firemedic and catch22 I must be missing something here. from what I see here you have no confidence in your officers. That is truly sad. Where I am from many things are taken care of at the company level, and does not move up the chain of command unnesecarily, which in the world of documenting you can not do, once it's documented it moves up the chain.
    I'll let firemedic handle his own, but at no time have I said such a thing. Cameras just ensure that the officer is doing their job. If they are doing their job, it also helps them when it hits the fan, particularly if there's voice. Recordings like the one mentioned before, or on a video I use in driver training of an ambulance of a guy telling his driver several times "red light" reinforce the officer was trying to do his job and takes the liability off of them.

Regardless, the very fact that there are any number of apparatus accidents, particularly in apparatus owned by career departments where there's typically an officer in the front right seat, shows that there are officers and drivers out there not doing their job by ensuring the safety of both their crew and the public.

I have been an fortunate to be an officer for a long time in a large urban city. I would not say our drivers are better than where you are from, but I will say as fact that most problems are taken care of before you are even certified to drive.
    Now if you look back, I have never stated that cameras are bad if they are used properly and for the right reasons. look back at my post on the gps debacle I was in.
    PEACE
    Good for you and your urban city. I'm willing to bet there are still instances where a 20 year driver can intimidate a brand new officer and is able to violatte the rules. At the same time, I'm willing to bet there are instances when even a seasoned captain looks the other way. It's the nature of the beast, and can be expected. One of the benefits of a camera system such is this is that it backs up the officer and gives him some reinforcement when he says "slow down".

Comment

• Catch22
      MembersZone Subscriber
      • May 2000

Originally posted by NakedTillerman25
      Camera's= BAD JUJU in the Firehouse or the Firetruck. PG Put them in all county owned units and any newer Volunteer Owned units a while back....I like to hit the panic button on them and give a one-fingered salute to the Management of the PGFEMSD
      And there is a prime example of the immaturity and irresponsibility that leads to cameras being used for enforcement of policy.

Comment

• Captain Easyrider
        Forum Member
        • May 2010

Originally posted by Catch22
        Good for you and your urban city. I'm willing to bet there are still instances where a 20 year driver can intimidate a brand new officer and is able to violatte the rules. At the same time, I'm willing to bet there are instances when even a seasoned captain looks the other way. It's the nature of the beast, and can be expected. One of the benefits of a camera system such is this is that it backs up the officer and gives him some reinforcement when he says "slow down".
        Well Catch were going to have to agree to disagree. It is obvious to me that being from an urban dept. somehow upsets you.
        You can make up any scenarios to focus this discussion to your viewpoint. As I have said before cameras that are used for the proper purpose are fine, but In my experience someone will take that snapshot in time and twist it to their liking.
        PEACE

Comment

• Catch22
          MembersZone Subscriber
          • May 2000

Well Catch were going to have to agree to disagree. It is obvious to me that being from an urban dept. somehow upsets you.
          You can make up any scenarios to focus this discussion to your viewpoint. As I have said before cameras that are used for the proper purpose are fine, but In my experience someone will take that snapshot in time and twist it to their liking.
          PEACE
          I have no problem with urban departments, except when people try to use their employment at one as some form of stature.

Comment

• hwoods
            63 Years & Still Rolling
            • Jun 2002

Huh??..........

Originally posted by BoxAlarm187
            Nope, south of there. Spend a lot of time in 'em though. Hell, I was in gorgeous Prince George's today in fact.

And you didn't Stop at 18 to get your Passport Stamped??...........
            Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
            In memory of
            Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
            Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

• Captain Easyrider
              Forum Member
              • May 2010

I have no problem with urban departments, except when people try to use their employment at one as some form of stature.
              Did you ever consider that it might not be "stature" but experience that I speak from.
              PEACE

Comment

• islandfire03
                Forum Member
                • Oct 2006

Camera's= BAD JUJU in the Firehouse or the Firetruck. PG Put them in all county owned units and any newer Volunteer Owned units a while back....I like to hit the panic button on them and give a one-fingered salute to the Management of the PGFEMSD
                Sounds like you are on pre-release from 33

Those attitudes and worse are the exact reason drive cams were invented. To prevent arseclowns from driving heavy apparatus in unsafe and unprofessional manners.

