Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain Easyrider
    replied
    Firemedic and catch22 I must be missing something here. from what I see here you have no confidence in your officers. That is truly sad. Where I am from many things are taken care of at the company level, and does not move up the chain of command unnesecarily, which in the world of documenting you can not do, once it's documented it moves up the chain.
    I have been an fortunate to be an officer for a long time in a large urban city. I would not say our drivers are better than where you are from, but I will say as fact that most problems are taken care of before you are even certified to drive.
    Now if you look back, I have never stated that cameras are bad if they are used properly and for the right reasons. look back at my post on the gps debacle I was in.
    PEACE

Leave a comment:

• rm1524
    replied
    I'll throw this out there. I personally don't have a problem with a camera being on the truck. As far as I'm concerned it could be recording all the time. I don't have a problem with it for two reasons.

1. The administration is wanting to protect their investment.

2. Training. As an ex-captain I have had a talk with a engineer about his driving and he said could not remember or see a problem with how he was driving. With a camera on all that you have to do is download it and then you and the driver are not having to try and remember a certain part of the trip. As an engineer now I would like to be able to watch and see if there is anything I could be doing to be a better operator of the truck.

I will be honest, the idea of having sound on a video is something that I would not like to see or hear. We talk about just about anything in the cab and what is talked about stays in the cab. It's kinda like a confessional.

Leave a comment:

• Catch22
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Easyrider View Post
    You must excuse me for my ignorance but at what point does the camera record what is said to the driver when he gets chewed out at quarters.
    Peace
    That's called a papertrail and why most departments require documentation of even an oral reprimand.

Leave a comment:

• FireMedic049
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Easyrider View Post
    You must excuse me for my ignorance but at what point does the camera record what is said to the driver when he gets chewed out at quarters.
    Peace
    It doesn't and it also doesn't record what isn't said to the driver. However, what the camera does do is record whatever caused the camera to activate and that's kind of my point.

Setting actual accidents aside, without documentation of the "bad driving" event or a citizen complaint on such, the officer could "ignore" the offense and the superior officers would probably not know about it. However, with video documentation of the event, somebody further up the food chain will know that it happened. This essentially puts the officer in the position of facing discipline himself if they don't address the issue.

So, as I said, this doesn't relieve the officer of their duties regarding the operation of their apparatus, it increases their accountability for it.

Leave a comment:

• Catch22
    replied
    Originally posted by islandfire03 View Post
    I'd wager a large bet that my friend LV has been laughing since reading your idiotic post.
    His son is older than that. I'd even bet he has shoes older than that.

You seem to forget that you are employed and have to answer to your employers whether you or your union like when the rules are broken.

go back and hide behind your mommies skirts !
    LV's probably spent more time on the firehouse crapper than this kid has spent in the firehouse!

Leave a comment:

• DeputyChiefGonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    No, but I wish we did.

The ambo where i work part-time has GPS with speed monitoring. Anytime the rig exceeds 74 MPH the owner gets an e-mail with the rigs location. He also has the ability to check all or any rigs speed live at any time. it doesn't bother me in the least.

He also has cameras in the yard and in the buildings. He even has one pointed at the crew quarters with a clear view of the patio. Again, he owns the business so it's his right to see anything and everything that goes on.

Sorta like the admin of the fire department has the same rights.
    Congratulations on finally learning how to use the quote feature.. it only took you what, 6 years?

Leave a comment:

• Jasper 45
    replied
    Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    There is absolutly no arguement in the world, including those thrown out by those unabashidly pro-labor and pro-union that can make a dent in the need for these camera in every response vehicle.
    Well, I’ll tell you what. When you find a way to start coughing up for physicals, we’ll find a way to cough up to put cameras in every rig. What, you think they’re free? Sorry, I’ll take staffing, gear and equipment that actually puts fire out.

Aren’t you the one who cries continually about “unfunded” mandates? Whatever.

Leave a comment:

• The nots so new FNG
    replied
    Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Oh my Achin azz! We don't have cameras in ANY of our vehicles and we don't have ANY troubles with these issues. PROBABLY because a CHIEF (or COMPETENT Fire officer) goes on every run and sets the pace for the run. T.C.
    What is sad - you could probably benefit from having them to *prove* you aren't at fault at incidents.

I see no issues with them - however they are mounted. Cmon, they can be mounted to window visors, the deck of the dash or any number of places. As an engineer - I would mount to a hardpoint and NOT to the glass. Its a better long term mount than a suction cup to make sure it stays where I want it.

Leave a comment:

• LaFireEducator
    replied
    Originally posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Do you have them in YOUR rigs?
    No, but I wish we did.

The ambo where i work part-time has GPS with speed monitoring. Anytime the rig exceeds 74 MPH the owner gets an e-mail with the rigs location. He also has the ability to check all or any rigs speed live at any time. it doesn't bother me in the least.

He also has cameras in the yard and in the buildings. He even has one pointed at the crew quarters with a clear view of the patio. Again, he owns the business so it's his right to see anything and everything that goes on.

Sorta like the admin of the fire department has the same rights.

Leave a comment:

• islandfire03
    replied
    Originally posted by why View Post
    I will answer you on 21st birthday (4/9/2011) Lvfd301. If its legal and no other rules are being violated, yes. Then you join the adults at the big boy table. where some management doesn't follow the rules including state statutes, federal statutes, SOPs(that they write), FLSA, and CBA but you said you need to finish law school before anyone can understand that legal stuff.

You haven't answered why its ok for management to break the law and not labor but please don't. I already know the answer. Hope when you become of age you get promoted.
    I'd wager a large bet that my friend LV has been laughing since reading your idiotic post.
    His son is older than that. I'd even bet he has shoes older than that.

You seem to forget that you are employed and have to answer to your employers whether you or your union like when the rules are broken.

go back and hide behind your mommies skirts !

Leave a comment:

• LVFD301
    replied
    Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    LOL, I bet LVFD wishes he was 21 again.
    LOL... I can't even begin to say what fun I would have...

Leave a comment:

• LVFD301
    replied
    I will answer you on 21st birthday (4/9/2011) Lvfd301. If its legal and no other rules are being violated, yes. Then you join the adults at the big boy table. where some management doesn't follow the rules including state statutes, federal statutes, SOPs(that they write), FLSA, and CBA but you said you need to finish law school before anyone can understand that legal stuff.

You haven't answered why its ok for management to break the law and not labor but please don't. I already know the answer. Hope when you become of age you get promoted.
    You know, you have given me the laugh of my day - week even. For some reason
    many of the DOB's here on Firehouse got corrupted. Suffice to say, when I turned 21 back in 1981, I was already paying union dues. Thats after leaving Active Duty in the Air Force.

I have been talking about a change when I retire - maybe law school will be just the ticket.

Leave a comment:

• BoxAlarm187
    replied

LOL, I bet LVFD wishes he was 21 again.

Leave a comment:

• why
    replied
    Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
    I have yet to see you answer my question.

So you are saying that if the cameras are simply remounted so they are not on the windshield your union will accept them with open arms?

Leave a comment:

• Captain Easyrider
    replied
    Originally posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    Actually, the officers would be further on the hook with the cameras than they would be without them. Without the cameras, if the apparatus driver did something like take a turn too fast, but not crash and no complaint is made, then there would be no immediate accountability for the officer whether he chewed out the driver back at the station or did nothing since nobody would likely "review" the incident.

However, if same situation occurred and it set off the drivecam, then now there is documentation of what happened and the officer can't "hide" or "ignore" the incident because someone will likely review the tape and be looking to see what action the officer took.
    Peace

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X