WTF, wake up guys!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beachfire View Post
    You just nailed Orange County Fire Rescues management style on the nose. The management creates a hostile work enviroment and Local 2057 is in a state of disaray right now. I think the guys/girls in the field are just fed up with being nickel and dimed for years by the management/county and being treated like children. This camera fiasco is just a drop in the bucket for Orange County.

+ 1000 nailed it

Comment

Originally posted by MikeWard View Post
      Just connected the dots, I used to work directly for your chief ....

JMac73 you may disregard my last question. I completely understand your work environment.

For this particular issue, the examples fire administration provided to the television station are pretty compelling, and reinforces your department's decision to implement the DriveCams.

If "Red light, Tony, red light! Jesus Christ, Tony!" or the image of a white car entering a green light intersection while the fire rig is closing in at 80 mph is followed by an explosion of smoke and parts ....

Your fire chief requires all of the rules, regulations and SOPs to be followed. He did it in Fairfax County, he did it in Savannah and he has been doing it in Orange County for almost a decade.

That's why they recruited him.

Hi Carl!

So you KNOW what I'm talking about.

Comment

Here is my bottom line.

The camera's should not be there. Your officers are responsible that the chauffeurs are doing their job safely.

I don't care what you say on here, you NEED to draw the line somewhere. If you don't your city will walk all over you.

My job is great. The guys I work with are great. Are we whats wrong with the fire service because we have strong solid union? Nope.

Comment

http://firehouse52.proboards.com/ind...ead=154&page=1

Firehouse52, check it out.

Comment

A a volunteer FF and citizen - this sounds to me like a bunch of whining to me.

I have YET to see one credible reason why a camera should not be there.

You are at work and entrusted to drive an emergency vehicle with 'due regard' for other motorists. There have been shown AMPLE examples on you tube, some cited here, where that clearly has not been the case.

As a whole - the fire service has failed to address this. The camera's are a tool to do this. Will it slow down responses - lilkely yes. Is that a good thing - well, in some cases yes it is. We need to get there and not kill somebody (or ourselves) in the process.

If you are concerned about other 'violations' being caught - the answer there is simple as well - don't break the rules!

I personally have zero problem with somebody recording how I drive - both hot and cold, and for the entire run. I have nothing to hide and who knows - I could learn something from it.

Comment

Originally posted by beachfire View Post
              What a happy bunch

As long as labor is in disarray, your collective ability to change, protect or improve your working conditions are weak.

Sorry.

Comment

sounds like for a chage money spent on a project is pay off. They payed 1 million for the cameras. Last year the city paid out $700,00 in claims, this year only $100,000. Next year they will be completly paid for due to the decrease in claims payment.
                Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?” (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Comment

What a happy bunch

As long as labor is in disarray, your collective ability to change, protect or improve your working conditions are weak.

Sorry.
                  I agree 100%. I feel for those guys and girls.

Comment

"United we bargain; divided we beg."
                    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
                    sigpic
                    The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

• Originally posted by The nots so new FNG View Post
                      A a volunteer FF and citizen - this sounds to me like a bunch of whining to me.
                      It is not your issue.

You can express an opinion, make an observation or issue a statement

But, unless you are/have been an employee of an urban fire department, you are just commenting on a movie or TV show.

Originally posted by Mike Ward on 2-hatters February 7, 2009

I no longer entertain the fantasy that I can change anyone’s mind, regardless of the research, examples or well-crafted message board postings. It is tiring to see the same inaccurate “facts” spewing from non-union firefighters when discussing (management-labor issues).

When the next event starts another barrage of message board posts by non-unionized firefighters, I will respond:

It is a Labor thing …
                      … you would not understand
                      Click on the red link to learn why.
                      Last edited by MikeWard; 10-17-2010, 09:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iessthename View Post
                        you've been around long enough to know what he and I were talking about then.
                        You're right, and I think in this case you guys are coming off as justifying your position by claiming everyone who disagrees is an inexperienced amateur.

[/QUOTE]dropping actual credentials, yrs on, ect... in my humble opinion goes in the same category as name dropping. it makes me feel dirty. but if you should know, major FD, east coast, 18 yrs on, very bad neck, close to retiring. if you were to ask around, you'd find a few guys on here that know me personally, nothing to hide.[/QUOTE]

Typically I agree. However, when you call people out for being inexperienced, it's about credibility. Not calling you a liar, just asking for you to back your play, which you have.

Now we have a difference of opinion and it's all good.

Comment

• Originally posted by TRUCK61 View Post
                          Fla. Firefighters Lose Battle Against Fire Truck Cameras
                          Twenty-one Orange County firefighters have been disciplined for serious safety violations so far.
                          ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. --
                          Orange County firefighters were so upset with new fire truck cameras that they tried to convince the state the cameras were illegal, but it didn't work.
                          "Red light, Tony, red light! Jesus Christ, Tony!" a firefighter is heard saying in the video.
                          A few years back I was told if there was a serious violation such as this and I did not deal with it, I would be dealt with. Told the chief, no problem I will immediately will pull him from behind the wheel during the run! His response was "you have that ability". My response to him was "you had better remember this conversation". I documented it after leaving his office.
                          Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?” (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Comment

• Originally posted by MassFireGuy View Post
                            Pass devices cannot be used against me. Camera's can.

It's not paranoia. It's reality. Anything can be construed as anything. If someone doesn't like you and wants you gone than this gives them the power to do so. This is why Unions were created.

Maybe its me. Maybe its because I'm in Massachusetts where you have to be in a union, but it works. I'm protected. My family is protected. I know I am paid well and that I cannot be fired for unjust reason.

I do not need big brother. No one does. Whats next? A camera in bedrooms to make sure no funny business is going on? What about the bathrooms. After all we could be doing drugs. DRAW THE LINE.
                            You just don't like the "government" being your big brother. But it's Ok for your union to be your big brother.
                            "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

• Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
                              "United we bargain; divided we beg."
                              Best post you ever had. Nice job.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
                                You just don't like the "government" being your big brother. But it's Ok for your union to be your big brother.
                                Yes.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X