X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LaFireEducator
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2004

Hand stuck in a turkey. Yea, really.

Woman who insisted her daughter had no pulse even though she was sitting up an talking to us. We had to have her arrested because she kept getting in our faces about not doing CPR.

Finally....

Got called out at 1 AM for smoke in the area from a pay phone. We arrived, searched the area and found nothing.

A little later the police picked up a woman, who apparently had a history with the local cops. Some how they determined she made the call and she was arrested for making a false report.

About 3 hours later, we get called back by another resident to smoke in the same area. This time we find a small winterized summer camp burning. Luckily wasn't much of a fire as there was no furniture in the structure.

It was being rented by the woman the cops picked up earlier and still had. They simply changed the charge to arson.

I'm sure I could think of more.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

• mcwops
      Forum Member
      • Jul 2010

We once had a young girl who sent herself into actual respiratory arrest while arguing with her mother in the park.

Comment

• L-Webb
        Forum Member
        • May 2009

August of 07, Got a call for a hay bale on fire, Caller stated that it was just ONE As we got enroute we saw the smoke from about 10 miles.

It turns out it was no less than 1500 of the large rolls. As you all know you can't really put out a hay fire, The problem was is they stored the hay less than 50 feet from their house, barn, ect ect. So we used everything in our county for a day and a half. But we did save the house and barn.
        Get the first line into operation.

Comment

• tree68
          MembersZone Subscriber
          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by L-Webb
          It turns out it was no less than 1500 of the large rolls.
          Been there, done that. Moved a lot of water.

At least they were all in one place. Had a farmer not long ago burn all the big bales where they sat - all over the field. Since ag is exempt from many burning regs, we just let 'em burn.
          Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

• Christian1147
            Forum Member
            • Jul 2010

Not mine, but worth sharing...

My first day on my dept. I was talking to one of the more experienced EMTs who'd had a call the night before where a gentleman, not following proper gun holstering technique, decided to store his weopon in the front of his wasteband and ended up shooting his sack off

Comment

• KuhShise
              MembersZone Subscriber
              • Jan 2007

Yankee750: We too were dispatched for a “Monkey in a Tree” call. The owner had the animal on a leash when it decided to run off into the wooded area behind the house. Fortunately it was tangled in a tall maple tree close to the adjoining driveway. Trees were too high to reach with a ladder and in fact required the full extension of a 75 ft. Snorkel including the lower boom safety bypass. This was in the days of hip boots and long coats. Snorkel uses a “T” type handle to “lock-out” the three way valve in the basket and the operator maneuvered the basket right up within about 4 feet of the frightened animal’s leash. Operator locked out the controls and leaned directly over the handle to reach for the monkey. It moved, so he stretched out over the basket rail, raising his right leg to gain more reach. The boot top caught the “T” handle activating the lower boom forward and the upper boom downward. We darn near dumped the truck. This resulted in a new SOP requiring the turntable operator to “Lock Out” the basket any time it was in position and not being moved.

Comment

• PaladinKnight
                Forum Member
                • Aug 2006

Originally posted by hwoods
                Thanks, Coffee all over the Monitor. Again.
                Sorry Harve. You must learn to not try to take a drink when reading.

Isn't it funny that real life is so much more interesting than fiction? You just can't make some of this stuff up.

I don't even know where to begin. My fear is if I start remembering the weirdest calls, I will want to go back to the truck. That would be very bad for the crew. But it would be worth reading about.
                HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

• Blulakr
                  Forum Member
                  • Jan 2010

Not a sex room story but I think I'm in contention.

We were toned out to a traffic accident at night a few miles up the local highway. Seemed like a normal T\A, driver lost control, ran off the road, rolled car etc.... Two elderly patients. When asked who the driver was neither would admit it. After loading both victims into the ambulance a third person came walking up out of the dark to the scene. This person ended up being the daughter of the two in the ambulance.

The three, father mother and daughter, were heading up the hill in the same vehicle with the daughter driving, mom in passenger front seat and dad in back. The clutch went out on their car and it would not make it up the hill. Daughter gets out of drivers seat and pushes car around to point it downhill so thay could make it back to town. Car takes off down hill with mom in passenger seat and dad in rear seat. No one driving. Dad tries to steer vehicle from back seat but after a few miles the vehicle gains too much speed and runs off the road.

The daughter who should have been driving walked approx 2 miles downhill to the accident scene.

Although there were serious injuries, everyone survived.
                  My wise and profound comments and opinions are mine alone and are in no way associated with any other individual or group.

Comment

• CaptOldTimer
                    Forum Member
                    • Jun 1999

All I can say in this forum, since there are ladies and children about, is that we had a call for a gentleman with a ring on a part of his body and that was cutting off the circulation.

The swelling was terrible and discoloration had begun. We even tried ice water to the "extremity" to try to get it down. That didn't work.

We had to use a ring cutter to remove that ring.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

• dragonfyre
                      Forum Member
                      • Dec 2001

Originally posted by mikeyboy
                      Once the Pt. was loaded into the Ambulance the P.D. Sgt. came over to us and asked if we could help locate the source of the smoke. Upon our investigation, we found a "Sex Room" with a swing (think Tommy Lee), a S.M. Suit, rubber/glass/plastic male organs, anal beads, butt plugs, handcuffs and various vibrators. When we were done "ooooing" and "awwwing" we lost it laughing. My C.O. at the time said the Pt. was his "hero."
                      We had the same kind of call last year on a QRS call, found the vic in his secret attic with all the toys but he hung himself trying the orgasism by rope method. Was very cold and stiff when I tried to get a pulse.
                      Steve Dragon
                      FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
                      Volunteers are never "off duty".
                      http://www.bufd7.org

Comment

• PaladinKnight
                        Forum Member
                        • Aug 2006

We had to use a ring cutter to remove that ring.

He must have thought it was a good idea at the time... pre-ringing.

How did he feel about it after the post-cutting?

Capt... You missed an opportunity to cleanse the gene pool just a little.

__________________________________________________ ____________________

Dragon.... tell us, where were you checking for a pulse?
                        Last edited by PaladinKnight; 08-24-2010, 09:24 AM.
                        HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

• CaptOldTimer
                          Forum Member
                          • Jun 1999

[QUOTE=PaladinKnight;1199632]He must have thought it was a good idea at the time... pre-ringing.

How did he feel about it after the post-cutting?

Capt... You missed an opportunity to cleanse the gene pool just a little.

To say the least he was "swollen" and we had a hard time, no pun intended, trying to get the ring cutter in place with all of his screams and begging. As is usually does it cut sometimes and he was bleeding when we finally got it off. The transporters took him in to a local er for treatment. I doubt say it may have caused some damage as he said it had been on there about an hour when he called for help.

Yeah, we probably should have cut the old thing off and saved the world.
                          Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

• BKDRAFT
                            Forum Member
                            • Mar 2003

We were sent to dirt colored water being discharged out of the faucet. Initially we thought the faucet might have broken off and the homeowner couldn't shut the water off. Turns out nothing was broken at all. It was just dirty when the faucet was opened. We were like yep it is dirty. Call a plumber. Have a nice night.

Comment

• rescueraver
                              Forum Member
                              • Mar 2010

i was rideing the box one night when we got a call for a impaled object. I go to the room after being told to "come in i am in the back room ". I went into the room to find a man with a towel over his lap. he proceded to show me his impaled object. A pen well inserted to the ureatha. I told him I cant remove it he needed to go to a hospital. during transport he explained it incressed his expirance. OKKKKK then.

Comment

• fire78n88
                                MembersZone Subscriber
                                • May 2005

Got called for a female in labor at Wal-Mart. I realized upon seeing the patient that it was an old ex-girlfriend. Awkward!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...