Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fyrmnk
    replied
    Great job to the Capt! enjoy your well deserved retirement.

Leave a comment:

• deputychief1441
    replied
    Great Job Capt. Good Luck on your retirement!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    Couldn't get the flowchart to post
    Last edited by Rescue101; 10-18-2010, 10:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    Originally posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    We preach that NIMS/ICS should be used at every single fire.

We find that the problem is not with NIMS, the problem is when people try to implement every single tiny part of the NIMS puzzle.

If it's a small fire NIMS/ICS is very easy:

Chief Officer assumes Command

Company Officer is task force leader

His crew is his task force.

Chief tells the company officer what he wants done, company officer tells his crew how he wants it done. Crew reports progress to the company officer, who passes it on to command.

There, you just used NIMS/ICS, pat yourself on the back.

You only add more parts to your little NIMS/ICS if you NEED it.

The problem is not with NIMS/ICS, the problem is that often people think that every tiny little square & circle needs to be filled in.
    Now if we could just get that TINY lil snippet across to 75% of America,hehe T.C.

Leave a comment:

• MarcusKspn
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Easyrider View Post
    Now that this thread has gone 7 pages, why don't we end it with. Good job Capt. Stone best of luck on your retirement!
    PEACE
    Guys like Capt. Stone may even save a life well into his retirement.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Easyrider
    replied
    Now that this thread has gone 7 pages, why don't we end it with. Good job Capt. Stone best of luck on your retirement!
    PEACE

Leave a comment:

• DeputyMarshal
    replied
    "Deputy 1 on the scene assuming liability"
    You're definitely on the right track. Hell, the lawyers seem to figure we're liable for must stuff whether we're even there yet as it is...

Leave a comment:

• Captain Easyrider
    replied
    now that we have settled the ICS debacle, can we get to the root of the problem. LITIGATION. I believe that someday we will arrive on scene with the following radio communication. "Deputy 1 on the scene assuming liability"
    PEACE

Leave a comment:

• MassFireGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    I'm right with you there. It sucks that the fire service didn't have enough national leverage to keep control of our own show instead of falling under DHS.
    I KNEW we could agree on something.

Leave a comment:

• DeputyMarshal
    replied
    Originally posted by MassFireGuy View Post
    Department of Homeland Security needed to do something to justify their existence
    I'm right with you there. It sucks that the fire service didn't have enough national leverage to keep control of our own show instead of falling under DHS.

Leave a comment:

• MassFireGuy
    replied
    NIMS is nothing more than a mechanism for the LEO's to play along.
    PEACE
    This and...

Department of Homeland Security needed to do something to justify their existence since delivering water after disasters did not work out well for them.

Leave a comment:

• DeputyMarshal
    replied
    well batman, riddle me this. If the command structure is the same as before, why do we need ICS.
    I didn't say it was the same as before, I said the basics were the same.

and low and behold it looks just like what we had already
    Not entirely. ICS took a lot of "best practices" together in one place based on the experience of a braod segment of the fire service (not just the forestry service but they get credit for getting the ball rolling).

Oh and if you have been around for a while you will know the original ICS was not intended to change local structure, rank or nomenclature, see how that worked out.
    As it turns out, I have been around a while and don't entirely agree. It was never intended to change local structure or rank or nomenclature but it did introduce standard terminology for all of those things for use within the ICS structure.

NIMS is nothing more than a mechanism for the LEO's to play along
    LEOs have been invited/encouraged to play along since at least 1986. Like all things voluntary, few of them bothered to adopt ICS on their own. It's not so much NIMS itself that makes it mandatory for the LEOs (and others) to play along if they want to come to federally run events, but the executive order that makes NIMS the federal ICS.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Easyrider
    replied
    well batman, riddle me this. If the command structure is the same as before, why do we need ICS. You can buy a vowel if you like. I'll give you a hint the 70's and lots of trees. Yes the forest service created the system, and low and behold it looks just like what we had already. Oh and if you have been around for a while you will know the original ICS was not intended to change local structure, rank or nomenclature, see how that worked out. NIMS is nothing more than a mechanism for the LEO's to play along.
    PEACE

Leave a comment:

• DeputyMarshal
    replied
    Yea, we have re invented the wheel again! Now its called NIMS/ICS. But it oddly resembles the command structure we had for 100+ years. But now we get matching vests!
    PEACE
    Vests have nothing to do with ICS.

ICS resembles the command structure we've had for 100+ years just like modern fire engines resemble the ones we had 100 years ago. There have been numerous refinements but the basics remain.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Easyrider
    replied
    Yea, we have re invented the wheel again! Now its called NIMS/ICS. But it oddly resembles the command structure we had for 100+ years. But now we get matching vests!
    PEACE

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X