Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting Classroom to Bunk Room - Help Needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FyredUp
    replied
    2 of the 3 stations bunkrooms with the FD I just retired from were unisex. Grow up, get over it, and make sure everyone wheres a minimum of shorts and a t-shirt to bed.

Leave a comment:

• DeputyChiefGonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by neiowa View Post
    I was just reading an AP story yesterday on the subject. Coed dorm rooms are all the rage in trendy colleges with more than 50 schools (coed rooms not floors or buildings). The kiddies pay room/board and get a girl roomie. Pretty much same as a full time bordello. Hot/cold running moral support for days when drinking and play cards at school get too stressful.
    Not necessarily...

Leave a comment:

• neiowa
    replied
    Originally posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    Tried that in college...

It lasted about one day.... until the admin found out about it.
    I was just reading an AP story yesterday on the subject. Coed dorm rooms are all the rage in trendy colleges with more than 50 schools (coed rooms not floors or buildings). The kiddies pay room/board and get a girl roomie. Pretty much same as a full time bordello. Hot/cold running moral support for days when drinking and play cards at school get too stressful.

Leave a comment:

• johnny46
    replied
    True egalitarianism would demand shared quarters and no special bathrooms or locks on bathroom doors.

Leave a comment:

• FireRescue61
    replied
    I herd a firefighter once say who worked in a station with a unisex bunk room (I forget if male/female) "We don't care if we see each other in our underwear in the morning".

Leave a comment:

• FireRescue61
    replied
    Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Did you somehow miss the whole "we are an industrial fire department" thing?
    Yes, I did read that, but I wondered why they are on the wall in a case. (obviously for training)
    Last edited by FireRescue61; 08-12-2010, 11:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DeputyChiefGonzo
    replied
    Tried that in college...

So you got caught, eh?

Leave a comment:

• PaladinKnight
    replied
    Bible Belt?

Leave a comment:

• yjbrody64
    replied
    Originally posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    And here I thought most departments were like ours. No separation of the dorms. All the women sleep in the same area as the men do. As far as I know, it's never been an issue.

The only separation is, yep, the heads.

FM1
    Yup, same here with no issues. Wonder if it's a regional thing or eek dare I say an East/West thing?

Leave a comment:

• FIREMECH1
    replied
    Originally posted by LVFD301
    It is a fricken shame we can't act like adults and have unisex dorms.
    And here I thought most departments were like ours. No separation of the dorms. All the women sleep in the same area as the men do. As far as I know, it's never been an issue.

The only separation is, yep, the heads.

FM1

Leave a comment:

• islandfire03
    replied
    We did this and call them PODS. Each member has their own POD, measuring about 8 x 8 feet. The issue will be adequate ventilation to each POD. They are just used for sleeping or private time and don't require much space.

There is enough room for a twin bed, a small desk and a locking closet for personal items. We installed small Monitors on the walls so they can watch cable.

What more could you ask for? A clean bed, room for your laptop, free cable TV (that you don't have to fight for the remote)....

Room Service perhaps...
    Exactly what I was thinking about. We had these same setups when I was stationed overseas. We converted a couple of long store rooms into dorm cubicles so the we could each have a small private space to get away from the crowd , & sleeping without listening to the neighbor snore . [or expell gas]/
    We split the hvac line into individual drops for each cubicle and put louvers in the doors for exhaust. Worked well at a reasonable cost. All steel stud and drywall with insulation in walls for soundproofing.

Leave a comment:

• PaladinKnight
    replied
    Tried that in college...

Leave a comment:

• LVFD301
    replied
    It is a fricken shame we can't act like adults and have unisex dorms.

Leave a comment:

• PaladinKnight
    replied
    Originally posted by islandfire03 View Post
    What are the dimensions of the room to be sub-divided into bunk rooms?
    that will give a lot better idea of how to make it work.
    Also are both women on same shift?
    If the room is wide enough made it into a row of cubicles with sliding pocket doors on each cubicle opening onto the common hall which will give access to both egresses.
    More ideas after you get the dimensions.
    We did this and call them PODS. Each member has their own POD, measuring about 8 x 8 feet. The issue will be adequate ventilation to each POD. They are just used for sleeping or private time and don't require much space.

There is enough room for a twin bed, a small desk and a locking closet for personal items. We installed small Monitors on the walls so they can watch cable.

What more could you ask for? A clean bed, room for your laptop, free cable TV (that you don't have to fight for the remote)....

Room Service perhaps...

Leave a comment:

• PaladinKnight
    replied
    Originally posted by nameless View Post
    issue unisex pjs and just have a unisex bunk room.
    I know this is a serious issue and we should not make light of it......

but.....

Pajama Party!

Station #1

Begins at 0 Dark 30.

Be there or be square.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse