2 1/2" nozzle suggustions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 1/2" nozzle suggustions

Any suggustions for 2.5 inch nozzles for an industrial complex? Right now we are running straight off the hydrant with a hydrant pressure of about 95 psi. This will change soon with the addition a primary and secondary fire pump which should charge the loop to around 140 psi. We have experience with TFTs and Akron and use Akron with our 1 3/4 attack lines. Looking for a recommendation for a 2 1/2 fog nozzle with a playpipe. Also any recommendations for a smoothbore would be appreciated as well but primarily interested in fogs.

Originally posted by emtiv1998 View Post
    Any suggustions for 2.5 inch nozzles for an industrial complex? Right now we are running straight off the hydrant with a hydrant pressure of about 95 psi. This will change soon with the addition a primary and secondary fire pump which should charge the loop to around 140 psi. We have experience with TFTs and Akron and use Akron with our 1 3/4 attack lines. Looking for a recommendation for a 2 1/2 fog nozzle with a playpipe. Also any recommendations for a smoothbore would be appreciated as well but primarily interested in fogs.
    We have had good luck with Elkhart products. Having said that, a nozzle is a nozzle is a nozzle. Especially when talking about smoothbores.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Comment

We had suggustions on our 2 1/2 nozzles, but we've taken them off. I don't think suggustions really do anything.
      Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Comment

I am an Elkhart single gallonage low pressure combination nozzle fan. The choices for a 2 1/2 inch line include a 250 gpm at 50 psi, 250 gpm at 75 psi, 300 gpm at 75 psi single gallonage nozzles. Or if you prefer an automatic nozzle Elkhart offers a 75 psi version that flows from 75-300 gpm.

For smoothbores I would suggest a 1 1/4 inch tip for a flow of 326 gpm at 50 psi. If you want a heavy hit, long reaching nozzle, this is the obvious choice.
        Crazy, but that's how it goes
        Millions of people living as foes
        Maybe it's not too late
        To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

I agree with Fyred. Being as you currently rely on hydrant pressure, a low pressure fixed gallonage fog would be the way to go. This will also make hose handling easier if and when you boost your available pressure. And as mentioned in another thread, Elkhart is all metal. They get my vote.
          Career Firefighter
          Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
          I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

I have been using the Elkhart Chief low pressure nozzles on my career job for 12 years, and on my volly FD for over a decade, with NO problems and no repairs needed.

Although I guess I could say the same for the old style Akron TurboJets. My volly FD used them for many years
            Maybe it's not too late

Comment

emtiv1998...

Basically, a nozzle is a nozzle is a nozzle, especially with smoothbores.

Get something that you can afford, that is comfortable to work with and that will do the job easily for you. Task Force Tips (TFT) is probably going to be the top of the line, pay for the name type of thing. They might be the most popular simply because they advertise more.

Chief, Elkhart, TFT, Flowmax, etc. are all about the same, just a different customer service package. I personally like a pistol grip. Just make sure they are built heavy duty with a good shut off. There is nothing that causes more damage than a leaky nozzle that won't shut off!!
              Jason Knecht
              Firefighter/EMT
              Township Fire Dept., Inc.
              Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
              http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
              EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dickey View Post
                emtiv1998...

Basically, a nozzle is a nozzle is a nozzle, especially with smoothbores.

I couldn't possibly disagree more with this statement. Well, other than the smoothbore comment.

The difference between an automatic nozzle and a single gallonage nozzle and an adjustable gallonage nozzle are substantial. The way they operate, especially the automatic, has led to massive misunderstandings and improper flows for decades. I am sorry but it simply is not as simple as you are making out.

Get something that you can afford, that is comfortable to work with and that will do the job easily for you. Task Force Tips (TFT) is probably going to be the top of the line, pay for the name type of thing. They might be the most popular simply because they advertise more.

