Tractor trailer hits well placed engine protecting the scene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And Another One..................

Grasonville, Md's Engine 26 - This is another example of proper Blocking being responsible for saving a Crew. Guys on this rig had just arrived at a Crash on U.S.Rt. 50 a few Miles East of The Chesapeake Bay Bridge when their Engine was struck by a Tractor Trailer..........

Editorial Note - If there had been a Pump Operator at the panel.................

Thanks to the GVFD for the use of the photo......
    Attached Files
    Last edited by hwoods; 10-05-2010, 12:37 AM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Thankfully there weren't any serious injuries, and the scene was protected.

All of our "blockers" are engines, and point to where the pump panel is on the other side of incoming traffic. Cheaper to replace an engine if it gets hit.

Our no texting law went into effect July 1st. Only punishable as a secondary offense (like not wearing seat belts). And I'll be damned if I still don't see teens and others still texting while driving.

It doesn't matter what you do to your rig to make it noticeable/seen. There is always one A-Hole that isn't paying attention, and will hit it.

FM1
      I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
      "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

Originally posted by hwoods View Post
        Grasonville, Md's Engine 26 - This is another example of proper Blocking being responsible for saving a Crew. Guys on this rig had just arrived at a Crash on U.S.Rt. 50 a few Miles East of The Chesapeake Bay Bridge when their Engine was struck by a Tractor Trailer..........

Editorial Note - If there had been a Pump Operator at the panel.................

Crash-proof gold leaf... nice!
        I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Yep!.........

Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
          Crash-proof gold leaf... nice!

We ARE talking about Maryland, right.........
          Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
          In memory of
          Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
          Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
            While I have no problem if you want the back of your rig to look like a Candy cane,you DO note that it didn't amount to Schit here,Right? T.C.
            It's just like FPW - we don't know how many fires we actually prevent because a fire that doesn't occur doesn't generate a statistic.

Same here. Sometimes you can't do much about events such as this, but if just one driver avoids a collision with our apparatus because the stripes got their attention, then it has more than paid for itself.
            Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

While I have no problem if you want the back of your rig to look like a Candy cane,you DO note that it didn't amount to Schit here,Right? T.C.
              The chevrons are pointing in the wrong direction! They point down to make peoples vehicles slow down. Its the power of the chevron!
              Shawn M. Cecula
              Firefighter
              IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Comment

Originally posted by hwoods View Post

Harve, you remember the older American LaFances?? I am sure that you do Pal.

Where was the Pump Panel on those?

Maybe we could campaign the nfpa and makers to return to yesteryear.

Sure was a great place much better that when E-One came out with the Hush style Pumper!!

You know where that panel was!
                Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

I wonder if we'll have trucks made just for this purpose? A Fire Department "bump truck".
                  Or maybe a chiefs car. Sorry, had to do that.

We send an engine and truck to all vehicle fires. The truck will pop the hood, disconnect the battery,etc. But the main job is to set up a 60,000lb road block to protect the engine crew. If they're not needed they're returned. No big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by len1582 View Post
                    Or maybe a chiefs car. Sorry, had to do that.

We send an engine and truck to all vehicle fires. The truck will pop the hood, disconnect the battery,etc. But the main job is to set up a 60,000lb road block to protect the engine crew. If they're not needed they're returned. No big deal.
                    The SP get a little antsy if we show up with anything besides our Squad and some ambulances.

Let's put one of those big yellow DOT "bumpers" on the Chief's buggies!
                    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

We have the same policy as Len1582. Add to that we also run ALS medics, even they will get a blocker. I am fairly certain everyone of our trucks have been hit at one time or another blocking.
                      Fortunately for us, our state patrol is great to work with and they appreciate a blocker too!
                      My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
                      "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
                      George Mason
                      Co-author of the Second Amendment
                      during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
                      Elevator Rescue Information

Comment

The SP get a little antsy if we show up with anything besides our Squad and some ambulances.

Let's put one of those big yellow DOT "bumpers" on the Chief's buggies!
                        Yeah, see how well that Suburban holds up to a 20 ton tractor trailer. That bumper will just act like a chew toy.
                        Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

ACTUALLY, IF the Surburban could "float" the Bumper box,being hit by a TT just makes the Surburban a SOFTENED projectile. NOT what you want on the END of your stack. T.c.

Comment

Originally posted by tree68 View Post
                            It's just like FPW - we don't know how many fires we actually prevent because a fire that doesn't occur doesn't generate a statistic.

Same here. Sometimes you can't do much about events such as this, but if just one driver avoids a collision with our apparatus because the stripes got their attention, then it has more than paid for itself.
                            Try MY Blocker. D8 on a 50 ton Lowbed. You hit that, you're done,no leaving the scene; whatever you were driving will be RIGHT THERE when you wake UP. Along with your SUMMONS. T.C.

Comment

Try MY Blocker. D8 on a 50 ton Lowbed. You hit that, you're done,no leaving the scene; whatever you were driving will be RIGHT THERE when you wake UP. Along with your SUMMONS. T.C.
                              We'll have to put one in the budget next year.....
                              Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by tree68 View Post
                                We'll have to put one in the budget next year.....
                                Tool of many uses. Shortens burning bldgs( up to 2-3 story, Flattens land, Digs water holes,plows snow(if thats an issue)Frees stuck fire apparatus.Makes short work of security fences AND in todays market can be had......CHEAP,hehe T.C.
                                Last edited by Rescue101; 10-05-2010, 10:21 PM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X