X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dickey
    replied
    Originally posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    I started this thread asking a few questions primarily about the validity of this project.

I spoke face to face this morning with Daniel McNamara, President of Detroit IAFF Local 0344. He informed me of the following points:

1. He is aware of the project and his Executive Board is working closely with the producers to bring the film to fruition.

2. The producers are currently soliciting donations so that filming can be done prior to receiving financial backing that will be necessary to complete the film.

3. The film is to be released as a documentary, not a for profit motion picture. The money received is to cover the project and pay salaries. Any money left over, if any will be donated to charity, most likely those that benefit firefighters.

4. The Detroit Local is discussing the project with the IAFF General Presisdent while in San Diego and is trying to get financial support from the International.

5. This is not being done by a fly by night film company. The producers are based out of Los Angeles and have won Emmy's and several nominations for previous work.

Based on this information, I will make a personal donation and will make a motion that my Local do the same - even if it means that one Detroit firefighter thinks that will mean that I have less money for whacker stickers for my helmet. According to the FDA, there are currently a few extra bad eggs in every bunch.
    Thank you for posting this. I actually found the same info when I searched it but I'm glad you beat me to it so I didn't have to type it.

Makes a lot more sense now. I think it would be a worthy cause now with this information.

Leave a comment:

• Acklan
    replied
    Originally posted by detroitfire1552 View Post
    Point proven. No membership ever gets 100% on anything. How many people show up to your union meetings? What else is making you angry today? Is there anything else you feel you need to say to me about this? Have you made your point? This is all starting to blurrrrrr together.[/b]
    We have enough support to beat the streets and pass and pass a tax (a permanent tax) with 81%+ of the vote. We have a very poor turn out at our meetings, but then again our union has an excellent relationship with the Mayor's office and parish council. We really don't have many issues to debate. Most of our meeting are about fund raiser for the charities, we support, legal issues. MDA, breast cancer research, reports from the IAFF, state legislation,..
    Blurrrring together? Maybe you need a nap rookie.

I never once said I have all the answers. I said that if you know how to read it is possible you may be able to comprehend the information provided on the internet by the makers of the film.

Most people aren't worried about tax deductions for a few dollars? You may want to consult your local tax-man for those answers. [/b]
    I thought you could share your words of wisdom about this film, but alas this is something you obviously no little or nothing about. I really don't care about the deductions, I was curious.

It must be tough to be king. [b]I bet you have never called anyone cheap in your whole life. In fact everyone out there reading this post... If you have never called anyone cheap in your life I want to hear from you... [b]
    In fact start a new thread in the same forum and title it "I'm the best, I never do wrong, kiss my feet".
    Why do you personally feel insulted? Are you the guy that doesn't tip the waitress Mr. Pink? Do you ask for a tax deduction when you donate money to the local vfw, lions club, MDA FILL THE BOOT??? How is it possible that I made you mad over this? Go to church bro, say a prayer, relax a bit. The world isn't such a terrible place. The black helicopter isn't following you.

No no, being king is quite easy. You know nothing about being king, it is "Kiss my ring". Why would I want a mere mortal soiling my feet.
    You mentioned being thin skinned in an earlier post. You must be the life of the party at your station. You have the Chief's number on speed dial, I'll bet. Honestly I have never called anyone cheap, never.
    Actually I do not feel insulted. I just want to **** you off. Mission accomplished. If you can't take the heat become a cop.
    Actually I go to Chapel between 4:00 and 5:00 am every day. I will say a prayer for you, to find command of temper.

Thank you by the way to the few people that did stick up for me. You don't know me at all and I appreciate it! I didn't do anything wrong here. I spoke my mind and offended a few penny pinchers. I am sorry you few fellows are so easily offended.

Don't let your meat loaf
    I know all I need to know about you. You can dish it out, but you cannot take it. You are sooooo easy.

Leave a comment:

• GTRider245
    replied
    Why don't you just appologize for acting rash, everyone will hug and life will go on.

Leave a comment:

• detroitfire1552
    replied
    [QUOTE=Acklan;1200413]You are the one wading in here with a chip on your shoulder, I was giving you a chance to clear up some questions. Like about the tax deductions, since you seem to have all the answers.

100% support of all the fire fighters in my department? Never. QUOTE] Point proven. No membership ever gets 100% on anything. How many people show up to your union meetings? What else is making you angry today? Is there anything else you feel you need to say to me about this? Have you made your point? This is all starting to blurrrrrr together.

