City of Chicago to Privatize?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City of Chicago to Privatize?

This morning I was listening to WLS 890 AM in Chicago. Roe Conn, the afternoon host, was discussing the ramifications of the recently announced retirement of Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley. The discussion turned to possible candidates to replace the Mayor and what they might try to bring to the table.

Anyway, it was mentioned that some of the Republican businessmen who have expressed interest in running were asked how they could solve some of the City's financial woes knowing that everything that can be sold or leased (including parking meters and toll roads) has already been accounted for. Roe Conn stated that one of the businessmen mentioned the possibility of privatizing the Chicago Fire Department.

What are everyone's thoughts on this? If you want to hear more, Roe Conn will be discussing this in further detail today on his show. If you live outside the Chicago area, the show can be streamed live from 2:00 to 6:00 CDT this afternoon at http://www.wlsam.com

Any business man/mayoral candidate that would seriously suggest privatizing the Chicago Fire Department is so seriously delusional and out of touch as to be laughable. Look at the trends across the country, Rural Metro and Wackenhut are LOSING contracts as cities have begun starting their own FD's again.

I can't imagine how anyone would make a profit sizable enough to deal with the massive headache of fire protection in Chicago. Well, unless they hired a bunch of minimum wage whackers to be the fire department. I don't suppose increased fire losses or deaths would cause any kind of outcry...
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

ahhhh.... WOW... I never understood privitization of an emergency service. There is a hidden word there P-R-O-F-I-T. to me it seems that something has to be sacraficed in the mix somewhere; services, staffing. Surrounding Nashville prior to the Metro move was done by a private company. I think Rural Metro does it outside the area of Knoxville city. Anyone from Knoxville area care to help explain how it works?
      Last edited by Capt387; 09-08-2010, 02:26 PM.
      Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?” (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
        Wackenhut

Comment

Summary of the conversation so far:

The idea was floated by a conservative "think-tank"

The idea includes eliminating up to 50% of the fire department, re-training 1/3 to 1/2 of those members, and bringing them back on as Paramedics/EMTs only.

No way a candidate could get elected with this on his/her platform. Campaign ads saying that the candidate supports arsonists and hates firefighters would be funny, but effective.

There are currently 4,314 firefighters and 619 paramedics in the City of Chicago. If you fire 2,000+ of these members and if approximately 40% of the city's population of 2.8 million votes in a typical election, the odds are good that a large number of the voters would know or be related to a current or former member of the CFD.

Comment

I can't imagine how anyone would make a profit sizable enough to deal with the massive headache of fire protection in Chicago. Well, unless they hired a bunch of minimum wage whackers to be the fire department. I don't suppose increased fire losses or deaths would cause any kind of outcry...
            How would someone making min. wage as a firefighter make them a whacker? That makes no sense,honestly. Because they would probably be non union firefighters? It's a legitimate question.

Comment

Originally posted by FireRescue61 View Post
              What are you confused about?
              Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Conversation, cont'd:

70% of the budget for the City of Chicago is allocated to CPD and CFD.

Despite this, the CPD is understaffed by at least 100 officers.

Some civilian bureaucrats in the police and fire departments make six-figure salaries despite having jobs that duplicate the responsibilities of others who are making similar amounts of money.

Comment

Sorry, I looked it up and found out it's a real company. I thought it was just a made up fire protection company that employs whackers!

Comment

Some may not be aware that Wackenhut is a private company that provides fire, EMS, and security services

Comment

I've bumped into a few people that work fire and ems with them and they think they are hot sh*t.They have this * WE HAVE GOVERNMENT CONTRACTS SO WE ARE SUPERIOR TO REGULAR FIREFIGHTERS AND EMS PERSONS" which bugged me. If the right people get in office in Chicago. I could see Wackenhut being a possible company to provide fire services if they wanted to take the route.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony4310 View Post
                        How would someone making min. wage as a firefighter make them a whacker? That makes no sense,honestly. Because they would probably be non union firefighters? It's a legitimate question.
                        Look, calling someone a whacker that would accept a low paying job from a company that was involved in over 4000 career firefighters and paramedics losing their jobs was kind if you ask me.

Legitimate question...Would YOU be lining up to take one of the jobs?

Do a little research into the shenanigans of Wackenhut in Florida several years back...then come back and see how you feel about them.
                        Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Look, calling someone a whacker that would accept a low paying job from a company that was involved in over 4000 career firefighters and paramedics losing their jobs was kind if you ask me.

Legitimate question...Would YOU be lining up to take one of the jobs?

Do a little research into the shenanigans of Wackenhut in Florida several years back...then come back and see how you feel about them.

Look up Estero, Florida FD and see the folly for yourself...
                          ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                          Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Every once in a while, the idea of "privatizing " public safety comes up.

Keep in mind that private companies like Whackenhut and Rural Metro answer to stockholders... not the communities that they protect.

Do you really want a suit in a high rise building making decisions of how you are going t be protected and how the operation is to be run?
                            ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                            Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
                              Every once in a while, the idea of "privatizing " public safety comes up.

Keep in mind that private companies like Whackenhut and Rural Metro answer to stockholders... not the communities that they protect.

Do you really want a suit in a high rise building making decisions of how you are going t be protected and how the operation is to be run?
                              Exactly, well said. If in a situation I can't pull out ALL the stops if need be to attain a objective, what ever it may be, then I dont want be a part of it.
                              Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?” (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X