X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefighters told to buy their own turnout gear

I am not sure if this has been posted yet, I can't find it....so enjoy

http://flashovertv.firerescue1.com/M...-Own-Turnouts/

Well I did hear of this story on Statter911 it is the first time I've actually heard and listened to the video. Thanks for the posting. What I would want to do with those council members who wanted the fire fighters to buy their own gear and voted against the proposal would probably put me in jail.

Comment

Ohio is an OSHA state. Hasn't anyone explained to these bozos that they're required to supply PPE to their employees by law? Morons.
      "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
      sigpic
      The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
        Ohio is an OSHA state. Hasn't anyone explained to these bozos that they're required to supply PPE to their employees by law? Morons.

That city fathers probably have, but they [firefighters and policemen] are dealing with dimwitted council people and a mayor who dislikes firefighters and policemen!!

They are trying everything they can to make life miserable for these two protective class employees!
        Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by SRLFD448 View Post

This is yet another example of why the control and oversight of Fire and EMS should be in the hands of a dedicated, independent, elected Fire Commission with direct tax authority, rather then part of a City or County Government.

Comment

Originally posted by SRLFD448 View Post

The council passed the motion to purchase 8 sets of gear (more than 5yr old less than 10yr old). Why are you stirring?

Perhaps the Chief needs change his approach so his purchasing matchs the logic he is presenting to his council. Put gear as a line item in his annual budget. Then order items as needed to replace damaged/worn out gear rather than doing head to toe (note spending $1900/FF) for multiple sets in one order.

Stated to be working off a contract anyhow so no cost benefit to ordering 8 sets vs 1 set. Can't make a logical case that have worn out/need to replace coat/pant/boots/helmet/hood/gloves all the same day. A smart tactician would order helmets when they are needed (and keep a few on hand as inventory). Same for gloves/hoods. Boots orders as needed or resole (except Globes). Order coat/pants as unrepairable economically.

Comment

Originally posted by BFD Commish View Post
              This is yet another example of why the control and oversight of Fire and EMS should be in the hands of a dedicated, independent, elected Fire Commission with direct tax authority, rather then part of a City or County Government.
              Why? There's no gaurantee that the elected fire commissioners will be any better than the elected general government. They're all politians with their own personal agendas regardless of the particular structure of the governing body. Neither system is inherently better than the other.

(I happen to live in a town where the fire districts (3 of them) are tax authorities seperate from the town government. I'd much prefer to take my chances with the town government than with the district boards.)
              "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
              sigpic
              The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

Originally posted by neiowa View Post
                The council passed the motion to purchase 8 sets of gear (more than 5yr old less than 10yr old). Why are you stirring?
                He's simple showing the moron mentality of some of the people who consider themselves to be "fiscal conservatives"...
                ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
                  Why? There's no gaurantee that the elected fire commissioners will be any better than the elected general government.
                  Most of our commissioners here aren't politicians. District elections are in December, so they are pretty far from the public consciousness.

If there is one advantage to having a fire district, it's that the sole purpose is fire protection. They can't claim that the {insert any department} department needs the money worse and take it away from the fire department to fund said "need."

That's not to say that there isn't animosity between fire districts and fire departments from time to time, but usually the core operations of the fire department get funded regardless.
                  Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

I know this is not going to be a popular. However, I fail to see what would be wrong about these well paid, union benefit receiving firefighters having to "pay" for a set of gear "they" will use on the job. Notice the words pay and use in quotes.

This brings to mind a few jobs I had as an employee where this was normal to have to pay for some job related items out of pocket. I experienced the same thing as an IC (independant contractor) and of course, when I ran my own business. The difference is, if you aren't working and putting out a good product as a contractor or employee you are gone. You aren't complaining about the expense of having to sacrifice a little.

I understood at times, in order to get the job done, a little sacrifice would be required and this could mean spending some money to get money.

if you take the time to look and know the individuals involved you simply end up shaking your head. Some, not all public servants can rightly be considered public leaches. I don't care to hear about one more petty union grievance or whining in this sector.

Comment

CharlieD.. are you a firefighter? Yes or no.
                      You must have missed this....
                      Ohio is an OSHA state. Hasn't anyone explained to these bozos that they're required to supply PPE to their employees by law?
                      Asking firefighters to buy their own gear is like asking a recruit at the Great Lakes Naval Training Station to buy the ship he will be serving on... or a Marine to buy the weapons he will be in combat with... or the F22 Raptor driver to pay for his aircraft before he retires from the USAF and parlays the training he recieved into a career at one of the major airlines....

Using your analogy (and we all can see the 1st four letters of that word) They will be "using" the ship and their weapons for their tours of duty....

Some, not all public servants can rightly be considered public leaches.
                      Most them run for public office and set up their own rules for pay, pensions and such under the guise of "Performing public service"... while screwing the various departments by arbitrarily cutting budgets by pulling their "numbers" out of the air and out of their arse".
                      ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                      Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieD View Post
                        I know this is not going to be a popular. However, I fail to see what would be wrong about these well paid, union benefit receiving firefighters having to "pay" for a set of gear "they" will use on the job. Notice the words pay and use in quotes.

This brings to mind a few jobs I had as an employee where this was normal to have to pay for some job related items out of pocket. I experienced the same thing as an IC (independant contractor) and of course, when I ran my own business. The difference is, if you aren't working and putting out a good product as a contractor or employee you are gone. You aren't complaining about the expense of having to sacrifice a little.

I understood at times, in order to get the job done, a little sacrifice would be required and this could mean spending some money to get money.

if you take the time to look and know the individuals involved you simply end up shaking your head. Some, not all public servants can rightly be considered public leaches. I don't care to hear about one more petty union grievance or whining in this sector.
                        Where do you draw the line then? Do the crews pay for maintenance of the vehicles and equipment?

I see the natural division being at 'Equipment MANDATORY for to perform the job' being covered by the employer. Anything in addition is covered by the employee.
                        Last edited by ljm; 10-13-2010, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Judging from"CharlieD's" writing style....

Hello Scarecrow...
                          Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
                            Judging from"CharlieD's" writing style....

Hello Scarecrow...

He's baaaaack!

What are all the different names Scarecrow has gone by through the years? I've seen a couple of incarnations, though I'm sure some of you guys who have been here longer have seen more.

Comment

Originally posted by Rock307 View Post
                              He's baaaaack!

What are all the different names Scarecrow has gone by through the years? I've seen a couple of incarnations, though I'm sure some of you guys who have been here longer have seen more.

Sure looks like it to me.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X