Rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rain

The good news is we finally got .25" of rain today, which is the first time we have seen precipitation in almost a month.

The bad news is we are still over 16" below normal rainfall for the yeqar, and it is going to be warm and sunny for the rest of the week, and by Wednesday, we'll be back to 2-4 brush runs a day and at least one 25 plus acre fire every week.

At least this will give us a couple of days "off".

I'm more than certain we will be flooded by calls tomorrow by citizens thinking that today's drizzle has canceled the burn ban.

How are the folks in ARK, east TX, MS and OK dealing with the fire weather?
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    The good news is we finally got .25" of rain today, which is the first time we have seen precipitation in almost a month.

The bad news is we are still over 16" below normal rainfall for the yeqar, and it is going to be warm and sunny for the rest of the week, and by Wednesday, we'll be back to 2-4 brush runs a day and at least one 25 plus acre fire every week.

At least this will give us a couple of days "off".

I'm more than certain we will be flooded by calls tomorrow by citizens thinking that today's drizzle has canceled the burn ban.

How are the folks in ARK, east TX, MS and OK dealing with the fire weather?
    Praying for rain in west Tennessee. We've had a fine example recently of exactly what can happen.

To all you firefighters: Stay safe out there and lets hope the idiots can find something less dangerous to do besides starting fires.
    All Pit Bulls are not bad dogs. All bad dogs are not Pit Bulls.

Resist ignorance. Educate - Inspire.
    www.badrap.org

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa2000GT View Post
      Praying for rain in west Tennessee. We've had a fine example recently of exactly what can happen.

To all you firefighters: Stay safe out there and lets hope the idiots can find something less dangerous to do besides starting fires.
      The parish fire chiefs put a burn ban on about 3 weeks ago after a 500-acre fire in a neighboring parish, which also burned over the line into ours. The 4 neighboring parishes also put burn bans into effect as well.

A statewide burn ban was put into effect early last week.

Since then, things haven't been too bad except for a very large fire in a dry lakebed which had been drained' The fire burned for almost a week in our parish and then another week in the parish to our west (which I also volunteer in). I'm not sure but I think they are calculating that the fire burned about 700-800 acres between the 2 parishes.

For the most part, people have been not burning, though the last couple of days, we have had a few fires started by out of control burning. The folks here love to burn and you can tell they are getting ansy. The vast majority of our fires have been started in semi-unpreventable ways - shredding truck tires on the interstate, cigarettes being tossed out, arcing wires and trains creating sparks.

There is no doubt in my mind that we will have fires later in the week started by folks who either think the burn ban has ended due to the rain, or have decided they will burn anyways now that they think things are now too wet to burn.

Comment

The parish fire chiefs put a burn ban on about 3 weeks ago after a 500-acre fire in a neighboring parish, which also burned over the line into ours. The 4 neighboring parishes also put burn bans into effect as well.

A statewide burn ban was put into effect early last week.

Since then, things haven't been too bad except for a very large fire in a dry lakebed which had been drained' The fire burned for almost a week in our parish and then another week in the parish to our west (which I also volunteer in). I'm not sure but I think they are calculating that the fire burned about 700-800 acres between the 2 parishes.

For the most part, people have been not burning, though the last couple of days, we have had a few fires started by out of control burning. The folks here love to burn and you can tell they are getting ansy. The vast majority of our fires have been started in semi-unpreventable ways - shredding truck tires on the interstate, cigarettes being tossed out, arcing wires and trains creating sparks.

There is no doubt in my mind that we will have fires later in the week started by folks who either think the burn ban has ended due to the rain, or have decided they will burn anyways now that they think things are now too wet to burn.
        I don't know about the rest of the country, but as I recall it's bonfire season for you guys in Louisiana. That always started right along with football and goes through New Years, doesn't it? Although I also seem to recall those things require a permit, isn't that right?
        Last edited by Lisa2000GT; 10-11-2010, 07:25 PM.

www.badrap.org

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa2000GT View Post
          I don't know about the rest of the country, but as I recall it's bonfire season for you guys in Louisiana. That always started right along with football and goes through New Years, doesn't it?
          Yup.

This year it started very early - early July - because it was so dry and hot. There is a pretty good chance we will beat the previous high brush fire total which was set back in the 80's.

Right now the long term forecast is still looking pretty dry, and much of the longer and very short grass and small trees have died and dried out early this year, so there is plenty of fuel around.

As a rule it ends in early to mid-January, but a few years ago it went into mid February under the same conditions. Given the drought situation, that's a pretty good possibility it will this year as well.

Comment

So do you make entry into a forest to put out a fire LA Fire?

Comment

Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
              hahahahahahaha LV made a funny
              Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?” (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Comment

Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
                Yes.

Unless there are factors that prevent it, we are quite aggressive in attacking wildland incidents.

Comment

Of course! It's OUTSIDE! Sorry,you left the door open,hehe T.C.

Comment

FINALLY getting some rain in Milan, Gibson County, TN. It's a nice steady rainfall. Hope it holds out like this for a while.

www.badrap.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
                      Of course! It's OUTSIDE! Sorry,you left the door open,hehe T.C.
                      Ya, I sure did.

I should have expected somebody to kick it in.

(Good thing I didn't leave a JetAxe laying around.)

Comment

BAH! Just enough to get the streets wet and done!

www.badrap.org

Comment

Really you guys are praying for Rain?
                          Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushwhacker View Post
                            Really you guys are praying for Rain?
                            Sure as heck am.

When you're down 16" for the year and running on fires like we are, I'm doing a rain dance every evening and morning.

Hasn't worked yet though.

Comment

Ya, I sure did.

I should have expected somebody to kick it in.

(Good thing I didn't leave a JetAxe laying around.)
                              OOOOOh JET AXE! Haven't used one of them in YEARS! T.C.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X