Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detroit is BURNING!!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Dickey View Post
    HOLY BALLS!!

    I just hope they all stay safe doing it!
    Tsk Tsk... someone of your rank sayin balls??

    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

    "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

    "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by downstate_firefighter View Post
      I think it is amazing how much press the wildfires in Colorado are getting compared to this. I guess if it doesn't affect $10,000,000 homes and some spotted owls, it doesn't count.
      Just checked the home page of Firehouse.com...you'd think this would be the top story as something almost akin to a conflagaration consumes swaths of what was this country's 5th largest city at one time.

      I guess no one wants to see the result of 40 years of social welfare and tax policies run amok. This story should be a huge issue and covered from numerous angles.... some of which for the slow brained types at FH.com...
      -how is the DFD handling availablity issues.
      -How have cuts and less than optimal NFPA 1710 staffing (perhaps needing something closer to FDNY staffing per comapny than what DFD currently has due to an urban city with heavy decay)
      -How is R&R being addressed with such a heavy fire load? Are the men being over extended? Are they shouldering the burden of pols who'd rather not eliminate other wasteful social programs.
      -Is this actually the city implementing what Dan Patrick Moyinhan from NY suggested NYC do in the 1970s and implement planned shrinkage by allowing for poor resource allocation to neighborhoods that they consider not worth saving and allow fire and crime to rid themselves of residents and structures they aren't willing to support and deal with?

      Are their any real journalists out there?

      God bless the brothers in Detroit...because clearly no one else out there has much interest in looking out for them.

      FTM-PTB

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by FFFRED View Post
        Just checked the home page of Firehouse.com...you'd think this would be the top story as something almost akin to a conflagaration consumes swaths of what was this country's 5th largest city at one time.

        I guess no one wants to see the result of 40 years of social welfare and tax policies run amok. This story should be a huge issue and covered from numerous angles.... some of which for the slow brained types at FH.com...
        -how is the DFD handling availablity issues.
        -How have cuts and less than optimal NFPA 1710 staffing (perhaps needing something closer to FDNY staffing per comapny than what DFD currently has due to an urban city with heavy decay)
        -How is R&R being addressed with such a heavy fire load? Are the men being over extended? Are they shouldering the burden of pols who'd rather not eliminate other wasteful social programs.
        -Is this actually the city implementing what Dan Patrick Moyinhan from NY suggested NYC do in the 1970s and implement planned shrinkage by allowing for poor resource allocation to neighborhoods that they consider not worth saving and allow fire and crime to rid themselves of residents and structures they aren't willing to support and deal with?

        Are their any real journalists out there?

        God bless the brothers in Detroit...because clearly no one else out there has much interest in looking out for them.

        FTM-PTB
        Hopefully some of these things could be brought up in the documentary film that is being underway. I'm sure you have seen the preview trailer for it. If not... here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI261NDLWlM

        Comment


        • #19
          The national news is now discussing a brush fire on Staten Island, NY. Talking about the fact that the FDNY is bringing in a fire boat and may need aerial units.

          But still no mention of Detroit.

          Comment


          • #20
            Uh Huh............

            Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
            Tsk Tsk... someone of your rank sayin balls??



            When You reach his Rank you NEED balls....... But you know that........
            Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
            In memory of
            Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
            Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

            IACOJ Budget Analyst

            I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

            www.gdvfd18.com

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by FFFRED View Post
              Just checked the home page of Firehouse.com...you'd think this would be the top story as something almost akin to a conflagaration consumes swaths of what was this country's 5th largest city at one time.

              I guess no one wants to see the result of 40 years of social welfare and tax policies run amok. This story should be a huge issue and covered from numerous angles.... some of which for the slow brained types at FH.com...
              -how is the DFD handling availablity issues.
              -How have cuts and less than optimal NFPA 1710 staffing (perhaps needing something closer to FDNY staffing per comapny than what DFD currently has due to an urban city with heavy decay)
              -How is R&R being addressed with such a heavy fire load? Are the men being over extended? Are they shouldering the burden of pols who'd rather not eliminate other wasteful social programs.
              -Is this actually the city implementing what Dan Patrick Moyinhan from NY suggested NYC do in the 1970s and implement planned shrinkage by allowing for poor resource allocation to neighborhoods that they consider not worth saving and allow fire and crime to rid themselves of residents and structures they aren't willing to support and deal with?

              Are their any real journalists out there?

              God bless the brothers in Detroit...because clearly no one else out there has much interest in looking out for them.

