Rope Slide Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rope Slide Article

I'm looking for an article that appeared probably 20 years ago in either Firehouse or Fire Engineering. It was about the emergency rope slide where the rope when under your foot and the slack end was held against the tensioned rope rope to create friction.

I'm doing some historical research on and a copy of this would really help me out. Thanks.
    Weekly updates on the world of rope:

http://rescue2training.com/journal.html

Well............

I have a hunch you may be in my part of the World. If so, try asking at MFRI. They may have something in the archives.........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

I'm curious now... if you find it could you post it?!
      ------------------------------------
      These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
      ------------------------------------

Comment

leg slide?

found this in a CFD ropes training manual. sounds like what you may be looking for.

from manual:
        "...sliding down a rope may be your only means of escape.....place the rope from the inside of the calf, around the right leg and over the instep of the right foot. the firefighter then eases himself out over the ledge. while suspended, the FF places the arch of his left foot on the rope, which is riding over the instep of his right foot. brake by applying pressure on the rope with the arch of the left foot. DO NOT allow the rope to slide through the hands.....use the hand-under-hand method for descent....."

i'll try to figure out how to post a picture

Comment

Leg slide picture
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for all of the help everybody.

The picture was not the one I was thinking of, but it will certainly fit the bill as far as the historical aspect I was looking for. Any idea how long that has been on the CFD books? It looks a lot like the pictures in the old Civil Defense stuff from the 50's.
            Weekly updates on the world of rope:

http://rescue2training.com/journal.html

Comment

no date, but i'd guess it's the 60's. only reference is daley mayor and quinn commish (this covers 1957-1976).

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X