X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nmfire
    replied
    Originally posted by JMac73 View Post
    People are actually more concerned about getting caught talking about something than anything else. They record 20 seconds before an event and keep recording until 20 seconds after.
    Would it be that detrimental to their health to not bad mouth people for the 10 minutes spent on the truck going to/from calls?

Leave a comment:

• Whocares
    replied
    I am always shocked at the number of people who want cameras on them at work.

Leave a comment:

• JMac73
    replied
    They are cheap enough for every Engine, Truck , Squad and Rescue in a 41 station Dept to have one plus SOME Chiefs and support vehicles. All I am saying is that if you are THE Chief and you are being mandated by County Risk Management to do something you know is gonna go over like a fart in church then you need to step to the plate and put the first one in your car. If they are really no big deal than why not?

Leave a comment:

• BoxAlarm187
    replied
    JMac, if your drivers are doing the things alleged in the article, then the people around you are being helped by the cameras....assuming that they discourage possibly reckless driving.

Why would you expect the Chief of Department to have one? I can't imagine he's doing many (any?) emergency responses, and the camera systems aren't cheap...

Leave a comment:

• JMac73
    replied
    This is my Dept. the cameras suck something fierce. I have not heard of anyone being helped out by having one in their unit. Also, they are not in all units. Seems to me the first one should have been claimed by the Fire Chief, would have led to a lot less moaning and groaning. They have actually adjusted the sesitivity. When we first went got them they were going off constantly. People are actually more concearned about getting caught talking about something than anything else. They record 20 seconds before an event and keep recording until 20 seconds after.

Leave a comment:

• LVFD301
    replied
    Originally posted by MassFireGuy View Post
    Surprised the Union allowed this. Never happen here. Well, not without due compensation.

The only "due" compensation I can think of would be saving your *rse when you wanted the video to prove you were doing the RIGHT thing instead of the wrong in the time of a complaint.

Why would a union complain about such a safety feature? (don't answer, the question is clearly sarcastic)

Leave a comment:

• Catch22
    replied
    Surprised the Union allowed this. Never happen here. Well, not without due compensation.
    OK, why in the world would camera's require additional compensation? There's only a few purposes- for investigative/evidential purposes should the apparatus be involved in an accident, to assure adherence to policies/protocols, and for training purposes. I don't see that any of those put any additional responsibility that would warrant additional compensation for anyone.

Leave a comment:

• Acklan
    replied
    Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    I beleive Arcadian Ambulance, which covers most of the south half of the state have cameras, speed senors and brake sensors in all their rigs.
    Yep. That is the service, AASI, that I was referring too. They will also fire you for talking on the cell phone while driving. They started with FailSafe in the 1980's in an effort to reduce insurance cost. They are employee owned.

Leave a comment:

• LaFireEducator
    replied
    One of the best things for the fire service.

I wish we had them in our department.

While my private ambo service does not have cameras, they do have speed sensors with a pre-determined trigger point at 76 where the office gets an e-mail alert along with GPS coordinates, so they can determine exactly where the trigger speed occurred.

I beleive Arcadian Ambulance, which covers most of the south half of the state have cameras, speed senors and brake sensors in all their rigs.

Leave a comment:

• nmfire
    replied
    Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    Shouldn't the officers be doing that already?
    Yes. And if they were doing it, there would be no reason to install these things.

Leave a comment:

• BoxAlarm187
    replied
    Originally posted by MassFireGuy
    The more responsibility we take away from the officers, the less we need them. AND that is not good.
    Reading posts like this make me appreciate my department, and state. You'd want more compensation for getting a camera in your rig? What the hell does getting more money accomplish? And you work in a region where you're afraid that a camera is going to threaten the jobs of the officers. Unbelievable.

Back to the topic at hand, it sounds as though some of the officers might not have been doing their job, and perhaps the cameras came out of necessity. I could care less if they wanted to film my rig running up and down the street, personally....

Leave a comment:

• MassFireGuy
    replied
    Yes. The more responsibility we take away from the officers, the less we need them. AND that is not good.

Leave a comment:

• MassFireGuy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Capt387
    replied
    We are looking at it in my FD. I have a helmet cam and about two yrs ago I ha it on my helmet and would face it forward during runs and record. All the Chiefs knew I had it. I kept it on a while and for some reason took it off. I made comment one day I had to put it on and one of my drivers (we had caught doing a few things on camera) told me if I put it on "we are gonna quit driving for you". I told him "please do, and I'll show you a new address, the unemployment office!" I told him if he drove to the letter of the SOP's there wouldn't be any problems, asl that we were looking into on board cameras for the engines to protect the guys in the event of an accident. He quickly changed his tune.

Leave a comment:

• Acklan
    replied
    We did not have officers on the ambulance company. It was privately owned. I sorry I left that part out.
    I have personal taken FEOs off my engine and stepped a private up to drive till we could have a sit down with the chief. My engine is not a problem, but I know some that are. I think the cameras would be similar to the red light enforcement cameras. They would modify their behavior, somewhat, if they we certain the administration was reviewing their driving. I also believe it would also be a good tool for the training division use, went planning annual FEO training. I would go one step further and like to see the FailSafe system put on all units, engines, ladders, and all other department vehicles. It has proved to reduce accidents, and ware on the vehicles.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X