This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    So you really want me to beleive that a town of just over 12K has run 100 working structure fires through August, which projects out to over 140 for the year?

That's more than one structure fire per 100 residents.

We are a town of 17K and we run under 20. My last department was a town of 24K and we ran under 30 for the year.

Sorry, that number simply doesn't wash unless they have one hell of an arson problem.

Ok; tell you what, I'm not going to be a jag to you...for now...

You always like to tout the whole "it's different every where mantra". And, you like to point out that "we don't know about your area", etc...
    Well, it seems that this is the case with you in this instance.

I can point you to a small, 12,000 member city in western Michigan that runs around 250-300 working fires per year. Step outside their city limits, and it's night and day polar opposites. Take a trip to Flint, or Camden, or several other "smallish" cities that operate at a significant amount of work per year.
    Never mind that as the lieut already pointed out, the first dues of some of our houses can take in 100-200 fires per year.

The fact is that there are smaller departments and fire companies that pull a great deal of fire duty every year.

Comment

Guess it depends on what you call a "working structure fire."

We've had 3 what we call working structure fires in the last 5 years. Of course, by NFIRS standards, we've had a bunch more....
      "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Originally posted by Bones42 View Post

We've had 3 what we call working structure fires in the last 5 years. Of course, by NFIRS standards, we've had a bunch more....

That is true. However, most of the places that are pulling a lot of fire duty, such as Camden, or Flint, or Gary aren't really worried about NFIRS. Along with that, the guys pulling that fire duty don't usually count cars, or garages or dumpsters, just like urban fire companies don't.

Comment

Originally posted by memphise34a View Post
          another website violation.

La, your not allowed multiple usernames.

lol!!!! Busted

Comment

Nope.

Not me.

It must be somebody who must have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
            Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Originally posted by hornpipe1 View Post
              Allright...5 yrs of voyerism, LA I gotta love ya.....through all this nonsense you have been the "voice of reason". Sorry if this doesn't make me popular but after 27 yrs in Fire/EMS he brings up some very interesting and good points. Go LA, I'm your #1 FAN.
              What's IN your pipe? T.C.

Comment

Seems like they probably need to look at consolidating those 3 volunteer companies in the town into one organization if they're going to be trying to shoulder the whole load.

Comment

Originally Posted by hornpipe1
                  Allright...5 yrs of voyerism, LA I gotta love ya.....through all this nonsense you have been the "voice of reason". Sorry if this doesn't make me popular but after 27 yrs in Fire/EMS he brings up some very interesting and good points. Go LA, I'm your #1 FAN.
                  So...Mrs. LAFireEducator has started posting?

Either that, or it is one hell of a display of sarcasm...
                  Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 08-30-2010, 08:52 PM.
                  ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                  Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Originally posted by hornpipe1 View Post
                    Huh? You are joking, right?

Comment

Yo La Fireducker

I really think you should return the pay you receive from your PAID FIRE DEPARTMENT job to show your true spirit of volunteerism.
                      IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

Take THAT Mayor Fike !
                        IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

Uniontown Fire Fighters Back on the Job

September 24, 2010– A panel of three arbitrators has ruled that all of the laid-off fire fighters in Uniontown, Pennsylvania, must be rehired.

Six members of Uniontown Local 955 were laid off in December 2009. During the IAFF 50th Convention in San Diego, Local 955 President Mark Lovey received a letter from the City warning that all remaining fire fighters would be laid off by January 1, 2011, and that the City would replace its career fire fighters with a volunteer department.

The members of Local 955, their legal counsel and the Pennsylvania Professional Fire Fighters Association responded, applying intense pressure on Uniontown Mayor Edward Fike.

Under the terms of the arbitrators’ eight-page ruling, the City of Uniontown will call fire fighters back in a matter of days, and there will be no layoffs over the next four years. Arbitrators also gave fire fighters a 3.5 percent wage increase each year for the next four years.

“Our attorney worked his butt off, but the truth is we had a lot of support from the International, the Pennsylvania Professional Fire Fighters Association and members from throughout the country who heard about what we were going through. They talk about this being a brotherhood and it really is,” Lovey says.

Layoffs reduced staffing from 13 to seven.

“With the help of the IAFF, and especially General President Schaitberger and Fourth District Vice President Bill Taylor, we were able to prevail in a situation that could have been tragic for the fire fighters and the residents of Uniontown,” PPFFA President Art Martynuska says.

Delegates at the IAFF Convention unanimously passed an emergency resolution condemning Mayor Fike for announcing his intent to eliminate the city’s entire career fire department. "We are going to bring money, marbles and chalk! Whatever it takes to win this fight, we will be in union!" Schaitberger told delegates.

“Uniontown is proof-positive that when the IAFF and its members stand together and take care of their own, we prevail,” DVP Taylor says.
                          IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

Originally posted by Bones42 View Post

Oh yes, the NFIRS numbers are BS.
                            I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Originally posted by MIKEYLIKESIT View Post

September 24, 2010– A panel of three arbitrators has ruled that all of the laid-off fire fighters in Uniontown, Pennsylvania, must be rehired.
                              Thanks for posting Mikey!!

Great news.
                              RK
                              cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by MIKEYLIKESIT View Post

Six members of Uniontown Local 955 were laid off in December 2009. During the IAFF 50th Convention in San Diego, Local 955 President Mark Lovey received a letter from the City warning that all remaining fire fighters would be laid off by January 1, 2011, and that the City would replace its career fire fighters with a volunteer department.

The members of Local 955, their legal counsel and the Pennsylvania Professional Fire Fighters Association responded, applying intense pressure on Uniontown Mayor Edward Fike.

Under the terms of the arbitrators’ eight-page ruling, the City of Uniontown will call fire fighters back in a matter of days, and there will be no layoffs over the next four years. Arbitrators also gave fire fighters a 3.5 percent wage increase each year for the next four years.

“Our attorney worked his butt off, but the truth is we had a lot of support from the International, the Pennsylvania Professional Fire Fighters Association and members from throughout the country who heard about what we were going through. They talk about this being a brotherhood and it really is,” Lovey says.

Layoffs reduced staffing from 13 to seven.

“With the help of the IAFF, and especially General President Schaitberger and Fourth District Vice President Bill Taylor, we were able to prevail in a situation that could have been tragic for the fire fighters and the residents of Uniontown,” PPFFA President Art Martynuska says.

Delegates at the IAFF Convention unanimously passed an emergency resolution condemning Mayor Fike for announcing his intent to eliminate the city’s entire career fire department. "We are going to bring money, marbles and chalk! Whatever it takes to win this fight, we will be in union!" Schaitberger told delegates.

“Uniontown is proof-positive that when the IAFF and its members stand together and take care of their own, we prevail,” DVP Taylor says.
                                As much as I feel for anyone losing their job, I have to say, it's a shame this happened.

Unions bullying a town to spend money that they clearly don't have, is not fiscally sound. Think of the big picture. It may be good for the few firefighters who regained their jobs, but this will systemically doom the future of that towns economy in paying for something in which they don't have the monetary means.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X