X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EGregory
    Forum Member
    • Sep 2010

Response time opinions

According to the article here, it says there was no firehouse in the area and response time caused the additonal houses to catch fire. I've looked it up and according to Google Maps there are 3 firehouses that are a 10 minute drive at the speed limit from this location.

I live in Clarksville and it's a city which is very spread out, suburban area. Obviously everyone would like to see the shortest response time possible but I'm wondering what the opinion would be as to whether a 10 minute response time is "acceptable" and if it's fair to say "there is no firehouse in the area" when there is a station within 5 miles.

My thought is that in an area like this you're probably not going to get any better than that due to the financial realities of creating a new fire station when there's already one 5 miles away.

My thought is that it's a reporter who instead of just saying the fire spread that quickly had to throw something in there that sounded like blame.

Please share your opinions and if you like give me an idea of what your maximum response time is for your first due area. I'm trying to get started with my county's volunteer department so I'm working on trying to get a deeper understanding of all the various concepts involved with the world of firefighting.

Thanks
    Eric
  • adam015
    MembersZone Subscriber
    • Aug 2009

Our SOP is out of the house in 60 seconds. Depending on the call our rescue is first out on everything simply because its smaller and faster than the engines. Rescue driver and duty officer are on the rescue and engine driver and senior firefighter are on the engine. Has worked very well. Response times obviously vary depending on location in the city or county but the longest response time will take about 6 to 9 minutes.
    *Always leave the job a little better for the next guy*

Comment

• Capt387
      Forum Member
      • Sep 2009

common thing in news people to only tell part of the story. Eventhough the area where the fires happened may have a Clarksville TN address, it more than likely is not in the Clarksville City Limits (I am familiar with Clarksville). 2/3's of my county has my career FD city address and if we were responsible for it we would put about 6 VFD's on a very limited run volume. To Monday morning quarterback a run on a article written as badly as this one when there is nothing else to go one isn't condusive to learning. I have had runs I have been on over the past 20+years chopped to bits in the media

Correcting myself here.... According to google it is in the corp. limits of Clarksville. If that be the case and it is beyond the 5 mile rule, their insurance bills must suck. Heck, Guthrie Ky would be straighter at least!
      Last edited by Capt387; 09-23-2010, 10:55 AM.
      Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?” (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Comment

• slackjawedyokel
        Forum Member
        • Mar 2003

If you are "just starting" out , why not concerate on learning the basics first and leave the politics/ planning to the officers ?
        ?

Comment

• CaptOldTimer
          Forum Member
          • Jun 1999

Fire houses are located and spaced as per the fire load for the area they serve. A residential area will have usually a 4 to 8 minute respond time where an industrial area will have much less. This also means additional fire houses would be needed.

Plain Jane residential have fire houses more spread out as the fire load isn't that heavy.

You can't have a house located on the corner every other block or two. It is too cost prohibitive.
          Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

• MemphisE34a
            Forum Member
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by EGregory
            According to the article here, it says there was no firehouse in the area and response time caused the additonal houses to catch fire. I've looked it up and according to Google Maps there are 3 firehouses that are a 10 minute drive at the speed limit from this location.

I live in Clarksville and it's a city which is very spread out, suburban area. Obviously everyone would like to see the shortest response time possible but I'm wondering what the opinion would be as to whether a 10 minute response time is "acceptable" and if it's fair to say "there is no firehouse in the area" when there is a station within 5 miles.

My thought is that in an area like this you're probably not going to get any better than that due to the financial realities of creating a new fire station when there's already one 5 miles away.

My thought is that it's a reporter who instead of just saying the fire spread that quickly had to throw something in there that sounded like blame.

Please share your opinions and if you like give me an idea of what your maximum response time is for your first due area. I'm trying to get started with my county's volunteer department so I'm working on trying to get a deeper understanding of all the various concepts involved with the world of firefighting.

Thanks
            Eric
            Eric,

This is what I found on google in about 1o minutes - ALL INFORMATION IS BASED ON GOOGLE MAPS:

The location of the fire was indeed in the City limits of Clarksville

There are (3) fire station within 5 miles of the incident-
            #9 is 2.4 miles
            #10 is 3.0 miles
            #8 is 4.5 miles

#7 is 6.6 miles
            #6 is 6.8 miles
            #1 is 7.1 miles
            #5 is 7.5 miles
            #3 is 7.8 miles
            #2 is 8.3 miles
            #4 is 9.0 miles

When all of this is mapped out, Clarksville most likely needs another fire station in the extreme northeast area of the city, but all in all, it's not that bad.

