Cribbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cribbing

Im sure this quesiton has been asked before.
    It was brought up in a training, "can we linseed cribbing"?
    I was taught that if you paint or linseed the wood it can become slippery, and unstable when exposed to fluids. Plus with wood cribbing wouldn't linseed oil be a waste of money?
    Any Thoughts???

Originally posted by hellfighter3184 View Post
    I was taught that if you paint or linseed the wood it can become slippery, and unstable when exposed to fluids. Plus with wood cribbing wouldn't linseed oil be a waste of money?
    Any Thoughts???
    You are correct, painting or "treating" cribbing would make them slippery and hard to grab by gloved hands and maybe causing them to slip between each other.

The best bet is to get plain old wood, if you really have money to burn get green treated wood, but wood scraps are the best. Staple a small chunk of rope to one end and you are done. This way if they get oil or fluids spilled on them you can toss them and replace them.
    Jason Knecht
    Firefighter/EMT
    Township Fire Dept., Inc.
    Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

My first reaction would be, why would you want to? I know about treating axe handles and such with linseed oil, but cribbing? A good tool properly cared for can last for years, but I would consider cribbing sort of an expendable commodity (not that you'd just throw it away after use, but how pretty does it have to be, really?)

I would think it might make it kind of slick. I definitely wouldn't paint it for the same reason, and also the paint might hide damage and cracks that you'd want to be aware of.
      Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
      Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
      Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
      — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Comment

Originally posted by hellfighter3184 View Post
        Any Thoughts???

Over here bubba, >> http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...light=cribbing
        Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Well..........

Correct Answer is Maybe.........

Some years back, we wanted to Paint some Cribbing and Stepchocks, But someone raised the "Slippery" question.... I mixed Play Sand into exterior Latex and brushed it on. Worked Great.......

Next Point - You Guys up Cars for Extrication Training?..... Save all the Seat Belts. An 8 inch piece of Belting, Folded over into a Loop and attached to the End of the Piece, makes a great Handle. Painted Cribbing can be Hosed off and Dried and kept in Service, where unpainted Wood may have to be Disposed of....

We never buy Cribbing, just do a little "Dumpster Diving" on Construction Jobs and we have all we need.....

Last Thing - There is a Laminated Wood Beam in common use around here, with a 14 inch width and a 2 inch thickness. We use 22 inch long pieces of that for Jack Pads - Nothing Better.......
          Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
          In memory of
          Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
          Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X