Helmet Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet Question

Hey guys, new here but I have been reading the boards for a while now. I am a newly hired firefighter and just had a quick question for you guys. I have a Cairns 880, which is perfect for me because I have a weird shaped head and helmets look bad on me because they sit so high on my head, like a top hat! The 880 actually fits and looks good because it has that lower profile or whatever.

My question is...is there a leather helmet that is kinda similar in the way it sits to the Cairns 880? I know there isnt anything completely the same, but I wanted to see if anyone could help me. Thanks guy.

Not that I'm aware of. Sorry.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Comment

The Paul Conway is probably the closest "leather" you'll find out there.

Welcome to the forums....
      Career Fire Captain
      Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

You are worried about how your helmet looks ? I would be more concernrd with how it protects me --- then again thats just me -- but seriously -to answer your question -- get you a cairns leather - get a big -crawfish pot - boil it untill soft - then mold it to your head - kinda smarts - but dang you will look good.
        ?

Comment

Find a large FD convention (FDIC or the such) and go check out the vendors. You'll usually find manufacturers or stores there with samples. Try them on until you find one that FITS you and PROTECTS you like it should. Looking cool is nice, but getting burned or injured sucks.

Comment

If you were hired as a firefighter, doesn't your department provide you with your PPE instead of paying out of pocket?

Comment

May be he just wants a Leather instead of salad bowl. Don't thump him too hard for asking, well not just yet. . . . . . .
              Last edited by BULL321; 09-12-2010, 11:05 PM.
              Stay Safe
              Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
              - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
              -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Comment

well I do care about being safe more than how I look but that doesn't mean I don't want to see if there is a leather helmet that would look better than others. I figured you guys wouldn't give me a suggestion of some helmet that looks cool but completely sucks in that it is dangerous and crap. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by ffbam24 View Post
                  If you were hired as a firefighter, doesn't your department provide you with your PPE instead of paying out of pocket?
                  Did you read the post? He has a helmet now. He wants a leather. Not that crazy of an idea.

OP- I don't think the Phenix sits as high as some of the other options out there. But that may just be me.
                  Career Firefighter
                  Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
                  I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

I have heard a lot about the Phenix helmets. I have never seen one though. I also don't personally know anyone with a Phenix helmet so that doesn't help me either. And yes, I have a helmet already...that bucket style one, not a traditional style. I like the way the Cairns 880 fits, but I was looking at Leathers and thought it would be cool to have a Leather that fit closely to the 880. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by shoelessT View Post
                      I have heard a lot about the Phenix helmets. I have never seen one though. I also don't personally know anyone with a Phenix helmet so that doesn't help me either. And yes, I have a helmet already...that bucket style one, not a traditional style. I like the way the Cairns 880 fits, but I was looking at Leathers and thought it would be cool to have a Leather that fit closely to the 880. Thanks.
                      There is a whole thread on here from those of us that have Phenix helmets. Check out thier Facebook too. Plenty of pictures.
                      Career Firefighter
                      Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
                      I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

ok just read basically all 27 pages of the thread on Phenix Leathers. Wow 99% of everyone loves them. They seem awesome. There is not a close rep to me (4 hours being the closest), so I may just have to hope for the best and get one. I know I will love it from what I have read, the only (and pretty minor) worry I have is that it will sit to high and look like a top hat! ha.

Does anyone have experience with the phenix sitting too high? Helmets normally sit high on me anyway and that is why I like the Cairns 880 as it has a lower profile but it seems like a lot of posters say that they feel that the Phenix sits lower as well.

Comment

Originally posted by shoelessT View Post
                          ok just read basically all 27 pages of the thread on Phenix Leathers. Wow 99% of everyone loves them. They seem awesome. There is not a close rep to me (4 hours being the closest), so I may just have to hope for the best and get one. I know I will love it from what I have read, the only (and pretty minor) worry I have is that it will sit to high and look like a top hat! ha.

Does anyone have experience with the phenix sitting too high? Helmets normally sit high on me anyway and that is why I like the Cairns 880 as it has a lower profile but it seems like a lot of posters say that they feel that the Phenix sits lower as well.
                          Try adjusting the suspensition system so it will fit lower on your nogging.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X