FF Loses Life Trying to Save DPW Worker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry...

Sorry about that. I didnt mean to start an argument or disrespect. I was only pointing out that even though it is wrong, I could see where he was coming from.

The important thing here is to learn from this tragic mistake.

Again, I apologize if I led anyone to feel I was being disrespectful.

Comment

Originally posted by nmfire View Post
      How is going to magically go through a mask with positive pressure? Because if can magically do that, then it can magically go through an SCBA mask too.
      A NRB mask is far from a positive pressure mask. A positive pressure mask, such as an SCBA, must maintain a certain pressure within the mask at all times, including during inspiration.

That is not the case with a NRB or any other form of oxygen mask. The bag on the bottom of an oxygen mask is there to ensure that the breather is getting as much oxygen as possible. Unless you're a very small guy, you will breath in more than the amount of oxygen within that mask and bag and you will breath in outside air.

Hopefully you, nor anyone else for that matter, will attempt something like this and end up a victim as well.

Comment

Instead of sitting around speculating about why this happened or saying "I would never..." maybe come out to the funerals and wakes today tommorow and Saturday, pay your respects and have a beer with these guys friends and brother firemen.
        I am a very highly trained and I like to think I have a bit of experience too and I cannot say honestly that if I saw a longtime friend or co-worker go down in such a fashion that I would not have done the same, contrary to all training, experience and common sense. How many soldiers and LEO's have been shot and or killed trying to remove dead or wounded comrades from harms way? How many firefighters have died trying to save a brother firefighter?
        The only NEVER in this world is that you NEVER KNOW!

Comment

Originally posted by jfTL41 View Post
          Instead of sitting around speculating about why this happened or saying "I would never..." maybe come out to the funerals and wakes today tommorow and Saturday, pay your respects and have a beer with these guys friends and brother firemen.
          I am a very highly trained and I like to think I have a bit of experience too and I cannot say honestly that if I saw a longtime friend or co-worker go down in such a fashion that I would not have done the same, contrary to all training, experience and common sense. How many soldiers and LEO's have been shot and or killed trying to remove dead or wounded comrades from harms way? How many firefighters have died trying to save a brother firefighter?
          The only NEVER in this world is that you NEVER KNOW!
          Testify BROTHER!

My son is a member of the volly FD I am on and I guarantee you I would not be able to calmly standby and do NOTHING if that was him down in that hole.

I would give my all to save my Brothers on the job too.
          Last edited by FyredUp; 09-09-2010, 06:31 PM.
          Crazy, but that's how it goes
          Millions of people living as foes
          Maybe it's not too late
          To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post

I would give my all to save my Brothers on the job too.
            I had one of my engineers make a statement in his house that his life wasn't worth risking for $10.36 per hour if someone went down. I am still dealing with that line of garbage. I couldn't believe it! Told the chief I would have handled it different.
            Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?” (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Comment

Originally posted by Capt387 View Post
              I had one of my engineers make a statement in his house that his life wasn't worth risking for $10.36 per hour if someone went down. I am still dealing with that line of garbage. I couldn't believe it! Told the chief I would have handled it different.
              Then why is he doing this job ANYWAYS?????
              Get the first line into operation.

Comment

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
                And yes, i would still do that today. A burning car, even if a child is trapped, is no place for a firefighter without PPE, SCBA and a handline.
                ...if he's total coward and d-bag, you mean.
                Member IACOJ

Comment

Originally posted by ThNozzleman View Post
                  ...if he's total coward and d-bag, you mean.
                  They call me the coward, that's my name. i run around town running away from flames .............
                  Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Originally posted by fieldseng2 View Post
                    mcdonl

nmfire

All I can say is UGH! Cuz here I go on a major soap box...

So putting on my SCBA (or same mask with airline) before going in a sewer manhole isn't enough to meet your standard?

Comment

They call me the coward, that's my name. i run around town running away from flames .............
                      Would not be surprised.

Comment

So putting on my SCBA (or same mask with airline) before going in a sewer manhole isn't enough to meet your standard?
                        No sir, I did not say that at all. If you read my ranting carefully...what I implied regarding respiratory protection, an O2 NonReBreather (NRB) is not designed as a form of respiratory protection in an IDLH atmosphere. In fact, in certain IDLH atmospheres this would be extremley dangerous (ie. explosive atmosphere).

A SCBA or a supplied air line w/an escape bottle is exactly what you should wear. (In the case of a confined space you would also need a safety attendant monitoring the space as well).

What I did say about wearing a SCBA, certain gases at high concentrations/PPMs can indeed penetrate a positive pressure SCBA mask. Which is why continuous monitoring of a confined space is aboslutley neccessary.

Ill keep it short this time (or at least try). Im not gonna judge what happened, I wasnt there, nor do I have all the facts. What I will tell all of you again....a confined space is an animal like no other. You cant think in terms of a building on fire. Most buildings have many means of getting in, and getting out....most of the time.

Now simplify the definition of a confined space......Its a space thats confining! Hard to get, hard to get out by yourself let alone trying to drag out dead weight of an adult.

Comment

Appropiate that you finally admit it to all.

Comment

I don't want to second guess the tragic situation either - but my mind keeps coming back to this being right behind a fire station. Lots of airpacks stored there.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X