X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FireMedic049
    replied
    Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Heavens forbid that a city decides to go a different direction with it's fire protection.

How dare the city not provide firefighters with a job!
    You're such a [email protected]$$.

First of all, you don't know what you are talking about regarding this specific situation. This is in my backyard and I know what has been going on.

Secondly, this was not simply deciding to go in a "different direction" as you put it. This was an illconceived decision to eliminate the portion of a city department that handled the bulk of its workload and place it squarely on the backs of the remaining underperforming (in terms of overall participation) portion and additional personnel that may or may not ever exist.

Anybody with half a brain should be able to figure out that you can't decide to eliminate the career staffing in a department like this and be ready to turn over the keys to the operation to the volunteers in a couple months time without an immediate, serious drop off in performance.

Third, this was never about a city not providing firefighters with jobs. This was not the "financial crisis" that the city was claiming it to be.

Leave a comment:

• Acklan
    replied
    Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Still don't get it, do you? HOW did YOU ever get a "paid" gig? Somebody asleep in the village? T.C.
    Ignore him. He is an elitist. He hates career fire fighters while he himself is full time with full benefits. He is one of the "Do not do as I do, do as I say do.". He looks down his nose, with disgust, at the undeserving. How dare we draw a pay check doing a job we love to feed our families.

LaFireEducator are you receiving state supplemental pay?
    Last edited by Acklan; 09-26-2010, 10:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    Still don't get it, do you? HOW did YOU ever get a "paid" gig? Somebody asleep in the village? T.C.

Leave a comment:

• LaFireEducator
    replied
    Heavens forbid that a city decides to go a different direction with it's fire protection.

How dare the city not provide firefighters with a job!

Leave a comment:

• FireMedic049
    replied
    Originally posted by Crowscare_Devoe57 View Post
    As much as I feel for anyone losing their job, I have to say, it's a shame this happened.

Unions bullying a town to spend money that they clearly don't have, is not fiscally sound. Think of the big picture. It may be good for the few firefighters who regained their jobs, but this will systemically doom the future of that towns economy in paying for something in which they don't have the monetary means.
    This isn't a case of the Union "bullying a town to spend money that they clearly don't have". This was a case of an elected official "bullying" a specific group of city employees.

Leave a comment:

• Crowscare_Devoe57
    replied
    Originally posted by MIKEYLIKESIT View Post
    Uniontown Fire Fighters Back on the Job

September 24, 2010– A panel of three arbitrators has ruled that all of the laid-off fire fighters in Uniontown, Pennsylvania, must be rehired.

Six members of Uniontown Local 955 were laid off in December 2009. During the IAFF 50th Convention in San Diego, Local 955 President Mark Lovey received a letter from the City warning that all remaining fire fighters would be laid off by January 1, 2011, and that the City would replace its career fire fighters with a volunteer department.

The members of Local 955, their legal counsel and the Pennsylvania Professional Fire Fighters Association responded, applying intense pressure on Uniontown Mayor Edward Fike.

Under the terms of the arbitrators’ eight-page ruling, the City of Uniontown will call fire fighters back in a matter of days, and there will be no layoffs over the next four years. Arbitrators also gave fire fighters a 3.5 percent wage increase each year for the next four years.

“Our attorney worked his butt off, but the truth is we had a lot of support from the International, the Pennsylvania Professional Fire Fighters Association and members from throughout the country who heard about what we were going through. They talk about this being a brotherhood and it really is,” Lovey says.

Layoffs reduced staffing from 13 to seven.

“With the help of the IAFF, and especially General President Schaitberger and Fourth District Vice President Bill Taylor, we were able to prevail in a situation that could have been tragic for the fire fighters and the residents of Uniontown,” PPFFA President Art Martynuska says.

Delegates at the IAFF Convention unanimously passed an emergency resolution condemning Mayor Fike for announcing his intent to eliminate the city’s entire career fire department. "We are going to bring money, marbles and chalk! Whatever it takes to win this fight, we will be in union!" Schaitberger told delegates.

