• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes or No

http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com.../newsid/114437

http://www.wgal.com/video/24606564/detail.html

ahhhh NOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?” (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Comment

Easy one, NO!!!

Comment

Wonder how the warranty reads on that one...

Now if they'd used the aerial to reach the chimney so a rope or cable could be tied on...
        Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Is there any other answer than no?

I don't mind the chimney being toppled - if the area is secure - but to use a ladder truck to
          do it?? NO!

Comment

I'm sure they did it to secure the area so they could get in a get the hotspots or to regain control. With limited information, it is hard to make a monday morning quarterback decision on it.

We've done it to knock out windows before, so it is not to far a of stretch. Although it would make me cringe.

Comment

No effing way; no excuses.
              "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
              sigpic
              The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

No way. No need to regain control of something where the only thing standing is the chimney.....I wonder if our insurance company would even cover the damages to the truck if there had been any after doing something like that.
                Matt G.
                Battalion Chief
                IACOJ-Member
                FTM-PTB

Comment

We've used the stream from a deck gun to knock down a chimney before, but that's about it.
                  "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Comment

Call a local contractor with an excavator, knock down the chimney and the walls to mitigate collapse hazards, spray water on it and call it a day.
                    Last edited by Blulakr; 08-30-2010, 05:43 PM.
                    My wise and profound comments and opinions are mine alone and are in no way associated with any other individual or group.

Comment

New poster, here. Greetings!

Was recently at a mutual aid call. Another dept. brought their aerial at the request of the local dept.. Needless to say, those of us who would love to have a rig like that were stunned to watch these guys use the thing like a giant pike pole.

They used the nozzle of the ladder - NOT a piercing nozzle - to jab holes in the roof. Then, they used the ladder section to pull down some dead electrical lines running to a detached garage. Finally, they used the ladder section to yank, pull, and pound on some smoldering sections of sofit, facia, and gutter.

Comment

Last edited by ColoradoDave; 02-13-2013, 01:05 PM.

Comment

????

Hey I've seen ladder trucks break out windows , extend to max to change flag pole lanyards, move pool tables from roofs, pull victims from a flood control so what's the big deal with what was done to topple a chimney.
                          Respectfully,
                          Jay Dudley
                          Retired Fire
                          Background Investigator
                          IACOJ-Member
                          Lifetime Member CSFA
                          IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

NO!!!

Originally posted by npfd801 View Post
                            We've used the stream from a deck gun to knock down a chimney before, but that's about it.
                            Sure, I've herd of that before.

Originally posted by downstate_firefighter View Post
                            New poster, here. Greetings!

Was recently at a mutual aid call. Another dept. brought their aerial at the request of the local dept.. Needless to say, those of us who would love to have a rig like that were stunned to watch these guys use the thing like a giant pike pole.

They used the nozzle of the ladder - NOT a piercing nozzle - to jab holes in the roof. Then, they used the ladder section to pull down some dead electrical lines running to a detached garage. Finally, they used the ladder section to yank, pull, and pound on some smoldering sections of sofit, facia, and gutter.
                            That's NOT what an aerial should be used for!

Originally posted by JayDudley View Post
                            Hey I've seen ladder trucks break out windows , extend to max to change flag pole lanyards, move pool tables from roofs, pull victims from a flood control so what's the big deal with what was done to topple a chimney.
                            Break out windows? The rest seems OK to do. (OK, well not the pool table...)

Comment

Originally posted by FireRescue61 View Post
                              Break out windows? The rest seems OK to do. (OK, well not the pool table...)
                              see section 4 - http://www.sageauthoring.com/fdny/ft&p/ftplad02.pdf

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X