Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

packs on the roof

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Let me upload a clip from our recent structure burn session from the vent crew and you tell me you dont need a pack.. cant believe this is even up for debate.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
      A flashlight?

      There's a thought. I was on an auto alarm with a neighboring department the other morning, and offered the guy that was checking out the alarm a flashlight - it was dark out, power had been pulled in the house. He advised me that he "was a firefighter and used to walking around in the smoke" and refused the light.

      Others on his department and I sat upstairs waiting for his report... He is my hero! LOL
      The flashlight comment was in response to the whole "if I mask up I might not see a skylight or the edge" argument.
      Career Firefighter
      Volunteer Captain

      -Professional in Either Role-

      Originally posted by Rescue101
      I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

      Comment


      • #48
        I don't think there is much debate on this issue.

        Although there are a few that simply missed that day at school.

        A few others missed the memo.



        What part of IDHL did you not understand?
        HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by PaladinKnight View Post


          What part of IDHL did you not understand?
          Is that the good or bad cholesterol?
          Career Firefighter
          Volunteer Captain

          -Professional in Either Role-

          Originally posted by Rescue101
          I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
            Is that the good or bad cholesterol?
            Ahhhh.


            Yes.
            HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by roykirk1989 View Post
              Yikes, I didn't even know this was a debatable subject anymore, but I guess that's why I could never work on the East Coast. Every department I've ever been a part of (most admittedly West Coast), being caught on the roof without being masked up was the same as being caught going in to a structure fire without a pack on. First time, written reprimand and possible shift off without pay. If you were silly enough to try it a second time, you'd likely be looking for a new job.
              Wasn't one of the videos in this thread Los Angeles and the other Phoenix?

              Kind of screws up the infantile east coast/west coast nonsense.
              I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

              "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

              "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
                Wasn't one of the videos in this thread Los Angeles and the other Phoenix?

                Kind of screws up the infantile east coast/west coast nonsense.
                Without a doubt, any department can make mistakes regardless of what coast they're on. I was just being a little tongue-in-cheek as it reminded me about an experience I had at the NFA. Four officers (all from different east coast departments) in our tactics class started giving our instructor crap saying, "Real fire departments don't go defensive, that's for wimps." It seemed like they were all joking until I talked to a couple of them later in the command post and they waxed on about how disgusted they were that nobody wanted to be aggressive anymore. Clearly not all east coast departments are like this, but it's a worrisome attitude for the fire service in general, just like the few people who think packs and/or masks should be optional on the roof.
                Last edited by roykirk1989; 10-10-2010, 04:40 PM.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
                  Well let's see...why are on you the roof to begin with? To cut a hole for smoke, heat and fire to come through. All of which I do not like the idea of breathing. This doesn't even consider the possibility of falling through.

                  Pack up, mask up, take a flashlight if you have to.
                  There are more than 1 story buildings in the world. We arent always on the roof to cut.


                  Like I said....always and never are very stupid words.
                  Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by PaladinKnight View Post
                    I don't think there is much debate on this issue.

                    Although there are a few that simply missed that day at school.

                    A few others missed the memo.



                    What part of IDHL did you not understand?
                    Since when was every roof an IDLH?
                    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by nyckftbl View Post
                      Since when was every roof an IDLH?
                      Oh,NOW there you go putting the LOGIC concept in play.hehe T.C.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by nyckftbl View Post
                        Since when was every roof an IDLH?
                        Never said they were all IDLH.

                        I thought we were talking about ventilation. If there is a potential IDLH, then wear the pack.
                        HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by PaladinKnight View Post
                          Never said they were all IDLH.

                          I thought we were talking about ventilation. If there is a potential IDLH, then wear the pack.
                          Ventilation is one thing....and even then....only when cutting. But that wasnt the question/topic, it was wearing a pack on the roof. The word always was thrown around more than once....and I just found it amusing that people could only see scenarios with either 1 story buildings or buildings with fire just below us that required "ventilation".
                          Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by nyckftbl View Post
                            Ventilation is one thing....and even then....only when cutting. But that wasnt the question/topic, it was wearing a pack on the roof. The word always was thrown around more than once....and I just found it amusing that people could only see scenarios with either 1 story buildings or buildings with fire just below us that required "ventilation".
                            Our guys wear packs for flue fires and ventilation, not much else. They are likely to be reassigned anyway and should have all of their equipment on.


                            A few years back, I had an Officer that didn't know what the call was when his crew arrived... He had the crew put on full PPE w/air on for a guy stuck in a chimney. I got a lot of mileage out of that.
                            HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by nyckftbl View Post
                              There are more than 1 story buildings in the world. We arent always on the roof to cut.


                              Like I said....always and never are very stupid words.
                              And while I agree, I think it is safe to say that most people figured we were talking about going to the roof to vent.

                              Althought thats not always the case.

                              Dangit, there I go again...
                              Career Firefighter
                              Volunteer Captain

                              -Professional in Either Role-

                              Originally posted by Rescue101
                              I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by PaladinKnight View Post
                                Never said they were all IDLH.

                                I thought we were talking about ventilation. If there is a potential IDLH, then wear the pack.
                                so does your pump operator wear his face piece, do the guys doing outside work? they are near the IDLH and at the mercy of wind or direction changes.

                                Whats so hard about wear your pack, and if needed put your mask on. Is decision making a lost art?

                                Comment

                                300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                                Collapse

                                Upper 300x250

                                Collapse

                                Taboola

                                Collapse

                                Leader

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X