Comment

• Catch22
                  MembersZone Subscriber
                  • May 2000

Did you ever consider that it might not be "stature" but experience that I speak from.
                  PEACE
                  OK, so you have experience in an urban city, which conistitutes what percentage of US FD's?

Regardless, you failed to answer the question I posed in regards to whether or not you're going to tell me that nothing in violation of department guidelines/policies ever happens. It may not on your truck, but you're isn't the only truck in the city.

Comment

• Bones42
                    Forum Member
                    • Mar 2001

Wow, tillerman Chris is back! Been a while since you have been posting around here...
                    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

• Captain Easyrider
                      Forum Member
                      • May 2010

OK, so you have experience in an urban city, which conistitutes what percentage of US FD's?

Regardless, you failed to answer the question I posed in regards to whether or not you're going to tell me that nothing in violation of department guidelines/policies ever happens. It may not on your truck, but you're isn't the only truck in the city.
                      Your Kidding right, did you miss that it is taken care of at the company level, by the officer in charge. Not going to debate percentages with you either or start the vollie vs. career that is not what this is about.
                      By the way, do you always obey the speed limit and traffic laws in your POV, if not maybe there should be a camera in your car too. The pd can just mail you a ticket.
                      PEACE

Comment

• NakedTillerman25
                        Forum Member
                        • Oct 2010

Yeah, I would like to tell the person who came up with COG numbering from NOVA exactly what I think!!! LOL.

Bones, yeah I got bored...the Watch Desk stinks now and I see there are some hot topics on here.

Comment

• BoxAlarm187
                          Let's talk fire trucks!
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by hwoods
                          And you didn't Stop at 18 to get your Passport Stamped??...........
                          If only time would allow! I did see the men extinguishing a box truck on fire on the interstate. I'll be by to visit soon.
                          Career Fire Captain
                          Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

• Catch22
                            MembersZone Subscriber
                            • May 2000

Your Kidding right, did you miss that it is taken care of at the company level, by the officer in charge. Not going to debate percentages with you either or start the vollie vs. career that is not what this is about.
                            By the way, do you always obey the speed limit and traffic laws in your POV, if not maybe there should be a camera in your car too. The pd can just mail you a ticket.
                            PEACE
                            If it's taken care of at the company level, that's great. However, I've seen some of the things in the fire service that are taken care of "at the company level", and at times that means someone looks the other way.

My POV isn't at issue here. If I opt to speed, I know dang well if I get caught there's going to reprecussions. At the same time, I know if I violate policy at work, there's going to be reprecussions, as does anyone else. Those reprecussions may be as minute as a mention of "hey, that's against policy, don't let me catch you doing it again" up to whatever maximum the disciplinary policy allows.

And I don't plan on starting a career vs. vollie debate. As a career chief officer I believe that volunteer departments should be held to the same standard in most aspects. As a volunteer chief officer I try to hone my personnel to meet that standard.

Comment

• Bones42
                              Forum Member
                              • Mar 2001

Yeah, I would like to tell the person who came up with COG numbering from NOVA exactly what I think!!! LOL.

Bones, yeah I got bored...the Watch Desk stinks now and I see there are some hot topics on here.
                              hmmm...Watch Desk. Haven't been there in ages...
                              "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

• BSFD9302
                                Forum Member
                                • Oct 2009

First sorry I have not read all of the posts. I only have a few more minutes before I need to go.

I have a question, Do the LEOs in this city have these cameras in the police vehicles? I am not asking to be malicious just wondering.

Also I agree, I have no problem with the cameras myself. Of course that is if the department has all of the equipment in good condition that is needed. No sense in spending money on cameras if bunker gear is needed. If there is a problem, the newer trucks have computers in them that can be downloaded to tell how fast a driver is going. Granted not all vehicle computers show where they are, but if there is an MDT then yes it can be cross referenced to show where they are or even simply use the MDT to determine where and how fast they were going. But it does not show driving habits either.

I do not like the sound option though. Yes you are at work and an employer has the right to put cameras up except in restrooms, locker rooms or sleeping quarters.

I really do not understand why the officer does not discipline the driver though. We do. If anything it should be for insubordination for not following the officer's commands.

Cameras are a double edged sword. When they help it is really not noticed but when it hurts everyone notices.

There has to be more to the story. What is not being said about why the cameras were purchased and installed. Did they have a high incident rate? Did their insurance costs drop by a large percent?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...