Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think you know what a Maltese Cross looks like? Think again...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Think you know what a Maltese Cross looks like? Think again...



    Every firefighter knows what this cross (both variations) is called, right?

    If you said, "Of course, that's the Maltese Cross!" sorry, that is incorrect.

    This is a Maltese Cross:


    The cross that many firefighters mistakenly refer to as "Maltese" is actually the cross of St. Florian. St. Florian is the patron saint of firefighters. More about him, and why he is that, can be found here: http://www.saintflorian.net/legend/legend.html
    -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

    The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

  • #2
    It started out like the Maltese, but then promoted to chauffer.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by JJR512 View Post


      Every firefighter knows what this cross (both variations) is called, right?

      If you said, "Of course, that's the Maltese Cross!" sorry, that is incorrect.

      This is a Maltese Cross:


      The cross that many firefighters mistakenly refer to as "Maltese" is actually the cross of St. Florian. St. Florian is the patron saint of firefighters. More about him, and why he is that, can be found here: http://www.saintflorian.net/legend/legend.html
      And..........

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by JJR512 View Post
        If you said, "Of course, that's the Maltese Cross!" sorry, that is incorrect.
        Yes and no. The Cross of St. Florian is a form of Maltese Cross. In terms of heraldry, it's still just a stylized Maltese.

        http://st-florian-medal.com/st-flori...rian-cross.htm
        "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
        sigpic
        The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by JJR512 View Post


          Every firefighter knows what this cross (both variations) is called, right?

          If you said, "Of course, that's the Maltese Cross!" sorry, that is incorrect.

          This is a Maltese Cross:


          The cross that many firefighters mistakenly refer to as "Maltese" is actually the cross of St. Florian. St. Florian is the patron saint of firefighters. More about him, and why he is that, can be found here: http://www.saintflorian.net/legend/legend.html

          My sister has a Maltese and it don't look like dat. T.C.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
            My sister has a Maltese and it don't look like dat. T.C.
            You're thinking of a "cross Maltese"...

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSa9O...ayer_embedded#!
            "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
            sigpic
            The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

            Comment


            • #7
              HISTORY AND HERITAGE / ORIGIN OF THE MALTESE CROSS



              When a courageous band of crusaders known as the Knights of St. John, fought the Saracens for possession of the holy land, they encountered a new weapon unknown to European warriors. It was a simple, but a horrible device of war, it wrought excruciating pain and agonizing death upon the brave fighters for the cross. The Saracen's weapon was, fire.

              As the crusaders advanced on the walls of the city, they were struck by glass bombs containing naphtha. When they became saturated with the highly flammable liquid, the Saracens hurled a flaming torch into their midst. Hundreds of the knights were burned alive; others risked their lives to save their brothers-in-arms from dying painful, fiery deaths.

              Thus, these men became our first firefighter and the first of a long list of courageous firefighters. Their heroic efforts were recognized by fellow crusaders who awarded each here a badge of honor - a cross similar to the one firefighter's wear today. Since the Knights of St. John lived for close to four centuries on a little island in the Mediterranean Sea named Malta, the cross came to be known as the Maltese Cross.

              The Maltese Cross is your symbol of protection. It means that the firefighter who wears this cross is willing to lay down his life for you just as the crusaders sacrificed their lives for their fellow man so many years ago. The Maltese Cross is a firefighter's badge of honor, signifying that he works in courage - a ladder rung away from death.


              Firefighter Maltese Cross

              The Maltese Cross is used throughout the Fire Service in the United States as a symbol of Honor, Courage, and Dedication.

              But, where did it come from and how did it transform into the symbol of the Firefigher?

              According to many websites, we need to go back to 1113 AD.
              This is when a special group of Knights were founded in Jerusalem by a Benedictine monk. These eleventh century knights who were serving in a Jerusalem hospital, became known as the Order of Knights Hospitaller and later became the Knights of St. John.

              This charitable organization shared the compassion as do today's Firefighters by caring for the ill with great compasion. Later they assisted the Knights of Crusaders in thier effort to win back the Holy Land. As the Knights of St. John and Knights of Crusaders defended the city walls, their fierce opponents who were called, the Saracens, staged an aggressive attack and hurled fire bombs containing highly flammable liquids. As the Knights banded together they were forced to fight the flames of their attackers. It was during this intense fire fight that the courage of our Firefighting ancestors was demonstrated. The Knights banded together, risked life and limb for their Brothers and fought the flames, and saved many fellow Knighs. The Knights were later recognized for their bravery during the epic battle located on the Island of Malta.

              As a result of their valiant efforts, the Island of Malta was given to the courageous knights. The symbol on thier flag, the eight-point cross, became known as the Maltese Cross. The eight points on the cross have various meanings. However, the most widely accepted principles reflect The Eight Beatitudes as written in Mathew 5:3-10 (King James Version) entitled the "Sermon on the Mount".
              Stay Safe and Well Out There....

              Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by johnny46 View Post
                It started out like the Maltese, but then promoted to chauffer.
                Ouch! lol

                -Damien

                Comment


                • #9
                  don't care, if I say maltese cross people are going to recognize the one from fire trucks. Besides they are both 8 pointed crosses anyways, the fire service one is just more stylized.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
                    Yes and no. The Cross of St. Florian is a form of Maltese Cross. In terms of heraldry, it's still just a stylized Maltese.

                    http://st-florian-medal.com/st-flori...rian-cross.htm
                    A Maltese Cross is a specific type of cross. A Cross of St. Florian is a specific type of cross. The two are not the same. Neither is a generic term that includes the other.
                    -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

                    The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by JJR512 View Post
                      A Maltese Cross is a specific type of cross. A Cross of St. Florian is a specific type of cross. The two are not the same. Neither is a generic term that includes the other.
                      Citation?

                      I've posted one on-line reference already. Here's another:

                      http://www.seiyaku.com/customs/crosses/maltese.html
                      http://www.seiyaku.com/customs/crosses/florian.html

                      I'd also suggest you consult A.C. Fox-Davies' works on heraldic ordinaries specifically with regard to the crosses Maltese and Patee. The traditional firefigher's emblem arguably owes some of its ancestry to both.

                      "Remember, Heralds never pun; they cant."
                      "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
                      sigpic
                      The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
                        Citation?

                        I've posted one on-line reference already. Here's another:

                        http://www.seiyaku.com/customs/crosses/maltese.html
                        http://www.seiyaku.com/customs/crosses/florian.html

                        I'd also suggest you consult A.C. Fox-Davies' works on heraldic ordinaries specifically with regard to the crosses Maltese and Patee. The traditional firefigher's emblem arguably owes some of its ancestry to both.

                        "Remember, Heralds never pun; they cant."
                        For my citation, I hereby present the following two websites:

                        http://www.seiyaku.com/customs/crosses/maltese.html
                        http://www.seiyaku.com/customs/crosses/florian.html

                        The first describes the Maltese Cross. None of the descriptions are of the specific cross that the second website describes as a St. Florian's Cross.

                        The second website describes St. Florian's Cross. None of the descriptions are of the specific cross that the first website describes as a Maltese Cross.
                        -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

                        The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JJR512 View Post


                          Every firefighter knows what this cross (both variations) is called, right?

                          If you said, "Of course, that's the Maltese Cross!" sorry, that is incorrect.

                          This is a Maltese Cross:


                          The cross that many firefighters mistakenly refer to as "Maltese" is actually the cross of St. Florian. St. Florian is the patron saint of firefighters. More about him, and why he is that, can be found here: http://www.saintflorian.net/legend/legend.html


                          You have too much time on your hands.


                          There are variations of the symbol.

                          Live with it!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by JJR512 View Post
                            For my citation, I hereby present the following two websites:

                            http://www.seiyaku.com/customs/crosses/maltese.html
                            http://www.seiyaku.com/customs/crosses/florian.html

                            The first describes the Maltese Cross. None of the descriptions are of the specific cross that the second website describes as a St. Florian's Cross.

                            The second website describes St. Florian's Cross. None of the descriptions are of the specific cross that the first website describes as a Maltese Cross.

                            It's helpful if you actually read the article you're citing before you try and use it.

                            From the Maltese Cross page:

                            Military Cross of Valour

                            Military Cross of Valour
                            One interpretation of the 'sharp' pointed cross is of four fishtails. The fish symbol was adopted by the early Christian church and the design has long been used as a Hospitaller Cross and Crusader Cross. From this we have the basis of numerous military crosses, including:

                            St. John's Cross
                            St. Florian's Cross
                            •various Campaign Crosses
                            •(Belgian) Croix de Guerre
                            •(British) Elizabeth Cross, Military Cross, Victoria Cross
                            •(Dutch) Oorlogskruis
                            •(French) Croix de Guerre
                            •(German) Honour Cross, Knight's Cross, Iron Cross
                            •(Polish) Military Cross of Valour
                            •(Ukraine) Cossack Cross
                            •(U.S.) Distinguished Flying Cross, Navy Cross, Army Distinguished Service Cross
                            From the St Florian's Cross page:

                            The St. Florian's Cross is based on the St. John's Cross.
                            If you follow the St John's Cross link:

                            St. John's Cross
                            known also as the Maltese Cross, Pattée Cross and several other names
                            Nice try.
                            "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
                            sigpic
                            The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
                              It's helpful if you actually read the article you're citing before you try and use it.

                              From the Maltese Cross page:



                              From the St Florian's Cross page:



                              If you follow the St John's Cross link:



                              Nice try.
                              I did actually read it. And I stand by what I said. When something is "based on" something else, it is not the same thing as what it's based on.
                              -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

                              The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X