WTF, wake up guys!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LuteFish

I saw Lutefish on that show with Andrew Zimmer and the weird food he eats. Even he couldn't stomach only a small bite of Lutefish. Ya gotta wonder how some of these "Traditional Dishes" get started.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
      Isn't that called lutefisk?
      That is the nastiest stuff known to man. I was forced to eat it once. I still taste it, 17 years later.

Comment

• Originally posted by donethat View Post
        I saw Lutefish on that show with Andrew Zimmer and the weird food he eats. Even he couldn't stomach only a small bite of Lutefish. Ya gotta wonder how some of these "Traditional Dishes" get started.
        9 times out of 10 it's a fraternity initiation...
        So you call this your free country
        Tell me why it costs so much to live
        -3dd

Comment

• Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
          That is the nastiest stuff known to man. I was forced to eat it once. I still taste it, 17 years later.
          It has been a tradition with my family growing up. My mother is 100% Norwegian. Every year at Christmas or we would get together at a family event the snotty fish would be cooking. UGH!

I was forced to try it once when I was little and power puked all over the kitchen table. I think I was 6 or so, barely enough to remember the horrible emotional trauma to this day!!
          Jason Knecht
          Firefighter/EMT
          Township Fire Dept., Inc.
          Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
          http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
          EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dickey View Post
            I was forced to try it once when I was little and power puked all over the kitchen table.
            That is awesome. Shame we didn't have video cameras back then.
            I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

• I found this on wikipedia..

Quote from Garrison Keillor's book Pontoon:
              Lutefisk is cod that has been dried in a lye solution. It looks like the desiccated cadavers of squirrels run over by trucks, but after it is soaked and reconstituted and the lye is washed out and it's cooked, it looks more fish-related, though with lutefisk, the window of success is small. It can be tasty, but the statistics aren’t on your side. It is the hereditary delicacy of Swedes and Norwegians who serve it around the holidays, in memory of their ancestors, who ate it because they were poor. Most lutefisk is not edible by normal people. It is reminiscent of the afterbirth of a dog or the world's largest chunk of phlegm.
              Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 10-30-2010, 09:18 AM.
              ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
              Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

It's " TRADITIONALLY" Unpalatable. T.C.

Comment

• Hmmm............

Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
                  That is awesome. Shame we didn't have video cameras back then.

I dunno Ken, Matthew Brady did some experimental work on that back during the Civil War, around the same time Jason was starting Elementary School....... I'll look that up and get back.........
                  Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                  In memory of
                  Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                  Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

• This thread is doing wonders for my diet.
                    Steve
                    EMT/Security Officer

Comment

• Originally posted by cellblock View Post
                      This thread is doing wonders for my diet.
                      Good to see ya back cellblock. It's been awhile.
                      Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
                        Good to see ya back cellblock. It's been awhile.
                        I giggled when I read this. Somebody please tell me why?
                        IAFF

Comment

• Well.............

Originally posted by snowball View Post
                          I giggled when I read this. Somebody please tell me why?

Because you're easily amused????........................
                          Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                          In memory of
                          Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                          Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

I come from a proud culinary tradition that brings you such gems as "Blood Sausage" and "Head Cheese".

The way these dishes probably got started was along the line of:

"We have one cow, one pig, two chickens, a village of 500 people, and 4 months of winter coming up.....how can we make sure this feeds us all winter????"

The better question would be why some of these "traditional dishes" never stopped?
                            "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by MarcusKspn View Post
                              The way these dishes probably got started was along the line of:

"We have one cow, one pig, two chickens, a village of 500 people, and 4 months of winter coming up.....how can we make sure this feeds us all winter????"
                              I agree. All parts of the animals used to get used. I remember when I was young and going into the store with my mother and looking at the cow tongue and heart, and pig’s brains, knuckles and ham hocks. And tripe. The intestines. All parts of the animal you rarely see in the meat sections of stores now a days.
                              My German Grand Mother used to say they used all parts of the pig, even the squeal. Ha ha

Comment

• Originally posted by MarcusKspn View Post
                                I come from a proud culinary tradition that brings you such gems as "Blood Sausage" and "Head Cheese".
                                Same here. We call it red (blood) and white boudin. Use everything but the squeal and oink.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X