Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF, wake up guys!!!!!

Fla. Firefighters Lose Battle Against Fire Truck Cameras
    Twenty-one Orange County firefighters have been disciplined for serious safety violations so far.
    ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. --
    Orange County firefighters were so upset with new fire truck cameras that they tried to convince the state the cameras were illegal, but it didn't work.
    "Red light, Tony, red light! Jesus Christ, Tony!" a firefighter is heard saying in the video.
    Even his fellow firefighters were scared, as an Orange County firefighter blew a red light at a busy intersection going more than 40 miles an hour.
    Another firefighter was caught going more than 80 mph in the middle of the night as he approached a red light.
    Another one barely slowed down as he barreled toward oncoming traffic on the wrong side of the road. All were captured with drive cams that were installed in 120 fire rescue trucks.
    "We have also seen violations of internal county policy," said Assistant Chief Vince Preston, Orange County Fire Rescue.
    But some firefighters sent an email to the Florida Highway Patrol and questioned whether the cameras were legal.
    State law prohibits anything on the windshield that obstructs or impairs the driver's clear view, but there are new exceptions.
    "GPS meets the definition for that so it's entirely appropriate," Preston said.
    The fire chief sent his own inspectors inside the fire trucks to see if the drive cams obstruct the drivers view and found the driver has a clear view out of both windshields and these drive cams are no different than you having something like an e-pass in your windshield.
    "The program works," Preston said.
    Twenty-one firefighters have been disciplined because of what was captured with the cameras for serious safety violations.
    No one has been fired. Contrary to popular belief, firefighters don't have the right to speed. They can only go ten miles over the posted speed limit even when responding to calls.

Wake up guys, you not only put you and your company in danger because of your stupidity, but you put everyone person that is in your path on the way to your call in danger too!!!! You guys are lucky that they don't try to fire you for being negligent.

I think it's a great idea. I worked for an ambulance company years ago that used a system called "FailSafe". It took about 6 month to weed out the problem drivers but since then, from what I hear, crashes are down dramatically. I would like to see them installed on our units.

Comment

Originally posted by Acklan View Post
      It took about 6 month to weed out the problem drivers
      Shouldn't the officers be doing that already?
      "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
      sigpic
      The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Acklan View Post
        I think it's a great idea. I worked for an ambulance company years ago that used a system called "FailSafe". It took about 6 month to weed out the problem drivers but since then, from what I hear, crashes are down dramatically. I would like to see them installed on our units.
        When I was in college driving a private amboblance we had those.

Pain in the rear, but they did keep you from doing anything sudden and jerky. No doubt providing a better ride for those in the back.

We still had crashes, I survived one where my partner was driving like an idiot down a snowy interstate. Jerk... still mad at him after 20 years.
        I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
          We did not have officers on the ambulance company. It was privately owned. I sorry I left that part out.
          I have personal taken FEOs off my engine and stepped a private up to drive till we could have a sit down with the chief. My engine is not a problem, but I know some that are. I think the cameras would be similar to the red light enforcement cameras. They would modify their behavior, somewhat, if they we certain the administration was reviewing their driving. I also believe it would also be a good tool for the training division use, went planning annual FEO training. I would go one step further and like to see the FailSafe system put on all units, engines, ladders, and all other department vehicles. It has proved to reduce accidents, and ware on the vehicles.

Comment

We are looking at it in my FD. I have a helmet cam and about two yrs ago I ha it on my helmet and would face it forward during runs and record. All the Chiefs knew I had it. I kept it on a while and for some reason took it off. I made comment one day I had to put it on and one of my drivers (we had caught doing a few things on camera) told me if I put it on "we are gonna quit driving for you". I told him "please do, and I'll show you a new address, the unemployment office!" I told him if he drove to the letter of the SOP's there wouldn't be any problems, asl that we were looking into on board cameras for the engines to protect the guys in the event of an accident. He quickly changed his tune.
            Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?” (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Comment

Surprised the Union allowed this. Never happen here. Well, not without due compensation.

Comment

Yes. The more responsibility we take away from the officers, the less we need them. AND that is not good.

Comment

Originally posted by MassFireGuy View Post
                  Surprised the Union allowed this. Never happen here. Well, not without due compensation.
                  Originally posted by MassFireGuy
                  The more responsibility we take away from the officers, the less we need them. AND that is not good.
                  Reading posts like this make me appreciate my department, and state. You'd want more compensation for getting a camera in your rig? What the hell does getting more money accomplish? And you work in a region where you're afraid that a camera is going to threaten the jobs of the officers. Unbelievable.

Back to the topic at hand, it sounds as though some of the officers might not have been doing their job, and perhaps the cameras came out of necessity. I could care less if they wanted to film my rig running up and down the street, personally....
                  Career Fire Captain
                  Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Yes. And if they were doing it, there would be no reason to install these things.
                    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

One of the best things for the fire service.

I wish we had them in our department.

While my private ambo service does not have cameras, they do have speed sensors with a pre-determined trigger point at 76 where the office gets an e-mail alert along with GPS coordinates, so they can determine exactly where the trigger speed occurred.

I beleive Arcadian Ambulance, which covers most of the south half of the state have cameras, speed senors and brake sensors in all their rigs.
                      Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
                        I beleive Arcadian Ambulance, which covers most of the south half of the state have cameras, speed senors and brake sensors in all their rigs.
                        Yep. That is the service, AASI, that I was referring too. They will also fire you for talking on the cell phone while driving. They started with FailSafe in the 1980's in an effort to reduce insurance cost. They are employee owned.

Comment

OK, why in the world would camera's require additional compensation? There's only a few purposes- for investigative/evidential purposes should the apparatus be involved in an accident, to assure adherence to policies/protocols, and for training purposes. I don't see that any of those put any additional responsibility that would warrant additional compensation for anyone.

Comment

The only "due" compensation I can think of would be saving your *rse when you wanted the video to prove you were doing the RIGHT thing instead of the wrong in the time of a complaint.

Why would a union complain about such a safety feature? (don't answer, the question is clearly sarcastic)

Comment

This is my Dept. the cameras suck something fierce. I have not heard of anyone being helped out by having one in their unit. Also, they are not in all units. Seems to me the first one should have been claimed by the Fire Chief, would have led to a lot less moaning and groaning. They have actually adjusted the sesitivity. When we first went got them they were going off constantly. People are actually more concearned about getting caught talking about something than anything else. They record 20 seconds before an event and keep recording until 20 seconds after.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X