I never once said I have all the answers. I said that if you know how to read it is possible you may be able to comprehend the information provided on the internet by the makers of the film.

Most people aren't worried about tax deductions for a few dollars? You may want to consult your local tax-man for those answers.

It must be tough to be king. I bet you have never called anyone cheap in your whole life. In fact everyone out there reading this post... If you have never called anyone cheap in your life I want to hear from you...
    In fact start a new thread in the same forum and title it "I'm the best, I never do wrong, kiss my feet".
    Why do you personally feel insulted? Are you the guy that doesn't tip the waitress Mr. Pink? Do you ask for a tax deduction when you donate money to the local vfw, lions club, MDA FILL THE BOOT??? How is it possible that I made you mad over this? Go to church bro, say a prayer, relax a bit. The world isn't such a terrible place. The black helicopter isn't following you.

Thank you by the way to the few people that did stick up for me. You don't know me at all and I appreciate it! I didn't do anything wrong here. I spoke my mind and offended a few penny pinchers. I am sorry you few fellows are so easily offended.

Don't let your meat loaf

Leave a comment:

• Acklan
    replied
    Right out the box you attack anyone who did not donate to the project. If it is such a great cause why are the members of the DFD not funding it? I would imagine you have well over 1000 FFs. At $100 per FF that would raise $100,000. Why are DFD's finest not ponying up? They will directly benefit from the PR. 3 year and only about $7,000? Sounds like your own do not believe in the project.
    By the way, what makes this a tax deductible venture anyways?

1. All of the info on this project could be found online.
    2. The trailer was just released
    3. $7000 over a few weeks is nice
    4. You are very correct that if 1000 FF's from detroit donated 100 that would equal 10,000. When is the last time that 100% of your membership (assuming you are a firefighter) pulled together to do something big like that? Almost impossible to do.
    5. I never said anything about this being tax deductible. You must have found that during your own research.
    6. The "attack" was on anyone that would not even contemplate donating to this project.

If this doc is soooooooooo uninteresting and noooooooobody cares about it or detroit... why is this thread here?
    You are the one wading in here with a chip on your shoulder, I was giving you a chance to clear up some questions. Like about the tax deductions, since you seem to have all the answers.
    BURN is a sponsored project of Fractured Atlas, a non-profit arts service organization. Contributions in behalf of BURN may be made payable to Fractured Atlas and are tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law.
    1000x$100=100,000 use a calculator sport.
    100% support of all the fire fighters in my department? Never. But then again we have not gone on a world forum and insulted other fire fighters for not donating. More than likely some may have donated, and some may still, but you surely will get fewer now, than before your insulting and crass remark about the WackPak.
    Let me ask you this. Has your union ask the members to donate? You know so much, how much of the proceeds will go to helping the fire fighters. If you do not know and\or it is not in writing you don't have squat. I am sure many here could tell stories about "Non Profits" making $$$$$ and the "Charity" getting zip. Probability a 501(c)3 corp. The charity will be lucky to see 10ยข on the dollar.
    Bottom line is your department, if you are a fire fighter (I heard that line some wheres), will benefit if this movie is made so why would someone donate to someone who is being so ugly? I, for one, see no reason to donate if all DFD members have the same attitude as you.

Leave a comment:

• detroitfire1552
    replied
    Way too much testosterone in this thread. I guess you guys have never had an argument at the firehouse? Memphis I could search your over 1000 posts on the boards to see if you ever said anything that ****ed someone off but I am going to guess that you are perfect. You can't have such this skin. All of you. Really?

Originally posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    I started this thread asking a few questions primarily about the validity of this project.

I spoke face to face this morning with Daniel McNamara, President of Detroit IAFF Local 0344. He informed me of the following points:

1. He is aware of the project and his Executive Board is working closely with the producers to bring the film to fruition.

2. The producers are currently soliciting donations so that filming can be done prior to receiving financial backing that will be necessary to complete the film.

3. The film is to be released as a documentary, not a for profit motion picture. The money received is to cover the project and pay salaries. Any money left over, if any will be donated to charity, most likely those that benefit firefighters.

4. The Detroit Local is discussing the project with the IAFF General Presisdent while in San Diego and is trying to get financial support from the International.

5. This is not being done by a fly by night film company. The producers are based out of Los Angeles and have won Emmy's and several nominations for previous work.