“Uniontown is proof-positive that when the IAFF and its members stand together and take care of their own, we prevail,” DVP Taylor says.
    As much as I feel for anyone losing their job, I have to say, it's a shame this happened.

Unions bullying a town to spend money that they clearly don't have, is not fiscally sound. Think of the big picture. It may be good for the few firefighters who regained their jobs, but this will systemically doom the future of that towns economy in paying for something in which they don't have the monetary means.

Leave a comment:

• MemphisE34a
    replied
    Originally posted by MIKEYLIKESIT View Post

September 24, 2010– A panel of three arbitrators has ruled that all of the laid-off fire fighters in Uniontown, Pennsylvania, must be rehired.
    Thanks for posting Mikey!!

Great news.

Leave a comment:

• ChiefKN
    replied
    Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
    Guess it depends on what you call a "working structure fire."

We've had 3 what we call working structure fires in the last 5 years. Of course, by NFIRS standards, we've had a bunch more....
    Oh yes, the NFIRS numbers are BS.

Leave a comment:

• MIKEYLIKESIT
    replied

Six members of Uniontown Local 955 were laid off in December 2009. During the IAFF 50th Convention in San Diego, Local 955 President Mark Lovey received a letter from the City warning that all remaining fire fighters would be laid off by January 1, 2011, and that the City would replace its career fire fighters with a volunteer department.

The members of Local 955, their legal counsel and the Pennsylvania Professional Fire Fighters Association responded, applying intense pressure on Uniontown Mayor Edward Fike.

Under the terms of the arbitrators’ eight-page ruling, the City of Uniontown will call fire fighters back in a matter of days, and there will be no layoffs over the next four years. Arbitrators also gave fire fighters a 3.5 percent wage increase each year for the next four years.

“Our attorney worked his butt off, but the truth is we had a lot of support from the International, the Pennsylvania Professional Fire Fighters Association and members from throughout the country who heard about what we were going through. They talk about this being a brotherhood and it really is,” Lovey says.

Layoffs reduced staffing from 13 to seven.

“With the help of the IAFF, and especially General President Schaitberger and Fourth District Vice President Bill Taylor, we were able to prevail in a situation that could have been tragic for the fire fighters and the residents of Uniontown,” PPFFA President Art Martynuska says.

Delegates at the IAFF Convention unanimously passed an emergency resolution condemning Mayor Fike for announcing his intent to eliminate the city’s entire career fire department. "We are going to bring money, marbles and chalk! Whatever it takes to win this fight, we will be in union!" Schaitberger told delegates.

“Uniontown is proof-positive that when the IAFF and its members stand together and take care of their own, we prevail,” DVP Taylor says.

Leave a comment:

• MIKEYLIKESIT
    replied
    Take THAT Mayor Fike !

Leave a comment:

• MIKEYLIKESIT
    replied
    Yo La Fireducker

I really think you should return the pay you receive from your PAID FIRE DEPARTMENT job to show your true spirit of volunteerism.

Leave a comment:

• Acklan
    replied
    Originally posted by hornpipe1 View Post
    Allright...5 yrs of voyerism, LA I gotta love ya.....through all this nonsense you have been the "voice of reason". Sorry if this doesn't make me popular but after 27 yrs in Fire/EMS he brings up some very interesting and good points. Go LA, I'm your #1 FAN.
    Huh? You are joking, right?

Leave a comment:

• DeputyChiefGonzo
    replied
    Originally Posted by hornpipe1
    Allright...5 yrs of voyerism, LA I gotta love ya.....through all this nonsense you have been the "voice of reason". Sorry if this doesn't make me popular but after 27 yrs in Fire/EMS he brings up some very interesting and good points. Go LA, I'm your #1 FAN.
    So...Mrs. LAFireEducator has started posting?

Either that, or it is one hell of a display of sarcasm...
    Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 08-30-2010, 08:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• auxman
    replied
    Seems like they probably need to look at consolidating those 3 volunteer companies in the town into one organization if they're going to be trying to shoulder the whole load.

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    Originally posted by hornpipe1 View Post
    What's IN your pipe? T.C.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X