Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Propane Explosion Delaware County, PA

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Propane Explosion Delaware County, PA

    Here is a video from a bystander of a fire at Scully Welding Supply with propane involvement, in Collingdale Borough, Delaware County, PA.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pp1KMNaTJg

  • #2
    one of the buildings damaged is an avid apparatus buff's
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ffmedcbk1 View Post
      one of the buildings damaged is an avid apparatus buff's
      He lost some irreplaceable vehicles and memorabilia.

      Comment


      • #4
        And how many of us have just such a facility - if not in our own district, then somewhere nearby....

        Too bad about losing that gear.
        Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

        Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by tree68 View Post
          And how many of us have just such a facility - if not in our own district, then somewhere nearby....

          Too bad about losing that gear.
          Cannot speak for the rest of the country, but down here you find propane bottles in almost every house. Just in my house I have 6 - 20lb bottles.
          It is a highly overlooked, and danderous, in many cases. Made many fires, with a bottle either venting or completely failed, over the years.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Acklan View Post
            Cannot speak for the rest of the country, but down here you find propane bottles in almost every house. Just in my house I have 6 - 20lb bottles.
            It is a highly overlooked, and dangerous, in many cases. Made many fires, with a bottle either venting or completely failed, over the years.
            It's the same here - 20# cylinders under the gas grille (plus a spare or three), a couple of 100 pounders at the side of the house for the gas stove, a 500 or 1000 gallon out behind the house for heat, etc.

            A local department with a propane facility in it's first due was reported some years ago to have as the preplan evacuation - of the fire department to a somewhat distant park on a hill to watch from there....
            Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

            Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Acklan View Post
              Cannot speak for the rest of the country, but down here you find propane bottles in almost every house. Just in my house I have 6 - 20lb bottles.
              It is a highly overlooked, and danderous, in many cases. Made many fires, with a bottle either venting or completely failed, over the years.
              I thought it says something like "Do not store in any structure" on the bottles???

              Comment


              • #8
                The tags on my pillow say do not remove, but...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Well.........

                  Originally posted by Acklan View Post
                  The tags on my pillow say do not remove, but...

                  I wouldn't worry about the Tags, They'll Burn off............
                  Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                  In memory of
                  Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                  Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

                  IACOJ Budget Analyst

                  I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

                  www.gdvfd18.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    OK, Back To The Topic.........

                    Propane use seems to Vary according to where you live...... I don't see much Propane in my area, EXCEPT 20Lb. Grill Cylinders. Just Yesterday Afternoon we had a Grill Fire, No extension to the House or Deck. There are a couple of those every Summer....... As to Cooking and Heating, Newer Homes have the Propane Tanks (usually 500 Gallons ) Underground. We have had very few problems of any kind with those. I don't know if it's our Milder Winters (Compared to, say, Tree's area) or what, but Electric Heat and Cooking Systems seem to outnumber Propane by a majority. And, add to that, we're on the Eastern Edge of the Metro Area's Natural Gas Distribution System. Some Neighborhoods have had Natural Gas since they were Built, but others don't have it yet........
                    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                    In memory of
                    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

                    IACOJ Budget Analyst

                    I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

                    www.gdvfd18.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by hwoods View Post
                      Propane use seems to Vary according to where you live...... I don't see much Propane in my area, EXCEPT 20Lb. Grill Cylinders. Just Yesterday Afternoon we had a Grill Fire, No extension to the House or Deck. There are a couple of those every Summer....... As to Cooking and Heating, Newer Homes have the Propane Tanks (usually 500 Gallons ) Underground. We have had very few problems of any kind with those. I don't know if it's our Milder Winters (Compared to, say, Tree's area) or what, but Electric Heat and Cooking Systems seem to outnumber Propane by a majority. And, add to that, we're on the Eastern Edge of the Metro Area's Natural Gas Distribution System. Some Neighborhoods have had Natural Gas since they were Built, but others don't have it yet........
                      Down here we find 1 lb cylinders that are stored for hurricane season. The are used in Coleman lamps and stoves. One of the worst feelings is to hear that high pitch "pop off" valve squealing inside of a closet.
                      In my case (at my house) I can boil 150lb of crawfish at one time, which means 3 35,000 BTU burns running. I can have 6 to 12 propane tanks at the house at one time, depending if my friends bring their's as backups.
                      The large outside tanks, 50 to 500 gallons, are not usually a big problems since they are usually set back away from the structure. I have seen 30 gallon tanks ( procured forklift tanks ) inside of house trailers connected to stoves\water heaters\heating units. That is more than a little unnerving to find while fighting fire.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Wow............

                        Originally posted by Acklan View Post
                        Down here we find 1 lb cylinders that are stored for hurricane season. The are used in Coleman lamps and stoves. One of the worst feelings is to hear that high pitch "pop off" valve squealing inside of a closet.
                        In my case (at my house) I can boil 150lb of crawfish at one time, which means 3 35,000 BTU burns running. I can have 6 to 12 propane tanks at the house at one time, depending if my friends bring their's as backups.
                        The large outside tanks, 50 to 500 gallons, are not usually a big problems since they are usually set back away from the structure. I have seen 30 gallon tanks ( procured forklift tanks ) inside of house trailers connected to stoves\water heaters\heating units. That is more than a little unnerving to find while fighting fire.
                        A Hundred and Fifty POUNDS of Crawdads??.......... Dang..... Musta took two years to catch that many......
                        Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                        In memory of
                        Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                        Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

                        IACOJ Budget Analyst

                        I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

                        www.gdvfd18.com

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          In our area Propane has a large presence. Close to 50% of homes have it as primary heating & cooking fuel & generator fuel service. Many have multiple 120 gallon pigs , often times right next to the structures. Newer gas services tend to be 350 -500 gallon buried tanks which are much safer.

                          We had a fully involved structure a few years ago with a garage under that had 8- 20 lb portable propane tanks stored in the basement garage. Sure made for quite a few butt clenching moments as they started to bleed off. Only had one BLEVE out of the eight & by then we had moved the troops back to a safe distance.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by hwoods View Post
                            A Hundred and Fifty POUNDS of Crawdads??.......... Dang..... Musta took two years to catch that many......
                            Last boil we had, we cooked 1500 lbs. What is really impressive it the beer. 5 ton truck with 6 taps (Self serve).

                            Breaux Bridge Crawfish Festival

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Acklan View Post
                              Cannot speak for the rest of the country, but down here you find propane bottles in almost every house. Just in my house I have 6 - 20lb bottles.
                              It is a highly overlooked, and danderous, in many cases. Made many fires, with a bottle either venting or completely failed, over the years.


                              You have these IN your house?? Why?

                              Do you now have a garage, shed or even a deck to store these?

                              I have several, in the shed and the working one on the grill on the deck. Also several small for use with torches to do sweating of pipes in plumbing, that I do. But these are kept outside in my work shed or unattached garage.


                              You don't keep your lawn mower or motor bike, if you have these, in the house as well, do you?
                              Stay Safe and Well Out There....

                              Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X