No announcement yet.

Weirdest call you've got?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic alarm. Nothing at all odd about that one. The follow up call was a little off though, "stated that the alarm is going off in the building and needs to find something to stick in her ears. Caller does not know why the alarm is going off and doesn't want to check." Ok then...

Comment

Originally posted by FuturePrimitive View Post
      Automatic alarm. Nothing at all odd about that one. The follow up call was a little off though, "stated that the alarm is going off in the building and needs to find something to stick in her ears. Caller does not know why the alarm is going off and doesn't want to check." Ok then...

Sometimes the information the dispatchers choose to pass along you just have to chuckle at. "Report of a blue van, fully involved" "So I guess that red SUV with flames shooting out of it wasn't the right one?"

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
        All I can say in this forum, since there are ladies and children about, is that we had a call for a gentleman with a ring on a part of his body and that was cutting off the circulation.

The swelling was terrible and discoloration had begun. We even tried ice water to the "extremity" to try to get it down. That didn't work.

We had to use a ring cutter to remove that ring.

Bad call to be the junior man and have to do the holding...

Comment

Originally posted by len1582 View Post
          Bad call to be the junior man and have to do the holding...
          That's why they invented vice grips !!!! :-}

Comment

Originally posted by mcwops View Post
            Sometimes the information the dispatchers choose to pass along you just have to chuckle at. "Report of a blue van, fully involved" "So I guess that red SUV with flames shooting out of it wasn't the right one?"
            Dont blame dispatch for having color blind 911 callers! Being a dispatcher I know we tell you all weird things, but trust me, its because we are told those things.

Weirdest call as a dispatcher: Female pt was released from hospital for having a UTI.

No big deal right?

Well she was having Abdominal Pain again, and I asked her what caused the UTI to begin with.

Heres the fun part. This lady inserted over 30 tampons, without removing a single one, over the course of a year. She had most removed the first ER visit and wanted the rest removed now.

She said she never removed them, not for sex, anything. Incredible gene pool.

Comment

Not too long ago -

We got dispatched to a 3 year old high fever at 3:30am. I check the MDT before we take off, says 3 year old male high fever, shallow breathing. Ok, sounds good. We get to the house which is about 100' off the road, giant trees out front, and a chain-link fence around the yard. My partner and I walk up to the house, and attempt to make contact with the caller. We ring the doorbell on the side door, back to the front door, and stand outside for about 2 minutes. At this point I'm thinking something isn't right. I hear my partner yell that someone came to the side door. The elderly lady yells at us not to open the door because her dog will get out. (Mind you it's probably a 15 lb dog). We get inside, carrying our jump bags and get about halfway into the house before the lady says anything else. I ask "Where is the patient?" Her reply - "Here, he's not acting right." as she points to the dog. Me - "The dog?" Her - "yes" Me - "There's no 3 year old human here?" Her -"no, he wasn't playing right earlier with the other dogs" The dog was running jumping and playing like a normal dog. After triple checking there was no other humans in the house we kindly advised her that 9-1-1 was for humans and to take the dog to the local vet hospital. I know people get upset when it comes to their pets...I worked as a dispatcher and got a frantic phone call that someone was dying...turned out to be the dog.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbbbbbbbbbo View Post
                Dont blame dispatch for having color blind 911 callers! Being a dispatcher I know we tell you all weird things, but trust me, its because we are told those things.

Weirdest call as a dispatcher: Female pt was released from hospital for having a UTI.

No big deal right?

Well she was having Abdominal Pain again, and I asked her what caused the UTI to begin with.

Heres the fun part. This lady inserted over 30 tampons, without removing a single one, over the course of a year. She had most removed the first ER visit and wanted the rest removed now.

She said she never removed them, not for sex, anything. Incredible gene pool.
                Thats real nice........

Nasty people.
                Get the first line into operation.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbbbbbbbbbo View Post
                  I'm sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound like I was dissing the dispatcher, or that they gave wrong information. I was referring more to the idea of id-ing a vehicle that was fully involved, as if we might have trouble determining the right one. Kind of like trying to find a specific address when looking for a fully involved house fire, should be pretty easy to find it.

Comment

When working at dispatch, I took a 911 call. Woman screaming completely out of control. More screaming and crying in the background. Everything in my power to calm this woman down and figure out what the hell was going on. The only actual words I got out of the panicing bloody murder screaming was deck, kids, something about a someone's head, and something eluding to being dead or unconscious. Who, where, why, how, forget it. Thank god it was a landline with an ALI. My partner on the other side of the console could here this screaming through my earpiece, I just looked at him and he knew and started hitting the tones for everybody (PD, Fire, EMS, national guard, snow plows, NASA, etc). Based on what few words came through her screaming and the background screaming, I was pretty sure at least two children were just killed in a terrible chain saw accident or something.

The conclusion went something like this...

