Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

packs on the roof

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
    And while I agree, I think it is safe to say that most people figured we were talking about going to the roof to vent.

    Althought thats not always the case.

    Dangit, there I go again...
    Your post indicated the only reason to be on a roof was to vent. Even if that is true (its not), venting takes many forms, only one of which is cutting a hole directly over a fire.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by PaladinKnight View Post
      Our guys wear packs for flue fires and ventilation, not much else. They are likely to be reassigned anyway and should have all of their equipment on.


      A few years back, I had an Officer that didn't know what the call was when his crew arrived... He had the crew put on full PPE w/air on for a guy stuck in a chimney. I got a lot of mileage out of that.
      why are you going on air before you even know what you have? Do you get off the rig with your facepiece on?
      Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by nameless View Post
        so does your pump operator wear his face piece, do the guys doing outside work? they are near the IDLH and at the mercy of wind or direction changes.

        Whats so hard about wear your pack, and if needed put your mask on. Is decision making a lost art?


        Ok... proximity to the IDLH is important. Our guys do keep their masks handy.

        While the pump-man usually doesn't wear his pack, I have found it useful to have the hydrant-man wear his...

        Just because.
        HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

        Comment


        • #64
          the face piece on in the rig is common practice for some people....

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by nyckftbl
            ...venting takes many forms, only one of which is cutting a hole directly over a fire.
            Correct....


            why are you going on air before you even know what you have?
            Didn't say that. The use of air depends on their assignment and the type of call.


            Do you get off the rig with your facepiece on?
            No, but they do have it, depending on the type of call.


            Originally posted by nameless
            the face piece on in the rig is common practice for some people....
            They don't wear helmets or masks on the rigs. Masks goes on depending on assignment.


            We gonna play 'what if' some more?
            HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by PaladinKnight View Post
              Correct....




              Didn't say that. The use of air depends on their assignment and the type of call.




              No, but they do have it, depending on the type of call.




              They don't wear helmets or masks on the rigs. Masks goes on depending on assignment.


              We gonna play 'what if' some more?
              Im not playing what if, your scenario of guys going on air without knowing what they had made no sense, I was trying to figure it out.
              Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by PaladinKnight View Post
                They don't wear helmets or masks on the rigs. Masks goes on depending on assignment.
                who's they? I've seen firefighters that think putting their face pieces, hood, and helmet on en route is a good idea. Certain FD's everytime they show up for a fire type call all their guys show up in this manner. So I think saying some fire departments think it is a good idea also applies.

                It happens

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by nyckftbl View Post
                  Im not playing what if, your scenario of guys going on air without knowing what they had made no sense, I was trying to figure it out.
                  Got it...

                  He was 2nd due... didn't understand the call, and believed it was a fire.

                  He saw the Scene Engine and guys climbing a ladder from several blocks away, and assumed too much.

                  I merely mentioned it because of the situation. He had no idea and misinformed his crew. He was the only one on the truck radio and his earpiece was cutting out.

                  We hadn't left a guy outside and didn't have any hose pulled, but he didn't notice all of that... he went straight to the roof.

                  Sorry I even mentioned it now... too much to explain for a laugh.


                  nameless: I was referring to our guys. I wasn't trying to say no one does, I know some do. Our guys may put the pack on while in their seat, but the mask and helmet don't go on until the truck arrives on scene.
                  HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by PaladinKnight View Post
                    Got it...

                    He was 2nd due... didn't understand the call, and believed it was a fire.

                    He saw the Scene Engine and guys climbing a ladder from several blocks away, and assumed too much.

                    I merely mentioned it because of the situation. He had no idea and misinformed his crew. He was the only one on the truck radio and his earpiece was cutting out.

                    We hadn't left a guy outside and didn't have any hose pulled, but he didn't notice all of that... he went straight to the roof.

                    Sorry I even mentioned it now... too much to explain for a laugh.


                    nameless: I was referring to our guys. I wasn't trying to say no one does, I know some do. Our guys may put the pack on while in their seat, but the mask and helmet don't go on until the truck arrives on scene.
                    makes much more sense now.
                    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      I guess if you are going to tell a story, it helps to not leave out important details...

                      I couldn't see where we were going in the discussion... I was talking about ventilation and somehow we got to all ops.

                      It was completely my fault. Sorry for confusion...

                      I think I might be done trying to humor to this topic for the day...
                      HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
                        The flashlight comment was in response to the whole "if I mask up I might not see a skylight or the edge" argument.
                        Understand, it just reminded me of a humorous situation recently

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by PaladinKnight View Post
                          Ok... proximity to the IDLH is important. Our guys do keep their masks handy.

                          While the pump-man usually doesn't wear his pack, I have found it useful to have the hydrant-man wear his...

                          Just because.
                          The WATER THAT bad? T.C.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Plain and simple.

                            Cancer sucks.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by PaladinKnight View Post
                              I don't think there is much debate on this issue.

                              Although there are a few that simply missed that day at school.

                              A few others missed the memo.



                              What part of IDHL did you not understand?
                              No, there is not much "debate" - mostly because most here arrogantly assume that the way they do things is the only way to do things. You do realize that there are very large, very experienced departments that don't share your view, right? Take the blinders off and realize that what you are talking about is your opinion - not the gospel...
                              Just a typical moronic, childish, idiotic munchkin.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by Whocares View Post
                                No, there is not much "debate" - mostly because most here arrogantly assume that the way they do things is the only way to do things. You do realize that there are very large, very experienced departments that don't share your view, right? Take the blinders off and realize that what you are talking about is your opinion - not the gospel...
                                i work for a "very large department." we do not wear our packs on roofs, and we do not wear our packs to make a hydrant.

                                Comment

                                300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                                Collapse

                                Upper 300x250

                                Collapse

                                Taboola

                                Collapse

                                Leader

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X