X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MassFireGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by nmfire View Post
    I used to put my own digital camera on my dash board when responding from home for the same reasons. I know I'm not driving in a stupid way, but it could sure prove it for me if questioned by some dumbass who is upset about having to pull over for 10 seconds. Or god forbid someone hits me and I have to defend myself. Course thats no longer an issue where I am now so that's long gone.
    I bet you post it on YouTube as well.

Leave a comment:

• nmfire
    replied
    There's lots of union guys here. Unfortunately, not all are as ticked off at life as you apparently are. It has nothing to do with big brother and politics. It has to do with not killing people and being responsible for your actions, and when you do that, protecting you.

Leave a comment:

• MassFireGuy
    replied
    I see there is not a strong Union membership here on these boards. I understand that most around here are volunteers. With that said, you need to stand up for yourselves at some point. You are not 5 years old. You do not need big brother watching you all the time. You are professionals. And with everything in life there are a few bad apples. What would you do if they wanted to plant GPS chips in your skin and call in "accountability" I know some of these yahoos around here would think it would be a good idea.

AND TO ANYONE OUT THERE THAT THINK THOSE CAMERAS ARE FOR YOUR PROTECTION, I have some ocean front property for sale in Arizona.

Leave a comment:

• MassFireGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Does your union expect extra compensation for you to wear seat belts?
    Seat Belts are a law. Different story entirely.

Leave a comment:

• nmfire
    replied
    I used to put my own digital camera on my dash board when responding from home for the same reasons. I know I'm not driving in a stupid way, but it could sure prove it for me if questioned by some dumbass who is upset about having to pull over for 10 seconds. Or god forbid someone hits me and I have to defend myself. Course thats no longer an issue where I am now so that's long gone.

Leave a comment:

• FireMedic049
    replied
    Originally posted by MassFireGuy View Post
    Yes. The more responsibility we take away from the officers, the less we need them. AND that is not good.
    The cameras really don't take away any responsibility from the officers regarding the operation of the apparatus. If anything, they actually increase the officer's accountability for the operation of the apparatus and potentially provide them with evidence to show they are doing their job regarding that.

Leave a comment:

• FireMedic049
    replied
    I would agree that this really is a non-issue unless you have a habit of doing things you shouldn't be.

We don't have them in our fire apparatus, but the vast majority of EMS agencies in the area have had them in their ambulances for several years now. When we first got them (at my side job), they did activate frequently. Oftentimes when turning off the station driveway because there's a bump there (for water run off) and we have to turn left or right. The sensitivity was adjusted and now they seem to be working just fine.

Nobody's been "disciplined" as far as I know for any of the recordings.

I know of at least two instances in which the camera's recording helped to back up crews involved in accidents. They clearly showed that the other driver was at fault for the accident and the driver of the ambulance was operating it properly.

I'd gladly welcome them at my FD, however considering the condition of some of our side streets (we still have several brick streets) I'm not sure if we could adjust the sensitivity far enough to prevent false activations.

Leave a comment:

• LVFD301
    replied
    There are some people on here who are stupid enough to feel that way.
    To me, the entire issue is a non-starter, and it aggravates me.

A good reason to have the cameras, and
    the reasons not to have them are inane at best.

"no compensation for having them"

"we can't have private conversations in the apparatus"

"the Chief does not have one"

It's idiotic at best.

Leave a comment:

• nmfire
    replied
    Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
    There are some people on here who are stupid enough to feel that way.

Leave a comment:

• BoxAlarm187
    replied
    Originally posted by JMac73 View Post
    Have you never said something that you wouldn't want to get out?
    Yep! And I remind my guys that the cab of the rig is NOT the place to say it, either. Too many "open mics" have let too much personal information out in the past. I remind them to always assume that the mic is on.

nmfire's above post is spot-on.

Leave a comment:

• LVFD301
    replied
    Surprised the Union allowed this. Never happen here. Well, not without due compensation.

Leave a comment:

• nmfire
    replied
    Originally posted by JMac73 View Post
    Have you never said something that you wouldn't want to get out? Guess we have always felt as the truck as a private place where you could talk about problems at home or anything else that may be bothering you. You know, kind of like a "Truck Trust Tree" Guess some people don't see it that way.
    Yes. Of course. Just like any other vehicle where the driver or passenger is a friend and we want to talk about something. But it's not like there isn't other venues to do it. In my opinion, the positive aspects of that kind of camera outweigh losing a place to have bro-talk. But that's my opinion and I'm a major apparatus driving safety advocate.

Unfortunately, like I said in the last seatbelt thread, if the road didn't kill and injure more of us than fire, I might have a different opinion.
    Last edited by nmfire; 10-16-2010, 08:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sfd1992
    replied
    Surprised the Union allowed this. Never happen here. Well, not without due compensation.
    There is probably a strong case to be made for this falling under "management rights".

Leave a comment:

• LVFD301
    replied
    Truck trust tree?

OMG....

That is just so.... Sweet.

Really, if you have to talk about how your wife is stepping out, or old Steve made a pass at you in the crapper last shift, go out behind the station onto the bench and chat it up.

Leave a comment:

• JMac73
    replied
    Would it be that detrimental to their health to not bad mouth people for the 10 minutes spent on the truck going to/from calls?
    Have you never said something that you wouldn't want to get out? Guess we have always felt as the truck as a private place where you could talk about problems at home or anything else that may be bothering you. You know, kind of like a "Truck Trust Tree" Guess some people don't see it that way.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X