• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LaFireEducator
    replied
    Nope.

Not me.

It must be somebody who must have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Leave a comment:

• LVFD301
    replied
    Originally posted by memphise34a View Post
    another website violation.

La, your not allowed multiple usernames.

lol!!!! Busted

Leave a comment:

• Jasper 45
    replied
    Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
    Guess it depends on what you call a "working structure fire."

We've had 3 what we call working structure fires in the last 5 years. Of course, by NFIRS standards, we've had a bunch more....

That is true. However, most of the places that are pulling a lot of fire duty, such as Camden, or Flint, or Gary aren't really worried about NFIRS. Along with that, the guys pulling that fire duty don't usually count cars, or garages or dumpsters, just like urban fire companies don't.

Leave a comment:

• Bones42
    replied
    Guess it depends on what you call a "working structure fire."

We've had 3 what we call working structure fires in the last 5 years. Of course, by NFIRS standards, we've had a bunch more....

Leave a comment:

• Jasper 45
    replied
    Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    So you really want me to beleive that a town of just over 12K has run 100 working structure fires through August, which projects out to over 140 for the year?

That's more than one structure fire per 100 residents.

We are a town of 17K and we run under 20. My last department was a town of 24K and we ran under 30 for the year.

Sorry, that number simply doesn't wash unless they have one hell of an arson problem.

Ok; tell you what, I'm not going to be a jag to you...for now...

You always like to tout the whole "it's different every where mantra". And, you like to point out that "we don't know about your area", etc...
    Well, it seems that this is the case with you in this instance.

I can point you to a small, 12,000 member city in western Michigan that runs around 250-300 working fires per year. Step outside their city limits, and it's night and day polar opposites. Take a trip to Flint, or Camden, or several other "smallish" cities that operate at a significant amount of work per year.
    Never mind that as the lieut already pointed out, the first dues of some of our houses can take in 100-200 fires per year.

The fact is that there are smaller departments and fire companies that pull a great deal of fire duty every year.

Leave a comment:

• FireMedic049
    replied
    Originally posted by PNEFD23 View Post
    I was looking at the wrong site for the numbers I threw out there. looking at the right one, it doesn't seem if there are any run numbers posted at all..... so anyone know what they're call volume actually is?
    I don't have hard numbers off hand, but I believe "fire" calls are in the neighborhood of 1000 per year, give or take a few. I'm not quite sure on where the "6000" number came from since the only reference to that number I've come acrossed was for population density and haven't seen any other references to total call volume per year.

http://www.safeuniontown.com/oursituationmustread.html

Leave a comment:

• FireMedic049
    replied
    According to the union's website, they've run 100 working structure fires so far this year.

So you really want me to beleive that a town of just over 12K has run 100 working structure fires through August, which projects out to over 140 for the year?

That's more than one structure fire per 100 residents. And your point other than showing you can do basic math? Plus it isn't a "town", it's a "city".

We are a town of 17K and we run under 20. My last department was a town of 24K and we ran under 30 for the year. And in my city of 24K we generally run 100+ fires a year.

Sorry, that number simply doesn't wash unless they have one hell of an arson problem.
    You do realize that there are places in this country that are different than the places that you've lived at or been to?

I'm not sure off hand how they're doing currently, but yes they have a problem with arson. Just like the other "economically depressed" municipalities in the area. They also respond to fires outside of their city.

Leave a comment:

• MemphisE34a
    replied
    Originally posted by hornpipe1 View Post
    Allright...5 yrs of voyerism, LA I gotta love ya.....through all this nonsense you have been the "voice of reason". Sorry if this doesn't make me popular but after 27 yrs in Fire/EMS he brings up some very interesting and good points. Go LA, I'm your #1 FAN.
    Another website violation.

LA, your not allowed multiple usernames.

Leave a comment:

• hornpipe1
    replied
    Allright...5 yrs of voyerism, LA I gotta love ya.....through all this nonsense you have been the "voice of reason". Sorry if this doesn't make me popular but after 27 yrs in Fire/EMS he brings up some very interesting and good points. Go LA, I'm your #1 FAN.

Leave a comment:

• PNEFD23
    replied
    I was looking at the wrong site for the numbers I threw out there. looking at the right one, it doesn't seem if there are any run numbers posted at all..... so anyone know what they're call volume actually is?

Leave a comment:

• MemphisE34a
    replied
    According to the union's website, they've run 100 working structure fires so far this year.

That's more than one structure fire per 100 residents.

We are a town of 17K and we run under 20.
    Maybe the good people of Bosshier Parish are more careful because they know their fire department is not going to try to extinguish their fires.

We have several engine territories of 3 square miles or less that make over 100 working fires a year, then again we generally put them out after we show up.

Leave a comment:

• LVFD301
    replied
    Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    volleytown sounds better than scabtown
    Nope, discretion is the better part of valor. I am deleting what I had posted and
    just leaving it alone.

Leave a comment:

• slackjawedyokel
    replied
    volleytown sounds better than scabtown

Leave a comment:

• voyager9
    replied
    Originally posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    I have seen more than a few posts on the internet form volunteers in Uniontown stating that they have enjoyed it, but when the paid staff goes, they go. They will not have the jobs of 13 people on their concious. I hope that's true and I hope that none of the citizens in Uniontown die before this Mayor and select council members get ousted.
    If this is truly as it sounds then this is petty city-hall BS. I wish I could say I was surprised. Good for the volunteers to show solidarity..

Reading the article got me thinking what I would do in their position. I honestly think it is good that the volunteers are standing up against these layoffs.. at the same time doing so basically strips the city of all fire protection.. is that fair to the citizens? It's easy for me to sit on the Internet and say yes, but if I were in their shoes it would be very hard to ignore the pager when it goes off..

On a lighter note: Are they changing the name of the town to Vollytown?

Leave a comment:

• roykirk1989
    replied
    So a community of 15,000 can't be served by volunteers?

I find it hard to beleive that a community of 15K runs 6,000 calls a year, even with EMS.
    My old department had a population of 17,000 and ran 6,000 calls a year, about 90% of that being EMS. I hear they're still going up even though the population growth has been stagnant. The reason for our call volume was we had an aging population and a ton of people on Medicaid. Most of the Medicaid people didn't own cars and most of the private clinics refused to take them so they relied on EMS.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X