A larger contributing factor is most likely that Clarksville does not send enough people to reported structure fires on the initial alarm. It appears that station 9 and 10, the 2 closest to the fire, ride with 3 man companies.

Did you let everyone in school do you homework for you?
            RK
            cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Comment

• Capt387
              Forum Member
              • Sep 2009

Robert,

when you look at the street views on Google there isn't anything matching up.
              Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?” (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Comment

• EGregory
                Forum Member
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by MemphisE34a
                Eric,

This is what I found on google in about 1o minutes - ALL INFORMATION IS BASED ON GOOGLE MAPS:

The location of the fire was indeed in the City limits of Clarksville

There are (3) fire station within 5 miles of the incident-
                #9 is 2.4 miles
                #10 is 3.0 miles
                #8 is 4.5 miles

#7 is 6.6 miles
                #6 is 6.8 miles
                #1 is 7.1 miles
                #5 is 7.5 miles
                #3 is 7.8 miles
                #2 is 8.3 miles
                #4 is 9.0 miles

When all of this is mapped out, Clarksville most likely needs another fire station in the extreme northeast area of the city, but all in all, it's not that bad.

A larger contributing factor is most likely that Clarksville does not send enough people to reported structure fires on the initial alarm. It appears that station 9 and 10, the 2 closest to the fire, ride with 3 man companies.

Did you let everyone in school do you homework for you?
                Robert, I found and posted the fact that there are 3 firehouses in a relatively short distance from that location. Thank you for reiterating that fact.

Your last comment there comes off as snide and rude. I wasn't aware that there was something inherently wrong with someone who is new to something and who has spent time researching the subject to ask a question of those more experienced when they still have a question or when they would like to hear the opinion of those who have real world experience.

Thank you again for the information you posted, the smartass comment at the end just baffles me.

Comment

• slackjawedyokel
                  Forum Member
                  • Mar 2003

If you are "trying to get started with your countys volunteer FD" you might want to grow some thicker skin. Again for someone just "starting out" maybe you need to get a good grasp of the basics first before you get involved with something better suited to chief officers.
                  ?

Comment

• MemphisE34a
                    Forum Member
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by EGregory
                    Thank you again for the information you posted, the smartass comment at the end just baffles me.
                    Don't spend a lot of time in the firehouse huh?

I am a fireman. I excel at certain things.....being a smartass is one of them.

And just for the record, you said there was "A" fire station within 5 miles and 3 within a 10 minutes drive. IMO, 10 minutes of driving time does indeed classify as "not having a fire station within the immediate area." Ten minutes of driving is most likely a 12-15 minute response time by the time you factor in dispatching and turnout time.

For a paid, city department operating 10 stations, a 12-15 response from the time someone calls is too long.
                    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 09-23-2010, 04:25 PM.
                    RK
                    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Comment

• MemphisE34a
                      Forum Member
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Capt387
                      Robert,

when you look at the street views on Google there isn't anything matching up.
                      Hey Cap. That's strange. I tried a few street views as well and didn't see any stations either. Who knows?

I tried in yahoo maps as well, it it doesn't even show the street where the fire occured.
                      RK
                      cell #901-494-9437

Comment

• CaptOldTimer
                        Forum Member
                        • Jun 1999

Hey Loo, let the newbie's figure it out by themselves.

They will be in for a rude awaking if they ever get in a fire house on 24 hour tours! They will love the fresh meat!
                        Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

• Capt387
                          Forum Member
                          • Sep 2009

You sound like the Tennessee version of me!

Comment

• Capt387
                            Forum Member
                            • Sep 2009

Hey Cap. That's strange. I tried a few street views as well and didn't see any stations either. Who knows?

I tried in yahoo maps as well, it it doesn't even show the street where the fire occured.
                            Tried my area of Ky and a few other parts of the country I know and the street view is pretty well on spot. I used to sell a older gentlemen equipment that he resold in east TN. One day I had him on the phone telling him I was looking at a pic of his house. He said "My house IS NOT on the internet". After I described it to a T along with his equipment trailer and where he parked it in his drive, I spent the next 30 miutes claming him down!

Comment

• EGregory
                              Forum Member
                              • Sep 2010

And just for the record, you said there was "A" fire station within 5 miles and 3 within a 10 minutes drive. IMO, 10 minutes of driving time does indeed classify as "not having a fire station within the immediate area." Ten minutes of driving is most likely a 12-15 minute response time by the time you factor in dispatching and turnout time.

For a paid, city department operating 10 stations, a 12-15 response from the time someone calls is too long.
                              Thank you, that's exactly the kind of answer I was honestly looking for.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...