Clear All
    hwoods
    63 Years & Still Rolling

• hwoods
    replied
    That Too.............

Originally posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    I'm thinking about selling tickets now.

Hey...... You just came up with a new Revenue Stream....... Take an old Tractor Drawn Aerial, add a lot of Seats on the Trailer, Dispatch it to all working Fires, AND SELL TICKETS TO THE BEST SEAT IN THE BLOCK.....

Leave a comment:

• PaladinKnight
    Forum Member

• PaladinKnight
    replied
    Originally posted by EGregory View Post
    What is that supposed to be a test to see if I'll react the same way again?

Wow, I think I just witnessed your skin growing about an inch thicker.

Bravo.

I'm thinking about selling tickets now.

Leave a comment:

• EGregory
    Forum Member

• EGregory
    replied
    Originally posted by johnny46 View Post
    Somehow I think that's a common experience for you.
    What is that supposed to be a test to see if I'll react the same way again?

Leave a comment:

• johnny46
    Forum Member

• johnny46
    replied
    Thank you again for the information you posted, the smartass comment at the end just baffles me.
    Somehow I think that's a common experience for you.

Leave a comment:

• PaladinKnight
    Forum Member

• PaladinKnight
    replied
    HA you got that right. It also doesn't help that our current city government consists of a real estate developer for a mayor and several real estate agents on the city council. The result is that it's a very developer friendly form of government and many times profitability outweighs common sense in my opinion.

Hopefully we'll see some of that change in the upcoming election.
    They should understand the value of a buck. If they really want to do something, have them put a hydrant every 500 feet, build a stations about 4 miles apart, buy enough fire equipment to allow the fire department to lower the Class to a 3 and hire about 200 firefighters. Then they will really have something.

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    Forum Member

• Rescue101
    replied
    Originally posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Don't spend a lot of time in the firehouse huh?

I am a fireman. I excel at certain things.....being a smartass is one of them.

And just for the record, you said there was "A" fire station within 5 miles and 3 within a 10 minutes drive. IMO, 10 minutes of driving time does indeed classify as "not having a fire station within the immediate area." Ten minutes of driving is most likely a 12-15 minute response time by the time you factor in dispatching and turnout time.

For a paid, city department operating 10 stations, a 12-15 response from the time someone calls is too long.
    Probably why we get along so well,hehe T.C.

Leave a comment:

• EGregory
    Forum Member

• EGregory
    replied
    Originally posted by FiremanLyman View Post
    People get the fire protection they pay for. If the citizens were (probably are now) concerned, they would have figured out that they built their pretty and new subdivision without the FD being able to meet an NFPA 1710 manning within 8 minutes, as the standard states. But instead, they were probably more concerned about the quality of parks, and how close the grocery store is. Soccer moms rarely think about fire protection, or lack there of till their house catches fire.
    HA you got that right. It also doesn't help that our current city government consists of a real estate developer for a mayor and several real estate agents on the city council. The result is that it's a very developer friendly form of government and many times profitability outweighs common sense in my opinion.

Hopefully we'll see some of that change in the upcoming election.

Leave a comment:

• FiremanLyman
    Forum Member

• FiremanLyman
    replied

Ha. Like I have said; We are a Downtown Engine Company, not a Church Group.

And just for the record, you said there was "A" fire station within 5 miles and 3 within a 10 minutes drive. IMO, 10 minutes of driving time does indeed classify as "not having a fire station within the immediate area." Ten minutes of driving is most likely a 12-15 minute response time by the time you factor in dispatching and turnout time.

For a paid, city department operating 10 stations, a 12-15 response from the time someone calls is too long.
    People get the fire protection they pay for. If the citizens were (probably are now) concerned, they would have figured out that they built their pretty and new subdivision without the FD being able to meet an NFPA 1710 manning within 8 minutes, as the standard states. But instead, they were probably more concerned about the quality of parks, and how close the grocery store is. Soccer moms rarely think about fire protection, or lack there of till their house catches fire.

Leave a comment:

• DeputyChiefGonzo
    Forum Member

• DeputyChiefGonzo
    replied
    EGregory.. keep in mind that in the firehouse, the breakfast of champions is sarcasm, lunch is criticism, dinner is ballbusting... smartassed comments and lampooning are served as coffee and dessert!
    DeputyChiefGonzo
    Forum Member
    Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 09-23-2010, 11:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MemphisE34a
    Forum Member

• MemphisE34a
    replied
    Originally posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    I have to hand it to you...

For a guy that had his teeth kicked in, you handled it well.

Everything is a learning experience.

Carry on sir, just don't over-think your positon.
    I agree with the Knight!!

Leave a comment:

• PaladinKnight
    Forum Member

• PaladinKnight
    replied
    You guys are probably right about the "Grow thicker skin" comments, It's been a while since I've had to be low man on the totem pole in just about anything so I may have forgotten the crap that comes along with it. I really do appreciate each of you who took the time to respond.
    I have to hand it to you...

For a guy that had his teeth kicked in, you handled it well.

Everything is a learning experience.

Carry on sir, just don't over-think your positon.

Leave a comment:

• Capt387
    Forum Member

• Capt387
    replied
    You guys are probably right about the "Grow thicker skin" comments, It's been a while since I've had to be low man on the totem pole in just about anything so I may have forgotten the crap that comes along with it. I really do appreciate each of you who took the time to respond.
    This is one of the fields that is truly the case. Thicker the better

Leave a comment:

• EGregory
    Forum Member

• EGregory
    replied

Leave a comment:

• EGregory
    Forum Member

• EGregory
    replied
    Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    If you are "trying to get started with your countys volunteer FD" you might want to grow some thicker skin. Again for someone just "starting out" maybe you need to get a good grasp of the basics first before you get involved with something better suited to chief officers.
    I appreciate the advice, I'm spending a lot of time on the basics but I haven't even really started in the training program at this point. It's more me scouring for any resouce I can to learn more at this point.

The only reason I asked the question was it seemed the reported was taking a dig at the fire service in general and I was curious of the approximate response times for the area of the fire were considered acceptable. I have family that live within a few blocks of that location so the curiosity about it was probably as much from the "Concerned Citizen" side of things as it was from the "I'm looking forward to becoming involved in the fire service.

Leave a comment:

• EGregory
    Forum Member

• EGregory
    replied

Thank you, that's exactly the kind of answer I was honestly looking for.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X