              FTM-PTB
              You hit the nail on the head. The powers that be do not want to show the despair that exists in Detroit (and many other once vital industrial and economic centers), the poverty, the crime, the vacant houses are merely a manifestation of a much bigger problem that is not going to go away. Surely there are some who wish it would, it is a cold hard, ugly truth and the truth is contrary to the loads of crap Washington feeds to the sheep of this nation. Don't worry, the economy is great, we are not being invaded, we have not surrendered our national identity, language and economy. Everything is cool, hope and change...

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by downstate_firefighter View Post
                The national news is now discussing a brush fire on Staten Island, NY. Talking about the fact that the FDNY is bringing in a fire boat and may need aerial units.

                But still no mention of Detroit.
                A brush fire in Staten Island is a typical job in the fall and spring. 80+ fires one involving 20 houses alone on the East Side of Detroit making it resemble Dresden on a good day is not typical...even for Detroit.

                I can't find mention of it in the NY Times...I guess it doesn't fit their narative.

                FTM-PTB

                Comment


                • #23
                  Was interesting listening to the brush fires that last 2 days in NYC.

                  The thing I found most interesting was that early in the incident when they wanted additional manpower without striking an additional alarm, they were told by dispatch that they coundn't get engine but they could send truck companies.

                  I bet the truckies liked that!
                  Train to fight the fires you fight.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by FFFRED View Post
                    I can't find mention of it in the NY Times...I guess it doesn't fit their narative.

                    FTM-PTB
                    Don't even get me started on that rag. You could get more objective reporting from Pravda.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by FFFRED View Post
                      Is this actually the city implementing what Dan Patrick Moyinhan from NY suggested NYC do in the 1970s and implement planned shrinkage by allowing for poor resource allocation to neighborhoods that they consider not worth saving and allow fire and crime to rid themselves of residents and structures they aren't willing to support and deal with?
                      Funny - as I read about the situation in Detroit, I was thinking pretty much the same thing.
                      Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

                      Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Hmmm plently coverage for San Bruno, Cali, Odd they will cover that event that destroyed comparable amounts of property (not dollar value wise but that isn't the point) and taxed the fire departments with challenges such as exposures and water main issues, similar to Detroit.

                        But no coverage from FH.com and the media on one issue and plenty from todays press on the other. And I thought I was being paranoid.

                        FTM-PTB

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          The truth is no one of national prominence has cared about Detroit in quite a long time. For this administration to admit that a city that was once one of our crown jewels of our industrialism has in many ways become a third world country within our on borders would not bode well with the phony baloney "Hope and Change" pablum being fed the masses.

                          I used to work with a Firefighter who is on Detroit. He was an intern on the career FD I am on. He got hired in Detroit, laid off, got hired on the FD I am on, got offered his job back in Detroit, and to the amazement of some of the other FF's on our department he went back. It didn't surprise me at all that he went back. He is a young guy and the level of fire activity for us is very low, more ems and automatic alarms than actual working fires. Those guys are like soldiers on the front line, fighting a dirty war no one wants to admit is being lost. They are doing everything they can and still the crime, poverty, despair, and arson, some of it most assuredly for profit, seems to be winning. It is a despicable shame that instead of it being in the news every day and politicians stepping up and saying "We need to do something" it is swept under the rug to eliminate any chance of it messing with phony political rhetoric of how things are getting better.

                          To my Detroit Brothers, Keep the Faith, we know what battles you face.
                          Crazy, but that's how it goes
                          Millions of people living as foes
                          Maybe it's not too late
                          To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                            The truth is no one of national prominence has cared about Detroit in quite a long time. For this administration to admit that a city that was once one of our crown jewels of our industrialism has in many ways become a third world country within our on borders would not bode well with the phony baloney "Hope and Change" pablum being fed the masses.

                            I used to work with a Firefighter who is on Detroit. He was an intern on the career FD I am on. He got hired in Detroit, laid off, got hired on the FD I am on, got offered his job back in Detroit, and to the amazement of some of the other FF's on our department he went back. It didn't surprise me at all that he went back. He is a young guy and the level of fire activity for us is very low, more ems and automatic alarms than actual working fires. Those guys are like soldiers on the front line, fighting a dirty war no one wants to admit is being lost. They are doing everything they can and still the crime, poverty, despair, and arson, some of it most assuredly for profit, seems to be winning. It is a despicable shame that instead of it being in the news every day and politicians stepping up and saying "We need to do something" it is swept under the rug to eliminate any chance of it messing with phony political rhetoric of how things are getting better.