They WERE the most popular because of a marketing Blitz when they first hit the market filled with exagerations, hocus pocus, and in some cases outright lies, by some sales people as to what the nozzles could do. I remember the first time a sales guy tried to sell my volly FD a TFT nozzle. We used 1 1/2 inch hose and he told us just put this nozzle on there and you will be flowing 300 gpm in no time. Yeah right!

Do they work? Absolutely. Within the confines of their design. They are not magic, they do not produce water, and they are perhaps the most misunderstood nozzle ever used by the fire service.

Chief, Elkhart, TFT, Flowmax, etc. are all about the same, just a different customer service package. I personally like a pistol grip. Just make sure they are built heavy duty with a good shut off. There is nothing that causes more damage than a leaky nozzle that won't shut off!!

Again, I disagree. The only way to know what is right for any particular situation is to determine what you want the nozzle to do and buy the nozzle that does what you want. Durability is an issue. Size and weight are an issue. And YES, cost is an issue.
                I waver back and forth between liking the pistol grip and then finding myself not using them even if they are on the nozzle. I guess it is all personal preference.
                Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Yes, you are 100% correct....I guess I should have been more clear of what I was thinking.

...I didn't mean that they were all the same in a general way, I meant that in a "find what works for you with the features you want" type of way.

Certainly there are options for gallonage, patterns, pistol grips, bail designs, etc. I was trying to say get what you want with the options that you want for your purpose. Once you figure that out, they are pretty much the same.

Sorry for the confusion....I'll be over here if you need me.
                  Jason Knecht
                  Firefighter/EMT
                  Eau Claire, WI

EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

Yes, you are 100% correct....I guess I should have been more clear of what I was thinking.

...I didn't mean that they were all the same in a general way, I meant that in a "find what works for you with the features you want" type of way.

Certainly there are options for gallonage, patterns, pistol grips, bail designs, etc. I was trying to say get what you want with the options that you want for your purpose. Once you figure that out, they are pretty much the same.

Sorry for the confusion....I'll be over here if you need me.

Aw Jason,

You don't have to go over there. Come on back. You should know by now that I am a pretty forcefully opinionated guy. I meant no disrespect or harm. Honestly, guys that respect each other can disagree and still be Brothers.

Now toughen up ya damn sissy and get back in the battle!!
                    Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Well.............

Well Folks, What's New on the Nozzle Situation????.........

Nothing, Just Fyred and Dickey fighting again..........

Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                      In memory of
                      Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                      Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Originally posted by hwoods View Post
                        Well Folks, What's New on the Nozzle Situation????.........

Nothing, Just Fyred and Dickey fighting again..........

Heck Harve,

That wasn't fighting. It was just a forceful exchange of ideas between Brothers. It will be fine once he realizes I AM RIGHT!
                        Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                          Heck Harve,

That wasn't fighting. It was just a forceful exchange of ideas between Brothers. It will be fine once he realizes I AM RIGHT!
                          (straightening my skirt )

Actually Harve, as much as it pains me to admit it...(just kidding)he is right. I made too general of a statement that left a lot of room for interpretation. I should have been more specific, getting the options you want for example. Once you have that figured out, then they all are pretty close to the same. That was my point.

I totally agree with him. At least this time!!
                          Jason Knecht
                          Firefighter/EMT
                          Eau Claire, WI

EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

(straightening my skirt )

Actually Harve, as much as it pains me to admit it...(just kidding)he is right. I made too general of a statement that left a lot of room for interpretation. I should have been more specific, getting the options you want for example. Once you have that figured out, then they all are pretty close to the same. That was my point.

I totally agree with him. At least this time!!
                            See that wasn't so hard now was it?
                            Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                              Aw Jason,

You don't have to go over there. Come on back. You should know by now that I am a pretty forcefully opinionated guy. I meant no disrespect or harm. Honestly, guys that respect each other can disagree and still be Brothers.

Now toughen up ya damn sissy and get back in the battle!!
                              Just get a VINDICATOR or two and get over it! Hehe T.C.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X