"In Service" or "Out of service."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Departments across the nation are arguing brownouts because they're delaying the fast arrival of the closest appropriate fire apparatus, be that engines, trucks, or the like. In your scenario, you're effectively doing a 20-minute brownout to hang a banner.

Dateline: San Francisco, next week: "San Francisco Fire Department officials today are defending their actions that the closest ladder truck to yesterday's fatal fire was allowed to be out of service to hang a banner at the local church. They state that they can't say for certain if the ladder truck could have made a difference when the two children died, however, they state that the 3 minutes that it would have taken to ready the vehicle to go back in service was too long. Ladder trucks are used to perform 'search and rescue' for people who might be trapped by flames and smoke. More on this at 11"

Sorry bro, I can't agree with you that the ladder should be OOS for this public service detail.
    How about flag arches for parades and funerals?
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Originally posted by nyckftbl
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Comment

Originally posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
      Im honored that you still have my quote in your sig.
      Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Comment

Originally posted by nyckftbl View Post
        Im honored that you still have my quote in your sig.
        I am pleased that you are honored.
        Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
        -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Originally posted by nyckftbl
        LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Comment

I am impressed that you are pleased that he is honored! (Now this could get really drawn out)

Comment

when the hell did I hit 2000 posts? lol
            Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Comment

Well, about 133 posts ago!
              Shawn M. Cecula
              Firefighter
              IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Comment

God you talk alot!!

Jason Knecht
                Firefighter/EMT
                Township Fire Dept., Inc.
                Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
                http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
                EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

Excellent question, and one that I don't have a good answer for. I can only speak for my area, where I've never seen a flag arch for a parade, although it's standard fare for LODD funerals. We're lucky enough in our area that a lot of times we (and surrounding departments) can use reserve ladders for this detail.
                  Career Fire Captain
                  Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

In Service.

Comment

At the Volly House, we don't go OOS; at work we go unavailable except for Fire's dispatched.
                      A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Comment

In Service Out of Service

Thanks you all for taking the time to answer my question.

Stay safe!

Comment

Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
                          Departments across the nation are arguing brownouts because they're delaying the fast arrival of the closest appropriate fire apparatus, be that engines, trucks, or the like. In your scenario, you're effectively doing a 20-minute brownout to hang a banner.

True. But a 20 minute brown out for a detail is different then a 24 hour brownout because of not manning a company
                          If I get a call from my Bn Chief telling me to do something like mentioned here, I will call the dispatcher and get a ticket for a service call. It will be a run and I will have the company out of service for the duration. We have (at least) 4 companies OOS every day, and our arson squad was CLOSED today. If someone high up on the food chaln feels this is more important, I won't take the chance of getting one of my men injured rushing to bed the ladder to respond to something else.
                          Also, there's another reason I have it as an assigned run. If someone is injured (fall, cut, whatever) or we get into an accident going or returning I will be able to justify the activity on the injury or accident report. CYA

Comment

Len, I see where you're coming from, it certainly appears that isn't even a regional thing, it varies from department to department. We only have an incident started for, well, incidents....whereas it appears to be commonplace with JCFD.

Regardless, I'm not taking my company out of service for something like this, nor would my BC approve of such.
                            Career Fire Captain
                            Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

We don't put any rigs OOS for the majority of Pub Ed events or jobs. They may go to a delayed response, but that isn't the norm. As well, I won't take any rig OOS for a freaking headlight. By the time you hang up with dispatch, I'm going to tell you to call them back.

As for the Flag raising for Memorials and such, we have the rigs do a changeover to a reserve, so we show our best side for such functions, and still have those areas covered if needed.

I see Tenderloins point. But I don't see where putting it out of service is being responsible to the general public's safety.

FM1
                              I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
                              "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

Ok...........

Originally posted by Tenderloin View Post
                                HWoods In short, your Question was too well researched, so just what is it you're up to???.......

Ever have the feeling you are certain about something, only to find there are other opinions. I worked on a Truck Co many years. We use to go out of service if a headlight was being changed to get the best response times.
                                Yes, I have researched this. I'm continuing to research it here.
                                I like most people want to be right, am looking for support that I may not find and have to admit I'm wrong, once again.

OK Bro, No Problem. I Understand, and Good Luck to You.......
                                Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                                In memory of
                                Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                                Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X