                            To my Detroit Brothers, Keep the Faith, we know what battles you face.
                            I'm a bit young to remember, but did the national media talk about the death of Rust Belt cities like Cleveland and Pittsburgh in the '70s?

                            I just can't figure out for the life of me why more people don't care about what has happened to that town. I have my suspicions, but nobody would ever admit it.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by FFFRED View Post
                              -Is this actually the city implementing what Dan Patrick Moyinhan from NY suggested NYC do in the 1970s and implement planned shrinkage by allowing for poor resource allocation to neighborhoods that they consider not worth saving and allow fire and crime to rid themselves of residents and structures they aren't willing to support and deal with?
                              Shrinking the city is a policy goal for our new mayor. Last year's elections gave us a more serious and thoughtful City Council and a more credible mayor (basketball Hall of Famer and steel magnate Dave Bing). But the task of salvaging the city is daunting to say the least, thanks in part to the kleptocracy that has reigned for for so long. A deposed Councilperson -- Monica Conyers, wife of powerful U.S. Congressman John Conyers -- finally heads to the federal pokey today and our former mayor -- Kwame Kilpatrick, son of U.S. Congressperson Carolyn Cheeks-Kilpatrick (who lost her primary election last month) -- currently sits in state prison and was recently charged with a slew of federal counts.

                              Bing spoke before City Council this week on shrinking the city:

                              Bing said while no decisions have been made about which Detroit neighborhoods could be labeled as more vital than others, there will likely be an effort to incentivize residents to relocate when appropriate.

                              The mayor said he is hopeful city leaders – by sharing plans and ideas – can convince those who live in more desolate areas to relocate in an effort offer better city services.

                              “Our job collectively will be to give them a case that we can improve their lifestyle,” he said.

                              Bing said urban farming likely will become a component of any land use plan, but likely only in certain neighborhoods and communities.

                              “In terms of urban farming becoming a major industry here in the city of Detroit, I haven’t bought into that,” he said.

                              Read more: Bing: Strong neighborhoods key to revitalizing Detroit | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/2010090...#ixzz0z8Lfu18N

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by DetroitFF View Post
                                Shrinking the city is a policy goal for our new mayor. Last year's elections gave us a more serious and thoughtful City Council and a more credible mayor (basketball Hall of Famer and steel magnate Dave Bing). But the task of salvaging the city is daunting to say the least, thanks in part to the kleptocracy that has reigned for for so long. A deposed Councilperson -- Monica Conyers, wife of powerful U.S. Congressman John Conyers -- finally heads to the federal pokey today and our former mayor -- Kwame Kilpatrick, son of U.S. Congressperson Carolyn Cheeks-Kilpatrick (who lost her primary election last month) -- currently sits in state prison and was recently charged with a slew of federal counts.

                                Bing spoke before City Council this week on shrinking the city:

                                Good luck brother. Through my better half I know of how the government and taxing structure as well as politics as destroyed business investment in and around your city. Your recent pols seem to be competing with New Orleans for the most corupt hacks ever!

                                In case you aren't completely familiar with planned shrinkage...the idea isn't what to do with vacant land and property. It is for the central planners to pick an area and wall it off (literally or figuratively) and gradually withdrawal services such as Fire, police, sanitation...etc and let the problem "fix" itself. ala' Escape from New York.

                                Similar to how in Office Space, Bill and Bill just "fixed the glitch" and it takes care of itself naturally. However the glitch here involves you guys shouldering the burden and countless civilians being left for dead in the wake of such policies. Until they get "the hint" from city hall and move out on their own and surrender their homes and property they will be under the gun.

                                It is obvious that there is a large amount of infrastructure in Detroit that will not be needed unless they completely overhaul their social justice, tax the hell out of anything that moves or exists mentality. (I don't know anyone who sees this as realistic as if the pols and parasites haven't figured it out after almost a half century of decline...they won't figure it out now.)

                                However to do so in a reckless manner by slashing your resources and still allowing people to live in these areas with substandard protections for their lives and property (no matter how valueless it might be on the open market) is unconscionable.

                                And it should be no surprise that we are seeing so much more coverage for the fires in the Mountains and in San Bruno rather than for the equally devastating conflagration that swept Detroit just days ago. Similar to how America reacted when Carter then Regan traveled to Charlotte St. in the boogie down, most today would still be surprised at the overall condition of Detroit if the chosen one would actually take a stroll away from his teleprompters.

                                We all know that isnt happening.

                                Best of Luck.

                                FTM-PTB

                                Comment

                                300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                                Collapse

                                Upper 300x250

                                Collapse

                                Taboola

                                Collapse

                                Leader

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X