Firehouse Cleaning.. Can of worms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Acklan View Post
    It is the House Captain (Officer) who is responsible for the day to day running of the station, period. If he does his job everyone else does their's. If the station is disorganized, and dirty it is his fault. The power of the pen will motivate most people, if not maybe they should become cops so they do not have to clean up after themselves.
    I think Harve helped show my point the officer can order and threaten to write up all he wants to. Leadership by the sword is not the answer. Bottomline is that some firefighters will find a way to make the job "look done" not matter what. The officer comes back through and see it and says yup that is been done. That Sr man is the one that is one the floor with the other guys saying hey this is not way we do it., we need to do it this way.

I will agree with you that it is a balance of both formal (being the officer) and Informal (the Seniormen) leadership that combine to make those truely impressive companies out there.

Comment

Station Cleaning.....

I was always told by my BC don't worry about the other shift...just worry about our shift.
      This is what my BC says, but if we don't pull our weight or if we leave the station dirty then it's our *****es and we're held accountable. Honestly, it's gotten rid of a lot of animosity between a couple of Crews. I like being held accountable for the actions of myself and my Crew.

When we finish Pass Down, most Captains will say "don't hesitate to call if you find something or need anything." My response and the usual response is "don't sweat it, we've got (2) days, we'll deal with it....." Pretty rare that we actually are handed a dirty station.

To me, it's similar to another parents kids..... Eventually you're gonna have kids that annoy you. How do you handle that? If it's in my house, I'll advice the parent(s) that is not acceptable in my house and their kid needs to stop. Seems pretty applicable to me..... It's your house, bring it up to the Captain and then let them deal with it. If it doesn't get dealt with then leave it and show your BC or clean it up and let it go. Make sure you do some fact findings also, you'll bust their balls one time and then later find they were up all or most of the night on calls..... I've been there and had it happen to us, it's not cool.....
      "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Comment

Originally posted by hwoods View Post
        As the Junior man in the house one time....
        Yah.....back in 1906

Jason Knecht
        Firefighter/EMT
        Township Fire Dept., Inc.
        Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
        http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
        EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

You do it a couple different ways.

Make a calendar of when "major" cleaning is done. I mean major being other than the normal station cleaning of mopping, dusting, garbage, bathrooms, etc.

Stuff like floor waxing, floor scrubbing, light fixture cleaning, wall cleaning, painting, etc. could be placed on a calendar and whatever shift is working on that day does that duty. That's how I ran the airport fire department when I was chief there. I had a list of stuff to do and when they were to be done. If they fell on your day to work, you are responsible. If you switch with someone, call in sick, vacation, etc. then it is whomever replaces you.

The regular daily stuff should be assigned to each shift with that shift officer in charge. If that shift officer is lazy and doesn't make everyone do it then it becomes the house captain's job to enforce the cleaning rules.
          Jason Knecht
          Firefighter/EMT
          Township Fire Dept., Inc.
          Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
          http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
          EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

Originally posted by RFD21C View Post
            I think Harvey helped show my point the officer can order and threaten to write up all he wants to. Leadership by the sword is not the answer. Bottom line is that some firefighters will find a way to make the job "look done" not matter what. The officer comes back through and see it and says yup that is been done. That Sr man is the one that is one the floor with the other guys saying hey this is not way we do it., we need to do it this way.

I will agree with you that it is a balance of both formal (being the officer) and Informal (the Senior men) leadership that combine to make those truly impressive companies out there.
            Never said it was, but if the officer wants the command he is responsible for everything on his watch. There are many way to motivate people, and corrective action is just one. Bottom line if it is not getting done it lands square on the back of the officer. If not why have an officer to start with.
            Delegation of responsibilities is part of the job, but so is following up to make sure the job is doe and done properly. If the "Senior man" is not executing the tasks as prescribed, maybe the officer should give the next person in line the opportunity to lead. One of an infinite line of opinion, and one I found to be effective.

Comment

Did someone mention a can of worms?
              Attached Files
              ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
              Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Ok OK,.. uncle.

Comment

I couldn't resist....
                  ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                  Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

You are a baaaad man, but I like it!

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
                      I couldn't resist....
                      Beat me to it Gonzo
                      Bill Davis
                      West Harrison Fire Dept
                      2009 Rookie of the Year
                      www.westharrisonfire.com
                      IACOJ Rookie-We all gotta start somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by Acklan View Post
                        Never said it was, but if the officer wants the command he is responsible for everything on his watch. There are many way to motivate people, and corrective action is just one. Bottom line if it is not getting done it lands square on the back of the officer. If not why have an officer to start with.
                        Delegation of responsibilities is part of the job, but so is following up to make sure the job is doe and done properly. If the "Senior man" is not executing the tasks as prescribed, maybe the officer should give the next person in line the opportunity to lead. One of an infinite line of opinion, and one I found to be effective.
                        If you re-read my orginal post you will Clearly see where i stated that ultimatly the station captian is responsible for the condition of the station. In turn the other officers are responsible for their shifts. I was pointing to the fact that Harve help show. Many fireifghers will dodge and dip any kind of work detail. Which is where i feel the senior man is the driving force notice i did not say responsiblity. He is the one that see what goes on "behind the officers" back so to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by RFD21C View Post
                          If you re-read my orginal post you will Clearly see where i stated that ultimatly the station captian is responsible for the condition of the station. In turn the other officers are responsible for their shifts. I was pointing to the fact that Harve help show. Many fireifghers will dodge and dip any kind of work detail. Which is where i feel the senior man is the driving force notice i did not say responsiblity. He is the one that see what goes on "behind the officers" back so to speak.
                          Point well made. Be safe.

Comment

I've had the same problem throughout my career. I had the unfortunate luck of being assigned to "the only shift that ever did anything" no matter what shift that was>
                            DKK
                            Truck Man
                            APFD

"Above all, an assignment to a truck company should be considered a promotion."

Chief John W. Mittendorf-1998

Comment

In addition to the everyday tasks (basic truck checks, washing trucks as needed, picking up, etc.) we have daily tasks:
                              Monday - Clean (i.e. detail) the station
                              Tuesday - Landscaping
                              Wednesday - Extended truck checks
                              Thursday - Touch-up the station
                              Friday - Windows
                              And the weekends we just do light cleaning as needed. They way our schedule is each shift does the same tasks for a couple weeks in a row and then they rotate days and tasks.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X