Tractor trailer hits well placed engine protecting the scene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tractor trailer hits well placed engine protecting the scene

This is an example why proper and smart positioning of heavy apparatus at roadway scenes is so important. At 2:30am this morning, this engine was blocking lanes of I-95 SB in Stamford, CT. An inattentive tractor trailer plowed into it at full highway speed (65+ in that area). If not for the blocking placement of this apparatus, the truck would have mowed down the entire scene and all the people in it.

The only injuries were to the driver of the tractor trailer and a state trooper who was hit by flying debris.
    Attached Files
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Glad to hear everyone is okay.

If that doesn't convince someone that it is the right thing to do, then I don't know what will.

I wonder if we'll have trucks made just for this purpose? A Fire Department "bump truck".
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

It is sometimes easily dismissed or never taken seriously to begin with, but working at roadway incidents, especially out on Interstates, is one of the most dangerous duties we perform on a daily basis.

Thanks for the re-enforcement.

Do you mind if I post this photo and info on our Union Website?
      RK
      cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Comment

Lots of options out there.
        Attached Files
        “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
        ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by EastKyFF View Post
          Lots of options out there.
          God, I wish we could nail that to the tailboard.
          I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
            Yeah, but you're in the nice part of New Jersey, where folks are just too polite for such. Theoretically.
            “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
            ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

There are valid reasons why we don't let the cops tell us where to position our trucks.

This is only one of them.
              HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

Yeah, but you're in the nice part of New Jersey, where folks are just too polite for such. Theoretically.
                That's the nice part of the state, the people there are still nasty.

Comment

Originally posted by MemphisE34a View Post
                  Do you mind if I post this photo and info on our Union Website?
                  I don't see why not. I got the picture third hand to begin with.

Wait, there is a nice part???

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
                    Ain't that the truth!!!

Yes, glad to hear everyone is alright. Even a "minor" injury is too much.
                    Jason Knecht
                    Firefighter/EMT
                    Township Fire Dept., Inc.
                    Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
                    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
                    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

And some people don't understand why I took the time to put conspicuity stripes on the back of our primary highway response vehicles...

I'm just glad we don't have any four-lanes to deal with in our district.
                      Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

While I have no problem if you want the back of your rig to look like a Candy cane,you DO note that it didn't amount to Schit here,Right? T.C.

Comment

Originally posted by tree68 View Post
                          And some people don't understand why I took the time to put conspicuity stripes on the back of our primary highway response vehicles...
                          All the stripes, lights, arrowsticks, and cones won't do a dam thing for the "inatentive" driver or the rubberneckers. They will still pile into your rig no matter what. That's why you position your vehicles to protect the work area.

Not sure about your neck of the woods but in mine stripes have yet to stop a vehicle.
                          Jason Knecht
                          Firefighter/EMT
                          Township Fire Dept., Inc.
                          Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
                          http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
                          EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

We can never quantify the crashes that don't happen, because the didn't happen. If it get one texting idiot's attention, I'm cool with it. If the driver is asleep, you can't do anything but barricade.

Comment

And.................

Maryland's "No Phones, No Texting, No Anything except Pay Attention to your Driving, You Idiot" Law went into effect on October 1st. Too early to tell what impact it will have.................
                              Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                              In memory of
                              Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                              Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X