Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 19fire90
    replied
    as long as it stays in the district, I see no reason to take it out of service. even if it takes a minute to put the ladder down, the crew is already on it, and should have their gear ready to go. if it takes 2 or 3 minutes longer to get on scene, so be it.

Leave a comment:

• Tenderloin
    replied
    In Service Out of Service

Sounds like TheresonlyOne 2 thinks that San Francisco's Johnson Bars are bigger than anyone else's.

The SFFD honchos say it would take up to 5 minutes to bed the ladder and that's good enough for them to respond.

If someone wanted to "brown out" a firehouse, there would be cries
    that response times will take 5 minutes longer and 300 seconds count.
    I would be shouting the same thing.

What I'm saying is 5 minutes is 5 minutes anyway you look at it.

Leave a comment:

• TheresOnlyone2
    replied
    Tenderloin,
    Not sure where you worked, but here at SFFD we have this little thing called "fast idle". It a great piece of technology [ sarcasm ] and it does not take us 5-7 minutes to bed the ladder and raise the jacks, even under conditions where wires are an issue as well as other complications that would further delay bedding the ladder and raising the jacks. Not saying were "all that" but when it comes to throwing the aerial with all the wires and other hazards, we know what were doing. Trust me when I say if Control says " stand by for the BOX " and then puts that truck on the box, that truck will be on the road in under 3 minutes. I've experienced that situation many times during drills.

If you would like to pursue this further, set up an appointment with CD2, I'm sure he'd love to hear what you have to say or go to one of the Commission meetings and spew your concerns and watch their reactions. As far as what SJ or LA does or doesn't, that shouldn't have an impact on our ability to continue our tradition of helping the public in what you may call " unorthodox" ways while staying in service. Sorry your department wasn't able to multi-task by staying in service while doing a public assist. I'm so thankful we have concerned citizens like this in S.F. armed with fire service knowledge. [ sarcasm ]. Cant wait for your imput on high pressure hydrants, the 50, the johnson bar, cisterns, and leather helmets and what SJFD and LAFD has to say about them.
    Last edited by TheresOnlyone2; 10-15-2010, 03:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    replied
    Ok...........

Originally posted by Tenderloin View Post
    HWoods In short, your Question was too well researched, so just what is it you're up to???.......

Ever have the feeling you are certain about something, only to find there are other opinions. I worked on a Truck Co many years. We use to go out of service if a headlight was being changed to get the best response times.
    Yes, I have researched this. I'm continuing to research it here.
    I like most people want to be right, am looking for support that I may not find and have to admit I'm wrong, once again.

OK Bro, No Problem. I Understand, and Good Luck to You.......

Leave a comment:

• FIREMECH1
    replied
    We don't put any rigs OOS for the majority of Pub Ed events or jobs. They may go to a delayed response, but that isn't the norm. As well, I won't take any rig OOS for a freaking headlight. By the time you hang up with dispatch, I'm going to tell you to call them back.

As for the Flag raising for Memorials and such, we have the rigs do a changeover to a reserve, so we show our best side for such functions, and still have those areas covered if needed.

I see Tenderloins point. But I don't see where putting it out of service is being responsible to the general public's safety.

FM1

Leave a comment:

• BoxAlarm187
    replied
    Len, I see where you're coming from, it certainly appears that isn't even a regional thing, it varies from department to department. We only have an incident started for, well, incidents....whereas it appears to be commonplace with JCFD.

Regardless, I'm not taking my company out of service for something like this, nor would my BC approve of such.

Leave a comment:

• len1582
    replied
    Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Departments across the nation are arguing brownouts because they're delaying the fast arrival of the closest appropriate fire apparatus, be that engines, trucks, or the like. In your scenario, you're effectively doing a 20-minute brownout to hang a banner.

True. But a 20 minute brown out for a detail is different then a 24 hour brownout because of not manning a company
    If I get a call from my Bn Chief telling me to do something like mentioned here, I will call the dispatcher and get a ticket for a service call. It will be a run and I will have the company out of service for the duration. We have (at least) 4 companies OOS every day, and our arson squad was CLOSED today. If someone high up on the food chaln feels this is more important, I won't take the chance of getting one of my men injured rushing to bed the ladder to respond to something else.
    Also, there's another reason I have it as an assigned run. If someone is injured (fall, cut, whatever) or we get into an accident going or returning I will be able to justify the activity on the injury or accident report. CYA

Leave a comment:

• Tenderloin
    replied
    In Service Out of Service

Thanks you all for taking the time to answer my question.

Stay safe!

Leave a comment:

• JTFIRE80
    replied
    At the Volly House, we don't go OOS; at work we go unavailable except for Fire's dispatched.

Leave a comment:

• S.B.6.F.D
    replied
    In Service.

Leave a comment:

• BoxAlarm187
    replied
    Originally posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    How about flag arches for parades and funerals?
    Excellent question, and one that I don't have a good answer for. I can only speak for my area, where I've never seen a flag arch for a parade, although it's standard fare for LODD funerals. We're lucky enough in our area that a lot of times we (and surrounding departments) can use reserve ladders for this detail.

Leave a comment:

• Dickey
    replied
    Originally posted by nyckftbl View Post
    when the hell did I hit 2000 posts? lol
    God you talk alot!!

Leave a comment:

• Lewiston2FF
    replied
    Originally posted by nyckftbl View Post
    Well, about 133 posts ago!

Leave a comment:

• nyckftbl
    replied
    I am pleased that you are honored.

Leave a comment:

• LVFD301
    replied
    I am pleased that you are honored.
    I am impressed that you are pleased that he is honored! (Now this could get really drawn out)

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X