Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have an Individual Station Budget that you manage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheif engineer: We have a similar program for our dept.
    We officers have to do a projected budget each September to present to our board of directors.
    We track annual expenses for the common consumable items covering everything from toilet paper to medical supplies used on the ambulance. We know how much fuel, normal maintenance cost to expect for the fleet and have a % allowance for the unexpected such as a tire replacement.
    Our finance committee set up a level of funding they feel we should have in Capitol replacement reserves, and a catastrophic failure fund what we feel would be needed in the case of say a pump ,transmission or engine failure occurred. Accident damage or loss of a vehicle will be covered by insurance, but we felt it prudent to have the funds available for those unknown but possible failures.
    We have to present a 5 & 10 year financial plan to the board and the town based on what major capitol purchases will be needed and when. This plan is updated every year and some items are carried over from year to year until the funding is spent.

By doing this type of SWAG , we have been able to plan ahead and have the funding available when we need a new ambulance or engine.
    When we built our last truck we knew what we needed and how much funding was available for our medium duty rescue. { buff calls it a mini me rescue], but it does the job we need and can get up & down our small rural roads.

We wrote 1 check when the builder received the chassis, 1 check when the truck was ready for paint , and the final check when the builder delivered it to us ready for service. All of these funds came from CD's that were coming due and had been earmarked for vehicle replacement. We put the truck in service with no debt and used the budgeted equipment acct to outfit it with equipment we didn't already own.

Financial stability requires a sound financial plan & the will power to live by the guidelines set in place by our board. I've never been told no to an equipment purchase as long as it was planned or could be covered by the contingency acct.

Our budget has over 60 line items and the treasurer & book keeper let us know if we are getting close to overspending any given line acct.

Comment

Nice work, island fire. Your system sounds very similar to ours. But I suppose it should be pointed out that while we have models that work, there are others. The most important thing, as we learned, is to know your cost of doing business, and plan ahead.

By the way, I've been threatening to take a road trip up into northern New England to visit a few firehouses. Yours is one that I wanted to come to. Should I manage to pull it off, I suppose our illustrious counterpart in Bridgton would be able to direct me?

Comment

Originally posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
        Nice work, island fire. Your system sounds very similar to ours. But I suppose it should be pointed out that while we have models that work, there are others. The most important thing, as we learned, is to know your cost of doing business, and plan ahead.

By the way, I've been threatening to take a road trip up into northern New England to visit a few firehouses. Yours is one that I wanted to come to. Should I manage to pull it off, I suppose our illustrious counterpart in Bridgton would be able to direct me?
        Be glad to host you CE. I believe that TC could find it without too much trouble, even though he lives on the farrrrr side of the county.. :=}
        Late sept, early October is a good time to visit. Less tourists and some of the best weather here on the coast.

Comment

Well.............

Originally posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
          We are always happy to consider class Medics.

I realize that Randy, Sam, and I are the only ones here that will understand why, But I'm rolling on the Floor Laughing at the above comment.

And don't tell Don....................
          Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
          In memory of
          Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
          Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Originally posted by hwoods View Post
            i realize that randy, sam, and i are the only ones here that will understand why, but i'm rolling on the floor laughing at the above comment.

And don't tell don.................... :d :d
            ooooh kaaaay!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...