No announcement yet.

Sleep time for 24 hour shifts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see what both of you are saying and perhaps this is a different circumstance, but here is an example of what I am talking about:

This has been years ago, but I know of a small department in Mississippi that was paid for 18 hours per 24 hour shift due to "sleep" time. They were similarly paid overtime for hours that were up on calls between 2300 - 0600 hours.

They eventually raised such a rukus that the town changed their payscales so that they would be paid for the entire 24 hour shift. To accomplish this they merely reduced their hourly wage so that they made the same amount of money for 24 hours that they were previously making in 18.

I do not know their actualy payscales at the time, but for arguments sake, lets say they were making $200 a shift. Now instead of making $11.11 per hour for 18 hours, they were making $8.33 for 24. So NO overtime during any 24 hour shift and any extra overtime shift they pulled were worth $299.88 instead of $399.96 at their old hourly rate.

I guess they showed them!

My point was that that in essence we are salaried or dollars per shift employees. You are better off with the highest hourly rate possible. If they want to say they are paying me for 10 hours a day and the rest is leisure time, so be it. Overtime days will be worth A LOT more!!!
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
    Working...
    X