Caller: AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
                    Me: Ma'am you have to calm down so I can help you (for the 8,000th time). What is going on there right now?
                    Caller: AHHHH HE'S DEAD!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
                    Me: WHO!!!!!??????
                    Caller: THE DOG!!!!!!!!!
                    Me: [insert stunned silence]
                    Caller: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Her husband arrived and snatched the phone from her around then. Apparently the kids were playing with the dog on the back deck. The dog hit his head while playing around, knocked himself out cold. Apparently the children and mom are somewhat emotionally attached to this dog (dad, not so much). And consequently the dog regained consciousness while I was on the phone with Dad. While somewhat annoyed, I was glad there wasn't a pediatric chainsaw massacre.
                    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Originally posted by mcwops View Post
                      I'm sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound like I was dissing the dispatcher, or that they gave wrong information. I was referring more to the idea of id-ing a vehicle that was fully involved, as if we might have trouble determining the right one. Kind of like trying to find a specific address when looking for a fully involved house fire, should be pretty easy to find it.
                      Hard as may be to believe. I was working on an ambulance in the capital when Fire got dispatched for a working structure fire. Dispatch was getting relayed the call. I guess the person at home freaked out and called their spouse and forgot to call 911, so the spouse called in the fire from work in his panic got the numbers wrong on the address, which were also a valid address on the same street about 15 miles east of the right location. Fire spent about 5 min. trying to find the fire. The RP is still adamant that the numbers they gave are the correct ones and Dispatch can't verify the address because the RP is calling from a his land line at work. If the rookie at the station a couple blocks from the fire hadn't taken out the trash when he did, the fire probably wouldn't have been found so quickly.

Comment

I love the screaming lady with the hurt dog story. Hilarious. My best call was from a lady who had lost her pet goat. The goat's name was Reposado and he escaped while she was taking him to the county fair. We never found him, but it was one of the funniest calls I've ever gotten.

Rescue Crew
                        Life alert

Comment

The call...
                          Class C motor home engine fire, not enough to roast a marshmallow on--nothing wierd about that call.

The location...
                          Parking lot of a speedway after a Sprint Cup race. Only a little wierd in that it was in the lot next to the firefighter campground.

The response...
                          I'd guess at between 30 and 40 or so firefighters from at least 20 to 25 departments in at least 6 states. Enough water and dry chem extinguishers to do a structure fire.

As we all drifted back to the FF campground i couldn't help but imagine how dramatic the headlines might sound ("FF's From 6 States Respond to Blaze"). Not to mention the need for ICS, NIMS, interagency communications and cooperation. One of those things you probably had to be there for, but what a hoot!!

earl

Comment

Yep.........

Originally posted by Greenacres2 View Post
                            The call...
                            Class C motor home engine fire, not enough to roast a marshmallow on--nothing wierd about that call.

The location...
                            Parking lot of a speedway after a Sprint Cup race. Only a little wierd in that it was in the lot next to the firefighter campground.

The response...
                            I'd guess at between 30 and 40 or so firefighters from at least 20 to 25 departments in at least 6 states. Enough water and dry chem extinguishers to do a structure fire.

As we all drifted back to the FF campground i couldn't help but imagine how dramatic the headlines might sound ("FF's From 6 States Respond to Blaze"). Not to mention the need for ICS, NIMS, interagency communications and cooperation. One of those things you probably had to be there for, but what a hoot!!

earl

Earl, I know the Feeling....... Some years Back..... OK, a lot of years back we were attending a Parade in another County. A Chief of a Community that bordered the town where the Parade was being held was in the Parade lineup and noticed Smoke about a block off to the side of the Parade route. He went to check, and found a rapidly advancing Fire in an Auto Dealership's Garage. The Engine in Front of Mine suddenly turned down the side street as we were moving along. I looked, saw the Fire, and Followed. I picked up his Hydrant and Pumped for the next 2 Hours........ An assignment that exceeded 3 Alarms ended up working the Fire, including units from at least 5 Counties, and almost none of them came farther than a quarter mile......... Lots of Dress Blues on the Fireground...
                            Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                            In memory of
                            Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                            Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

And everybody worked together!!

I'm on a small, rural, volunteer department. We got paged out one January night and as i was sitting in my car waiting for the garage door to go up, i realized the address was for a small aluminum grinding plant right across from my house. So...i put on my bunkers, grabbed my radio, ran the 400 feet down my driveway, across the highway, across the front of their building (by now over a 1/4 mile) and as i rounded the corner i yelled "Do you have a fire?" Heard a woman's voice reply "Yes". Kept running and yelled "Is everybody out?" Again, "Yes". With about my last breath i yelled "Is everybody okay?". This time as the woman yelled "Yes", she stuck her head out from behind a barrier and saw ONE firefighter RUNNING with NO TRUCK, no headlights of any kind--her eyes got huge and i knew that it was her realization that she was not in the city anymore!! (in the meantime i had radioed back and knew the troops were en-route). That startled "I expected at least a truck and a few more people" look on her face was worth the sprint!!

earl

Comment

Originally posted by hwoods View Post
                                .....including units from at least 5 Counties, and almost none of them came farther than a quarter mile......... Lots of Dress Blues on the Fireground...
                                And in that 1/4 mile (of completely closed streets), I have no doubt that every piece of apparatus had all five of their sirens (each) on full power.
                                Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X