Spirit of Louisiana/FDNY E283

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spirit of Louisiana/FDNY E283

Just wanted to share a few photos (and history) with you guys of FDNY Engine 283. After 9/11, this engine, nicknamed the "Spirit of Louisiana", was donated by the people of Louisiana to replace apparatus destroyed on that day. It served in Brooklyn for a couple of years and then did some time in a training role, from what I understand.

In 2005, Hurricane Katrina struck New Orleans and many NOFD apparatus were damaged. FDNY loaded up the former Engine 283 (and other apparatus and manpower) and donated it back to Louisiana. It served as a replacement apparatus in New Orleans for a time until they could get their fleet rebuilt.

By this time the engine had seen its share of hard use and was in poor shape. As the truck was slated for decommision, the Louisiana State Fire Marshal's office took an interest in preserving this little piece of firefighting history. Ferrara Fire Apparatus, the original builder, completely refurbished the truck and it now resides at the State Fire Marshal's office in Baton Rouge. It now belongs to the people of Louisiana and is available for events and appearances around the state.

It just so happens that one of my captains, Ryan Gros, is an inspector with the Fire Marshal's office and was able to obtain the truck for a Harvest Festival that was held in our area this weekend. The truck looks great and has been restored to its original condition. Just thought you might like to hear the story and see the pics.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dmleblanc; 09-19-2010, 10:03 PM.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

How does that go... "what comes around, goes around..."

I'm sure that FDNY was more than happy to receive it. And just as happy to send it back home, as it was needed there.

Nice touch though, in keeping the FDNY lettering over the grill.

Good story to see, thanks.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

Originally posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
      Nice touch though, in keeping the FDNY lettering over the grill.

FM1
      The truck was built completely to FDNY specs and has been restored to its original condition as it was delivered to them in early 2002. With the exception of an extra New Orleans Fire Department decal added to the rear doors, it is fully FDNY specs....
      Attached Files
      Last edited by dmleblanc; 09-20-2010, 09:12 AM.
      Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
      Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
      Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
      — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Comment

Thanks for the story Dwayne,nice to see what goes around comes around. T.C.

Comment

that engine has had an interesting run to say the least, nice story.

Comment

Originally posted by dmleblanc
            The truck was built completely to FDNY specs and has been restored to its original condition as it was delivered to them in early 2002. With the exception of an extra New Orleans Fire Department decal added to the rear doors, it is fully FDNY specs....
            Thanks for the clarification. Didn't realize that it was specifically built for and per FDNY specs.

Either way, good story, and nice rig.

FM1
            I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
            "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

I tried to get it for our Open House in October.

No luck.
              Last edited by LaFireEducator; 09-21-2010, 08:17 AM.
              Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X