WTF, wake up guys!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Captain Easyrider View Post
    You must excuse me for my ignorance but at what point does the camera record what is said to the driver when he gets chewed out at quarters.
    Peace
    It doesn't and it also doesn't record what isn't said to the driver. However, what the camera does do is record whatever caused the camera to activate and that's kind of my point.

Setting actual accidents aside, without documentation of the "bad driving" event or a citizen complaint on such, the officer could "ignore" the offense and the superior officers would probably not know about it. However, with video documentation of the event, somebody further up the food chain will know that it happened. This essentially puts the officer in the position of facing discipline himself if they don't address the issue.

So, as I said, this doesn't relieve the officer of their duties regarding the operation of their apparatus, it increases their accountability for it.

Comment

You must excuse me for my ignorance but at what point does the camera record what is said to the driver when he gets chewed out at quarters.
      Peace
      That's called a papertrail and why most departments require documentation of even an oral reprimand.

Comment

• I'll throw this out there. I personally don't have a problem with a camera being on the truck. As far as I'm concerned it could be recording all the time. I don't have a problem with it for two reasons.

1. The administration is wanting to protect their investment.

2. Training. As an ex-captain I have had a talk with a engineer about his driving and he said could not remember or see a problem with how he was driving. With a camera on all that you have to do is download it and then you and the driver are not having to try and remember a certain part of the trip. As an engineer now I would like to be able to watch and see if there is anything I could be doing to be a better operator of the truck.

I will be honest, the idea of having sound on a video is something that I would not like to see or hear. We talk about just about anything in the cab and what is talked about stays in the cab. It's kinda like a confessional.

Comment

• Firemedic and catch22 I must be missing something here. from what I see here you have no confidence in your officers. That is truly sad. Where I am from many things are taken care of at the company level, and does not move up the chain of command unnesecarily, which in the world of documenting you can not do, once it's documented it moves up the chain.
          I have been an fortunate to be an officer for a long time in a large urban city. I would not say our drivers are better than where you are from, but I will say as fact that most problems are taken care of before you are even certified to drive.
          Now if you look back, I have never stated that cameras are bad if they are used properly and for the right reasons. look back at my post on the gps debacle I was in.
          PEACE

Comment

• Originally posted by rm1524 View Post
            I personally don't have a problem with a camera being on the truck. As far as I'm concerned it could be recording all the time. I don't have a problem with it for two reasons.

1. The administration is wanting to protect their investment.

2. Training. As an ex-captain I have had a talk with a engineer about his driving and he said could not remember or see a problem with how he was driving. With a camera on all that you have to do is download it and then you and the driver are not having to try and remember a certain part of the trip. As an engineer now I would like to be able to watch and see if there is anything I could be doing to be a better operator of the truck.

I will be honest, the idea of having sound on a video is something that I would not like to see or hear. We talk about just about anything in the cab and what is talked about stays in the cab. It's kinda like a confessional.
            My thoughts exactly. I will add a 3rd....to keep the driver and crew honest with their actions.
            Jason Knecht
            Firefighter/EMT
            Township Fire Dept., Inc.
            Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
            http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
            EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

• Video? Sure. Sound? Nooope.

Comment

Firemedic and catch22 I must be missing something here. from what I see here you have no confidence in your officers. That is truly sad.
                Yeah, I think something is missing in translation. No, it's really not a confidence issue in my officers, in part because we're a small career department and we frequently don't have an actual officer on one or both apparatus.

Where I am from many things are taken care of at the company level, and does not move up the chain of command unnesecarily, which in the world of documenting you can not do, once it's documented it moves up the chain.
                And that's where a lot of it should be taken care of. I was originally discussing the assertion that the cameras (specifically the drivecam style) somehow less the officer's role regarding the operation of the apparatus.

I think what they do is pretty much the opposite. The officer should still be handling these driving "issues", however with video documentation that presumably is reviewed outside the company, the officer's accountability for handling the situation should be increased. The officer would no longer be in the position to "ignore" the problem because doing so would put them in a position to be "disciplined" if they didn't address it. Without the camera documentation, the brass may not know that a driving issue isn't being addressed - hence the increased accountability.

Now if you look back, I have never stated that cameras are bad if they are used properly and for the right reasons. look back at my post on the gps debacle I was in.
                PEACE
                That's fine and I wasn't debating your view on the cameras themselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by The nots so new FNG View Post
                  What is sad - you could probably benefit from having them to *prove* you aren't at fault at incidents.

I see no issues with them - however they are mounted. Cmon, they can be mounted to window visors, the deck of the dash or any number of places. As an engineer - I would mount to a hardpoint and NOT to the glass. Its a better long term mount than a suction cup to make sure it stays where I want it.
                  If I'm going to "benefit" from a camera,it will be a REAR vision version. We're not currently running over enough cars or having enough near misses to even begin thinking about EVENT cameras. That will be the NEXT Bosses job. Not needed HERE. T.C.

Comment

• Camera's= BAD JUJU in the Firehouse or the Firetruck. PG Put them in all county owned units and any newer Volunteer Owned units a while back....I like to hit the panic button on them and give a one-fingered salute to the Management of the PGFEMSD

Comment

• Originally posted by NakedTillerman25 View Post
                      Camera's= BAD JUJU in the Firehouse or the Firetruck. PG Put them in all county owned units and any newer Volunteer Owned units a while back....I like to hit the panic button on them and give a one-fingered salute to the Management of the PGFEMSD
                      And you wonder why they install the cameras to start with?

Comment

Camera's= BAD JUJU in the Firehouse or the Firetruck. PG Put them in all county owned units and any newer Volunteer Owned units a while back....I like to hit the panic button on them and give a one-fingered salute to the Management of the PGFEMSD
                        Nice. Very mature of you.
                        Career Fire Captain
                        Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

• Yeah, I like to think so...if I am going to be treated like a Child that needs to be babysat all the time, I might as well act like one. BoxAlarm187, I see you are from Virginia....are you part of a COG Jurisdiction?

Comment

Yeah, I like to think so...if I am going to be treated like a Child that needs to be babysat all the time, I might as well act like one. BoxAlarm187, I see you are from Virginia....are you part of a COG Jurisdiction?
                            Or maybe your being treated like a child because you act like one.

Comment

Yeah, I like to think so...if I am going to be treated like a Child that needs to be babysat all the time, I might as well act like one. BoxAlarm187, I see you are from Virginia....are you part of a COG Jurisdiction?
                              I'm glad we have guys like you to set the example for the rest of us.
                              Get the first line into operation.

Comment

BoxAlarm187, I see you are from Virginia....are you part of a COG Jurisdiction?
                                Nope, south of there. Spend a lot of time in 'em though. Hell, I was in gorgeous Prince George's today in fact.
                                Career Fire Captain
                                Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X