X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrisB17
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2010

Cairns 1010 question.

Hi, I am not to sure if this is the right place to ask this. But anyways, I was wondering if there was a mod/kit of some kind or something on those lines to make the helmet from falling off my head.

I am currently training for the truck class and when I am in the bucket or climbing the ladder it just wants to fall off. I have it so tight I cant even move my jaw sometimes. I will be getting a leather helm in a few months. But I am wondering if there is a fix to this temporary issue now.

Thanks.
    Big and Tall Firefighter.
  • S.B.6.F.D
    Forum Member
    • Jun 2010

Did you check the Fire Store? Hope this helped.

Comment

• PaladinKnight
      Forum Member
      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by ChrisB17
      Hi, I am not to sure if this is the right place to ask this. But anyways, I was wondering if there was a mod/kit of some kind or something on those lines to make the helmet from falling off my head.

I am currently training for the truck class and when I am in the bucket or climbing the ladder it just wants to fall off. I have it so tight I cant even move my jaw sometimes. I will be getting a leather helm in a few months. But I am wondering if there is a fix to this temporary issue now.

Thanks.
      Chris... I know this is a serious question, but bear with me for a moment.

I know you are proud and full of energy. Could it be the helmet is not the issue, but that your head has changed its shape, perhaps a bit swelled. Mine did for awhile until I got my butt kicked, then it returned to normal.

By the way, welcome to the truck trainee club... you know I am just picking on you.

I think part of this is just getting used to the helmet. Work on it until you like it. If it sits too high, work on the suspension system inside. Just don't try to get too creative and render it unusable. If you still cannot make it work, go to the Equip Officer and see if he can solve it.

No one has a perfect head, and the helmet mfgs try to cover as much ground as possible with off the shelf stuff.

By a matter of policy, we do not let anyone jack with, or alter, their equipment. No add-ons unless it is adopted by policy or order. Exceptions can be requested if they can think of a good enough reason. Haven't heard many of those...

Welcome again...
      HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

• FireMedic049
        Forum Member
        • Aug 2007

I'm just trying to figure out what he could possibly be doing that the helmet ratchet and a chinstrap can't keep the helmet on his head.

Comment

• Rescue101
          Forum Member
          • Jun 2001

Originally posted by FireMedic049
          I'm just trying to figure out what he could possibly be doing that the helmet ratchet and a chinstrap can't keep the helmet on his head.
          NOT adjusting it? Hehe T.C.

Comment

• DeputyChiefGonzo
            Forum Member
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by FireMedic049
            Maybe he looks like Zippy the Pinhead?
            ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
            Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

• ChrisB17
              Forum Member
              • Apr 2010

I got big head :o I do adjust the helm to where I can get it to stay. But its not comfortable. One of the firefighters at the station let me try on his N5A and it was like a night and day difference. It felt right and was balanced. The 1010 seems to be much higher and less balanced.
              Big and Tall Firefighter.

Comment

• PaladinKnight
                Forum Member
                • Aug 2006

Originally posted by ChrisB17
                I got big head
                You heard it hear first folks... finally someone admits they have a bid head.

Sorry Chris, you set that one up... you must be careful about what you say and how you say it.

If this is a department issued helmet, consult with the equipment officer or your Chief, or whoever you report to for PPE. There is no modification for the 1010 that I am aware of. I have had this issue with the 1010 not fitting on some guys heads. I usually try another helmet or manufacturer, but they are all similiar. If you already have adjusted everything out, there doesn't seem to be anythng more you can do except change it out or tough it out and wait for the leather.
                HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...