No announcement yet.

Ipad Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At our annual meeting, our Chief Information Officer held the IPad up to the crowd of collected executives, directors and managers and discussed the future uses of the device with amazement.

It's pretty amazing, the most amazing part, that's often overlooked? It doesn't give off any appreciable heat... pretty amazing, really.

I have one, it's a novelty for me but there is no denying the incredible engineering that went into this device. I see many uses in the future in many applications.

...and I ain't no Apple zombie. I have and will always? be a PC guy. But this thing is awesome.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
      The FCC didn't set the release date. That was Apple rushing to market with a device they knew was incomplete knowing that the Apple lemmings would buy it anyway.
      No it was not, Apple has a very vibrant rumor mill and the iPad leaks were starting to take hold. Apple announced the iPad before the FCC did. It's common knowledge the FCC usually lets the cat out of the bag for many things.

AT&T is another flaw I neglected to mention. Better to have carrier options than be forced to use what is easily the worst carrier going.
      Can't disagree there.

You can write anything you want and name any price you want. You just can't sell it on the iPhone store unless Apple approves of it. You can try to sell elsewhere but then you can only sell to people with jailbroken iPhones/iPads which Apple reserves the right to brick if they get caught. That's not a free market. That's a monopoly.
      Yes, Apple has to approve, their approval ratings are at 96%...Some monopoly.

If that's the case then they've redesigned it from the bottom up since the last press release I read.
      Yes they have since Ballmer introduced it at CES. HP has outright bought Palm and is making Palm webOS devices.

I beg to differ but it's a moot point. Either way it's a far cry from it's *nix antecedent. If we're going to look at *nix derivatives, Android OS has already proven itself superior to iOS and doesn't share the market limitations imposed by Apple.
      True the Android is currently outselling the iPhone daily but when you look at the devices and networks it is on it understandable. The iPad on the other hand is outselling any previous netbook or tablet OS which Microsoft invented in 2001 with Bill Gates introducing it. Regardless of whether you like the iPad or not you have to agree that Apple takes a product and makes it better.

iPod, iPhone, iPad and even the most modern operating system Mac OS...It's built on Unix and is a very strong OS...

Comment

Originally posted by islandfire03 View Post
        A five hundred pound ANVIL is not firefighter proof
        Give a firefighter two ball bearings and stick him in an empty room. He'll lose one and break the other.

I think the concept of an iPad-like device has some promise. We're already using touch-screens with the notebook PC's, but they're bulky and expensive.

The iPad does have some options for protective cases, but the software market for what we need I don't think is quite there. However, I saw that Firehouse Software has an inspection module for the iPad, which makes me wonder what else they have in the works.

For my small, small-budget vollie department, the price is right and the ability to have a wireless connection is certainly a plus. Get the software suites that we need and it'll be tempting to have a serious look.

Comment

I believe our Fire Official/Inspector uses one... not sure, though.
          I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Originally posted by Catch22 View Post
            Give a firefighter two ball bearings and stick him in an empty room. He'll lose one and break the other.
            I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.. Thank you!

-Damien

Comment

Someone needs to take off their Apple Fanbois hat..

Apple did a nice job with the iPad and at the time it was released raised the bar for the tablet market.. one which had been pretty stagnant for a while. Since then other companies have come out with products that match or exceed the iPad in capability.

Is it a replacement for a general purpose laptop? No, but it was never meant to be. But it is very nice for web, music, movies..etc. iOS is nice.. For the device/purpose it doesn't have the overhead, sluggishness, or complexity of windows, MacOS, or *nix.

Am I going to spend $500 for one? No. Would I use one if it "fell off the back of a truck"? You bet.

Giving one to a firefighter would be like giving an Elephant ballerina slippers.
              So you call this your free country
              Tell me why it costs so much to live
              -3dd

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse