This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hybrid Cars

I was reading the article about hybrid cars earlier and it brought up some good points. I was wondering if anyone had any other information on this they could share with me. Any hazards not mentioned in this acticle that you may have found would also be very helpful.

Thanks alot.

Antny

Be prepared to have a lot of people laughing at you.

Althea

Comment

What's funny about a person looking for information that could save his or someone else's life someday?

Comment

I think Althea may have the wrong idea... Fireantny is probably looking for any info on special hazards of the vehicle for firefighteing or extrication purposes... and if he finds any, I'd love to see it also... I'll definitely follow this post.

Comment

Look up lithium hydride in your ERG and tell me which guide to go to.

Never mind, lithium hydride isn't in the ERG.

Acids, flammable metals, high voltage capacitors. If I roll up on one of these "green machines," I'm gonna let 'er burn. I'm goin' home at 0700 and no freakin' ozone-mobile is worth me riskin' my life over. As small as they are and as much plastic as goes into manufacturing them it shouldn't take too long to reduce one to a melted puddle o' goo anyway.

Comment

I think the real need to know about these vehicles comes with MVA's and extrications. KNowing what to cut and what not to cut, where the important things are... It's kind of like the Durango, don't wanna cut into that A-post too low or you'll get a face full of Freon . I've been hearing, that on the newer hybrind cars, if you go to cut the cables on the battery, if you cut the red one you're toast!

Comment

Does anyone have any idea where the cables are located? I have been hearing alot of different things about battery location and things of that sort as well.

Comment

For information on the hybrid vehicles go to your local Toyota Dealer or call 800-GO-TOYOTA. I would start with your local dealer to establish a relationship with them (my local one was less than cooperative however so we called the 800# and had no problems).

They produce a book that is a guide for emergency responders. It outlines the hazards in their vehicle and shows you where everything is. I believe Honda makes a similar one although I have not yet seen it. They will give or send you one free of charge.

It's a MUST READ for dealing with these vehicles.

------------------
                Susan Bednar
                Forsyth Rescue Squad (Captain)
                NCTF-1
                Griffith Volunteer FD

Comment

What really scares the SH*T out of me is the fact that if one breaks down here in the maritimes, the local Toyota shop can't fix it. They need to send it directly to Montreal to have it repaired. Imagine trying to do extracation on something that you have no idea how it's built. I agree with NCRSQ751 in regards to consalting with your local retailer. They might be able to give you a tour of how-to on cars and extracation (air bags....).

------------------
                  Joel

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

**And of course these are only my opinion and only mine. Don't take it out on anyone else but me.**

Comment

pyroknight,

Just a new wrinkle in the extrication game, but something to think about.

When these new hybrids burn, the battery that is used on the "electric cars" which ARE in production as we speak, puts of a by-product of Potassium Hydroxide. i know for a fact that this IS in the ERG. IT some BAD stuff. The flip side. The average pumper does not carry enough water for the "traditional" attack. It is a copious amount of water that is needed. The suggestion I read was "hook to a hydrant". If you are like my department, we have mostly county response which HAS NO hydrants.

Anty,
                    The battery that is in these new hybrids produces up to 300 volts. Cutting the cables in these new electric cars is NOT an option. Disconnecting these is one of two options (if it can be done SAFELY) the other is trying to find the "shut off" on these vehicles. The down side to this? Theye are NOT clearly marked. We are going to see in the future that we are going to be requesting the local HAZMAT team(s) response when we roll up on a hybrid fire. The car manufacturers are making it more difficult and dangerous for us, they are VERY secretive about information regarding these and all the new "safety" features coming out on newer vehicles.

I have just put together a new manual for our department, that was outdated when I made it due to the fact that the information is changing more often than we get updates.

I hope that I answered some of the question. Look at the UNiversity of Extrication, Ron Moore addresses some of these issues.

Hope that helps.

------------------
                    Your Brother In The Service,
                    Rob Herpel
                    FF/EMT
                    Vice-Pres./Asst. EMS Coordinator
                    Fremont Rural Fire Department

Comment

Originally posted by lumpy649:
                      I think Althea may have the wrong idea... Fireantny is probably looking for any info on special hazards of the vehicle for firefighteing or extrication purposes... and if he finds any, I'd love to see it also... I'll definitely follow this post.
                      I'm laughing because all the hybrid cars I've seen are really funny looking. Like bloated slugs covered in spray paint. Do there.

Althea

Comment

I just called the 800 number and ordered my book. I will have it in 5 to 7 business days.

------------------
                        Norwood Fire Co. No. 1
                        http://www.nfco1.freeservers.com

Comment

Call your local dealer and have them come out and explain the car to you. We had them come to training with the car. Very helpful and you get all the correct answers not hear say.

Comment

Altheah... no offense meant.

Comment

Ignition_Point,

I have done hours and hours of research on the new extrication wrinkles.

Yet, I NEVER heard about the Durango.

Regarding the Hybrid cars, the information that I have gleened is that the vehicles have the usual 12 volt batteries, and then they will have a 1,000 lb battery that runs along the underbelly of the car. THIS is the one that is a mess. I posted some of the information that I have in my previous post on this subject.

Where did you get the information on the Durango? I would GREATLY appreciate the information, because just as every other city in the states, we have Durangos running ALL over our district.

What are they trying to do to us? (Manufacturers) I mean, they develope all these new and improved ways for us to get hurt. Their airbags function properly, what HALF of the time?

Man oh Man.

------------------
                              Your Brother In The Service,
                              Rob Herpel
                              FF/EMT
                              Vice-Pres./Asst. EMS Coordinator
                              Fremont Rural Fire Department

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse