Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dickey
    replied
    I love wearing my uniform into stores and restaurants to get free stuff too.

Leave a comment:

• scfire86
    replied

Plus there's all the action you get from chicks.

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    replied
    Hmmm..............

Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    What's "big" in your opinion?

Well, She said............. Never Mind......

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    replied
    Hey!!!...................

NAMELESS!!!.......

Dang it!!..... It's all your Fault.......... Coffee all over the Screen and Keyboard.....

(Note to self - DO NOT read Nameless with Full Coffee Cup in Hand.....)

Leave a comment:

• Tooanfrom
    replied
    Once upon a time I was a hero(or so the newspapers said) now I am a retired hero--anybody wanna buy a Superman suit-slightly used-charred round the cape?

Good for another umptyfrewthousand rescues--cash no cheques.

Leave a comment:

• dmleblanc
    replied
    Originally posted by hwoods View Post
    There are times that I don't know where to start, and this is one of them. As a 52 year Member of a Station that runs around 4,000 call per year, I've seen a lot....... You haven't. What you should do, in my opinion, is Find a Busy Volunteer Fire Department, and apply for Membership. You need to understand that this is a Way of Life, not a "Job"..... Try it, see what you think, but even more importantly, see what others think of you..... And don't go off about you don't want anything to do with a Small Department. That would be a quick way to get shown the Door.....

Well said, Harve...As much as I generally prefer not to quote silly firefighting T-shirts, I do recall one that sums it up....

"It's not something you DO.....it's something you ARE"

'Nuff said?

Leave a comment:

• Blulakr
    replied
    Originally posted by JayburgeyENG25 View Post
    Whats an EMS run? Its the runs you make at three in the morning to some lady that claims that her tummy hurts and needs to go to the hospital. Problem is she is 400lbs and is in the back room of a extremely crowded house with a hallway as wide as a phone booth.
    While that is one example, another is an unresponsive 4 year old boy. While you're performing cpr you see massive bruising all over his body. Some bruises are fresh, some are not indicating severe abuse. Or the lifeless 14 year old girl trapped in an SUV, or the motorcyclist hit multiple times while laying on the highway, or the father of a good friend who just had a heart attack.

These are just a few of the EMS runs that I've seen and I'm just a volunteer in a small dept. Not to scare you away but make sure that you are mentally prepared for this. It's not always, or even often glorious.
    Last edited by Blulakr; 09-13-2010, 02:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BoxAlarm187
    replied
    Originally posted by NoxNoctum View Post
    EDIT: BTW, is anyone here from a big department?
    What's "big" in your opinion?

Leave a comment:

• JayburgeyENG25
    replied
    Whats an EMS run? Its the runs you make at three in the morning to some lady that claims that her tummy hurts and needs to go to the hospital. Problem is she is 400lbs and is in the back room of a extremely crowded house with a hallway as wide as a phone booth.
    Originally posted by NoxNoctum View Post
    Well thanks for the words of realism regarding large departments.

I still wanna finish my degree first so I've got a while to think about this stuff. And what's an EMS run?

Leave a comment:

• NoxNoctum
    replied
    Originally posted by EngineCO38 View Post
    To be honest, those two parts of your post I quoted leads me to believe that being a Firefighter is not the right job for you. We have an "adrenaline junkie" on our dept and he's a freakin knot head. Ask him what a higbee indicator is and he thinks I'm talking about sports. His hearts not in the job, which only makes him a burden on those who are in it for true reasons.

And the real Fire Service is nothing like Rescue Me, yeah its good for a laugh now and again but other than that not a true representation of what we do on a day to day basis.

I would seriously look into the fire service, visit your local firehouse, go on ride alongs. Get the real story before you make a decision, and try and keep your Adrenaline under control.
    I said I was a "bit of an adrenaline junkie". I'm not a total nutjob like this guy you're apparently describing is. And I know I would gain more far more satisfaction from saving someone's life than getting my arm burnt (or whatever). Anyways, I'll look into the volunteering thing and do these "ride alongs", see what it's like.

@nameless, you got a good laugh out of me

EDIT: BTW, is anyone here from a big department?
    Last edited by NoxNoctum; 09-13-2010, 01:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BULL321
    replied
    I think they did. . . . . . . . .Hey . . . . . . .

Leave a comment:

• nameless
    replied
    its super exciting, lets see my last shift we went to a textile factory fire right around shift change, and one of the guys fell through the floor and I caught him. He was dangling above the fire and hes all "let me go, you got kids" and I told him "You go, we go". I said we because I was slipping and one of the other guys had to hold onto me so I wouldn't fall either. We pick up, came back to the fire house, started lunch then we went to save a window washer that had his rope seat fail. So there I was 20 floors above the pavement trying to hang onto a frantic window washer. It all ended well I kicked out a window and rolled into an office. We were leaving that when we get a big fire in some sort of chemical warehouse, factory thing. There were barrels exploding and such, really intense, but I went in with the duece and a half in one hand and a k12 in the other and slayed the dragon. We left there got cleaned up, ate some dinner, then I went to a quadruple shooting. All of us on the engine had our own guy to do CPR on, pretty intense. Then we go back to quarters and I sneak my gf into the firehouse and plow her on the hose bed while the brothers are sleeping. Well we caught a high rise gig, I hate high rise gigs, during this and the guys didnt even notice I was on the top of the engine so they leave for the fire with me and my promiscuous gf atop the engine. Well we get there and the rookie didn't check the door before forcing it and got his face burned off, we all yelled at the lou for not watching the rookie. Then after hanging out at the hospital we go back to quarters and got a detail man for the rest of the shift. Nothing really major happend, few house fires and people trapped MVA's then my relief came in. That was a slow 24 hour shift too. Usually we have like 20 fires and a couple LODDs, makes it super dramatic and intense. Someone should make my life into a movie, it'd be totally sweet.

Leave a comment:

• BULL321
    replied
    Originally posted by hwoods View Post
    There are times that I don't know where to start, and this is one of them. As a 52 year Member of a Station that runs around 4,000 call per year, I've seen a lot....... You haven't. What you should do, in my opinion, is Find a Busy Volunteer Fire Department, and apply for Membership. You need to understand that this is a Way of Life, not a "Job"..... Try it, see what you think, but even more importantly, see what others think of you..... And don't go off about you don't want anything to do with a Small Department. That would be a quick way to get shown the Door.....
    The Chairman of the Board has spoken, you would do good to listen to him! Great advice Harve.

Leave a comment:

• BULL321
    replied
    Originally posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    HAHA, sorry brother, had to laugh. I left a good dept and joined the Marines, and now I'm more bored than I have ever been. I can't wait to get out and run a few EMS calls and false alarms again.
    I hear you Brother. How much longer you got left in?

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    replied
    And.............

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X