Based on this information, I will make a personal donation and will make a motion that my Local do the same - even if it means that one Detroit firefighter thinks that will mean that I have less money for whacker stickers for my helmet. According to the FDA, there are currently a few extra bad eggs in every bunch.
    Thank you for posting the extra info on the project. Like I said in a previous post, with a little research this info was online. You could even email the people making the project and they will gladly get back with you. Maybe you aren't such a bad guy anyways.

MMMMMMMmmmmmmm eggs!

Cheers stay low
    Detroitfire

Leave a comment:

• detroitfire1552
    replied
    Right out the box you attack anyone who did not donate to the project. If it is such a great cause why are the members of the DFD not funding it? I would imagine you have well over 1000 FFs. At $100 per FF that would raise $100,000. Why are DFD's finest not ponying up? They will directly benefit from the PR. 3 year and only about $7,000? Sounds like your own do not believe in the project.

1. All of the info on this project could be found online.
    2. The trailer was just released
    3. $7000 over a few weeks is nice
    4. You are very correct that if 1000 FF's from detroit donated 100 that would equal 10,000. When is the last time that 100% of your membership (assuming you are a firefighter) pulled together to do something big like that? Almost impossible to do.
    5. I never said anything about this being tax deductible. You must have found that during your own research.
    6. The "attack" was on anyone that would not even contemplate donating to this project.

If this doc is soooooooooo uninteresting and noooooooobody cares about it or detroit... why is this thread here?

Leave a comment:

• MemphisE34a
    replied
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 08-25-2010, 04:35 PM. Reason: Duplicate post

Leave a comment:

• ULTRAMAGGNUS
    replied
    if it makes you feel any better, Memphis is an arm pit of a city too

Leave a comment:

• sweetpete
    replied
    I agree with Acklan and Memphis. If this film's as good as DFD thinks it's going to be, then there should be all sorts of big $$ backers looking to get their names / products in the credits.

If someone comes on here looking for donations, be ready to face some heat. In case you haven't realized, the whole country is hurting, not just Detroit. And before you think I'm out of touch, I was born and raised and worked in Cleveland, OH which is a mirror to Detroit (only with NO world championships in the last 60 years). And now I work in the shadow of the 4th largest city in the country which is also hurting.

So, I know how hard everyone's getting beat up by this economy.

Memphis is "calling a spade a spade". I can't fault him for that.

Leave a comment:

• MemphisE34a
    replied

Leave a comment:

• nameless
    replied
    what will they do with the profits once they market this thing? Will my donation go to help them line their pockets or will they donate the profits to a charity?

Leave a comment:

• Acklan
    replied
    I didn't know that I was not allowed to comment about something I feel strong about. I could see you coming after me if I was on here saying things like "please help "me" I run at the engine house that will be filmed" but no I don't I am miles away. Hope you wake up on the right side of the bed tomorrow.
    You have every right to post almost anything you want here, but when you try to brow beat others into donating for something they know little or nothing about expect to be challenged on it.

I can say the film crew was here and they do want to make this film. I guess you can't give up that wack pack money to make your helmets pretty? The firefighters of detroit will probably pitch in and take care of it so all of you can watch our story.

Leave a comment:

• detroitfire1552
    replied
    wow some brotherhood.

You would think I started this thread or something

Good work memphis. Relax "BRO"

I didn't know that I was not allowed to comment about something I feel strong about. I could see you coming after me if I was on here saying things like "please help "me" I run at the engine house that will be filmed" but no I don't I am miles away. Hope you wake up on the right side of the bed tomorrow.

Also I have never made a film but I am guessing that I would need to pay for most of it myself unless some major network did want to back it. I am very sorry I offended the people on here that were not going to donate anything anyways.

I work here. I see this story every day I walk into the firehouse. I figured maybe some people out there that aren't as busy might like to see what "Backdraft" or "ladder 49" was supposed to be like. I am sure many guys from major cities everywhere would like their stories told. This won't be your typical "fire buff" film (documentary) where guys sit in front of the house and watch. If you want that go to youtube. If you want a real story that I think many would like to see, memphis of course not included, go ahead and donate your hard earned money.

It is ok to love the city you live in. It is ok to love your job. I do. Sorry some of you don't love your cities and have to pick on us!

Stay low
    Detroitfire

Leave a comment:

• tny1771
    replied
    Last edited by tny1771; 09-04-2010, 06:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X